Thanksgiving present

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    My mom gave me a gun that was my great grandfathers. It is a 1925 Colt 1903 .32 ACP. The gun has the matching serial number 462XXX. Now, this appears to fall in line with the serial number for the Type III buing built in 1925-1926; however, the gun doesn't look like a Type III. It looks like a Type IV. I had a theory that this may have been built at the end of the production life for the Type III and the tooling was changed over and it was produced along side the Type III, but I'm not sure. I've asked some Colt people for some more insight. I may have an odd gun (marked by Colt as a Type III by SN but was one of the first Type IVs). Here is a quick camera pic:

colt32.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Very nice! Was he the original owner? I'd bet Colt could tell you a lot more- dates shipped, what dealer, etc.
    You planning on shooting it?

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I'm pretty sure he was the original owner. I plan on buying a few magazines, cleaning the barrel and firing mechanism up a bit and taking her to the range. However, I am not going to reparkerize it or repair any blemishes. To me, that adds to the character of the gun. My great-grandfather (Army WWI) gave it to my grandfather (Army-Air Corps WWII) who gave it to my uncle (Navy Vietnam) who gave it to my mom to give to me (Marine Corps). They would want me to make sure it gets its use like any good gun should. It will go to my nephew (he's 2) when he is responsible enough to know the significance behind it.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Psh, get rid of that piece of junk!!! Actually, while youre at it, give it to me!!!

Haha. Just kidding.

Ive got one from the 1905 era, and its in the 16XXX range. Its a type I, but its mechanically perfect. Surprisingly, the barrel has almost perfect rifling.

Good luck finding ANYTHING for it since egay stopped firearm parts sales. Clips pull top dollar unless you get knockoffs.

Also, take care of those grips. They are damn near impossible to find!!!!

Have fun with it, its a pricey little bugger to shoot

DAVE

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Thanks for the info! Turns out mine is a Type III but was built at the end of the Type III cycle and looks like a Type IV. Not too many of them around.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've heard Krylon works just as well as Duracoat. Pick up some at the local hardware and give it a shot! It'll look as good as new!

Just kidding... that really is nice. I think I'd fire it a few times to make sure it worked (and videotape it!). Then I'd put it in a nice velvet lined shadow box frame on the wall...

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    That sounds like an idea. I know I want to fire it, but I don't have a magazine so I need to order one (mag=$$). I think I may shadowbox it with his medals.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, you could always just shoot one round at a time. :p

Like everyone else said, just "make sure it works" and then put it somewhere safe. You can't do anything but hurt its value (both historical and financial) at this point.

And very nice pistol!

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    Congratulations on the Colt. Coincidentally I have one too. My father-in-law recently gave it to me, it was his fathers. My serial number is 371XXX. Mine doesn't look nearly as good as yours, one difference I see are the grips, mine doesn't have a Colt medallion. The word "Colt" and the horse are made into the plastic grips. I've shot mine a few times to try it out. It shot perfect, and was really smooth.

History question? Wasn't this the same type of gun that killed Huey P. Long?

BTW I just joined this forum. I live in NW Louisiana and have too many guns (according to my wife) ROFL

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have a 1920-1921 Type III (same as mine, but on mid cycle build of this model version). Here is an awesome website for our gun:

http://www.coltautos.com/default.asp

Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP Serial Number 106716 Early Type III (left side) - with integrated barrel bushing and 3 3/4" barrel. (.32 sn range 105001 - 468000) (.380 sn range 6251 - 93000) This example, serial number 106716 (ca. 1910) has the early high polish finish and turquoise blue trigger, thumb safety, thumb safety screw, extractor, grip screw, magazine release and slide plug. It retains much of its original high polish blue finish. It has the Type I checkered Hard Rubber grips with the Rampant Colt in a circle at the bottom of each grip. Full blued magazine has an unmarked floorplate

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks for the information, I'll be sharing it with my father-in-law. It might be interesting for me to make an inquiry with Colt to see some history on my guns serial number.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    It was also a favorite concealed carry weapon for Bonnie and Clyde. :D

Hey penguin, check gunbroker for a clip, but make sure that it says the Colt .32 thing on the bottom of the mag. They put that on all the second gen and later guns.

I don't know how you guys can shoot so well with them. My hands wrap around that gun so much, its almost TOO small to hold. I can barely keep them in a 8" circle at 20 feet.

Hell, if youre ever down in the Lake Charles area, we should go through a box of ammo in them. Nothing wrong with making some boom with an old school hand cannon.

Oh yeah, is that JAY PEL on the holster? I would really love to find a nice little leather holster to keep it in.

Thanks - DAVE

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    a lot of the mechanics seem very similar to a Portuguese Astra 9mm from WWII that I have. Its awesome, best 9mm I have ever shot...no question about it.

Top Bottom