The Old Rust Bucket

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Tired and wishing I was still in bed, I closed the door to Bob's car as my brother sat half asleep in the back seat. It was November and in Mississippi it was not cold, but we were fortunate to have a slight cool front that moved in the day before and 45 degrees was just fine with us. It would take an hour and half to drive to a place along the Pearl River just south of Columbia, Mississippi.

I was pondering just where I would set up and hunt for a big buck and was reviewing in my mind all the info of past scouting trips. When all of a sudden I yelled out, "stop the car now!!!" It had dawned on me that I might have forgotten my bullets for my rifle. Bob came to a quick stop while yelling, "what's wrong?" I leaped out of the car and ran around the back and opened the trunk to realize my worst fears. No bullets!! That's right, I for got them.

I looked up at Bob and my brother Steve as they stood frozen, not smiling or making a move, knowing my possible mood. What a bummer!! I looked at them and since we were almost there I said, "Well guys, I will have to just go along and take pictures with my camera". I was trying to act like it was no big deal but I was so disappointed and angry with myself.

Just then I heard the most hopeful words a dejected hunter could hear standing along a lonely back road in Mississippi at 4:30 in the morning with no rifle to use and a blown day of hunting. "I have a 30-30 in the bottom of my trunk" said Bob. He went on to say, "I have not used it in three years but my brother used it two years ago, but he didn't shoot anything with it."

I looked up at Bob in disbelief because no way would I have kept any rifle I owned in the trunk of a car for three years. I said, "What, you have a rifle that has been in your trunk for three years? He looked embarrassed and just drop his head. I asked him, "Do you have any ammo for it?" "Oh yeah!" Bob responded with excitement, "the box got a little wet once but I think they will be ok. I bought them when I got the rifle and the six shots I took with the rifle were really accurate."

Here I was with a Winchester 94 30-30, that had rust all over one side as I sat there in the front seat of his car looking out the side window in disbelief. Of coarse it was my fault for leaving my ammo but that did not relieve my immediate felt depression. We drove down the old dirt road and parked were we usually parked. As we were exiting the car I could see a grin on my little brothers face. He new I was looking for a big buck that we had been scouting, and he also new where I needed to setup was a good 125yds from where we all thought he might come - and I had a rusty 30-30 with open sights.

Well, there I was setting in my latter stand about 12 feet off the ground. I had no idea if this rusty old 30-30 with iron sights could hit the side of a barn much less the heart lung area of a deer. Daylight was upon me and the oak bottom was very still with leaves falling to the ground at the slightest breeze. What a morning and the conditions were so right for the deer to move in that bottom which ran along the river.

I hadn't been in that stand for 40 minutes and here he came, just walking taking his time and it was the buck I was looking for. "This can't be happening to me today, why, me, why today?" as I talked to myself. I really had to hold all my other thoughts in the back of my mind while telling myself, "Put the sights on the heart and pull the trigger don't do any guessing" as I hoped that this neglected 30-30 and 150gr Remington ammo would be on target.

I pulled the trigger and to my surprise some 50yds away that big old boy just fell in this tracks. "WOW!!!! I got him!!" yelling at the top of my voice. I waited for a little while and I saw no movement, so I climbed down from my stand. I walked over to the dead 8 point and the hole was exactly where I had put the sights. I sure was lucky that day using an old rusty 30-30 that bailed me out and made my hunt a true success.

I wonder how many times the 30-30 has made someone's hunt a sure thing, leaving good memories for years to come? I gave Bob's rifle a name that he still uses for his 30-30 to this day, "The Old Rust Bucket".

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    My father was not a hunter, and he was also cheap. He did get us into a lease when I was a child because we wanted to hunt. My Uncle loaned me an old winchester 30/30 to use. I was around 10 years old. This rifle was covered with rust. It was so bad it actually had corrosion on it and it took everything I had to operate the lever. By some miracle it always shot straight. One Sunday aftternoon we are about to head home. The lease president is standing there picking on me about my rifle. He is the type of guy that had the latest and greatest of rifles and pistols and everything else. He then challenges me to a competition. Someoune else was to take a can of coke and throw it in the air at the pond. After it hit the water the first person to hit it won. He was holding some kind of automatic pistol. I said o.k.. So another person launched the can and it hit the water at about 50yds. I pulled the trigger the instant the can hit the water and the can exploded. Other guy never got a shot off, and I'v never seen a grown man be as mad at a child as he was at me. I guess he felt embarrassed. Not as good as your story, but It was one that that always stuck with me.

Last edited:

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Thanks guy, me and Bob still laugh about that day hunting. He felt so bad, that before the hunting season was over he had that rifle refinished. He still calls that now beautiful rifle "The Old Rust Bucket." Every time he tells someone its name, they ask him why, and Bob get's to tell the story all over again. I think he really gets a kick out of telling his hunting buddies about that day.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Years ago I got to my stand, it started raining, I didn't have any rain gear, and I forgot my bullets for my Marlin .44 Mag......in my rain coat. I was about p/o'd to say the least. Then I remembereI had A bullet in the tool can on my trike. I pulled it out, wiped it off and shoved it in the mag. Of course the follower was rusted up (it was an especially wet year) and wouldn't feed the bullet into the carrier. after some finagling, I got THE round to chamber and settled between the roots on the trunk of a cypress tree to afford some protection from the rain, wind, and cold.
    The drivers turned out the hounds 50 yards from me and they immediately jumped.....and headed in the opposite direction. About that time, a buck come slippin' towards me. I thumb cocked the hammer and when he was 10 ft. from me, let him have it in the boiler. I swear that deer come 10 ft off the ground and water sprayed from him like a sponge throw by Nolan Ryan against a wall. If youv'e ever hunted deer in the rain or water, you know what I'm sayin'.
    About 10 minutes later a driver comes by and ask if I had heard a shot. I said,"Yea,. I shot. The deer is right there." Dang ol' deer was so close the sound from the rifle didn't travel far, was almost muffled. He helped me load the deer up and let me go back to camp since I was so miserable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom