The Ruger Mark IV

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    I picked up a couple of Ruger Mark IV recently and shot one of them, the target edition. The only issue, and honestly the only issue is that it holds only 10 rounds.

But man, this thing shoots crisp, it is super accurate, and it was fun to shoot until 10 shots is done.

To tell you how fun it was, went to a family member's house, and he has an outdoor shooting range. I brought along this, my 10/22, FN 509, and my AR15. My nephew came along, and just held on to the Mark IV. He would fill both mags, put one in his pocket, walk to the steel plates, load the other mag in the gun, and start shooting. Once he emptied it, he removed it, loaded the second mag, and kept shooting. Funny and cute, but also like HEY MAN those cost 9 cents a round calm down. That is $1.80 you shot LOL.

So anyway, just wanted to say, I have shot a TX22 and this. While the Tx22 was nice, this felt way better in my bigger hands.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I picked up a couple of Ruger Mark IV recently and shot one of them, the target edition. The only issue, and honestly the only issue is that it holds only 10 rounds.

But man, this thing shoots crisp, it is super accurate, and it was fun to shoot until 10 shots is done.

To tell you how fun it was, went to a family member's house, and he has an outdoor shooting range. I brought along this, my 10/22, FN 509, and my AR15. My nephew came along, and just held on to the Mark IV. He would fill both mags, put one in his pocket, walk to the steel plates, load the other mag in the gun, and start shooting. Once he emptied it, he removed it, loaded the second mag, and kept shooting. Funny and cute, but also like HEY MAN those cost 9 cents a round calm down. That is $1.80 you shot LOL.

So anyway, just wanted to say, I have shot a TX22 and this. While the Tx22 was nice, this felt way better in my bigger hands.
    Yeah, the Ruger standards, browning buckmark, high standard and colt 22 auto target pistols have all been good to me and earned a place in my gun loving heart. Barely touch the trigger, gun goes pop, barely moves, hits on the target and pennies a shot. I’ve bagged my limit squirrel hunting with a suppressed Ruger equipped with a MRD and highly recommend it for some cheap fun. Hard to beat them!

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    Picked up a MKIV 22/45 lite very nice shoots like a charm Read some where that MK III 22/45 mags fit but you have to replace the bottom or do some cut work, It cost about the same to replace the bottom than buy new mags.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I've enjoyed Ruger 22 pistols. I know of a guy selling a pac lite 22lr with threaded barrel. What do you guys think that would be worth? It's supposed to be new in box.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have a couple of Ruger 22/45's and a TX22 and TX22 competitions. The competition model is just as accurate as the Ruger's so far, haven't tested both at 25 yards yet, but at 15 yds they both shot great. It also depends on ammo. The TX's didn't like subsonic, prefer high velocity.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

Yes, Ruger really hit the mark (no pun intended) on this one.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    High capacity .22 LR magazines can be problematic. That particular cartridge was never designed for box magazines (it was developed in the 1850's for revolvers), and it stacks really awkwardly. There are lots of good solutions for this; Ruger's own BX-25 magazine (for the 10/22 rifles) packs 25 rounds in a banana-shaped magazine. But that obviously wouldn't work well in a traditional pistol grip magazine.

That said, I've always loved Ruger target pistols. If you have the money and the inclination, I think the Smith & Wesson Model 41 is a better gun ... but it's priced much higher and has much less on the aftermarket for farkling it out. For the money, it's tough to beat the Ruger for its build quality, reliability, and ubiquity in the market.

The pre-Mark IV Rugers were often criticized for being complex to field strip (and even more complex to detail strip). I never really had a problem doing either ... I always just took my time, and everything went together and worked properly. But the Mark IV certainly makes it easier to field strip.

Some years back I had a very early Ruger Standard with a four digit serial number and the original box, that dated to 1950 (before Alexander Sturm died). I still regret having sold it.

Mike

Flubb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2022
    OR
    High capacity .22 LR magazines can be problematic.
    They can be but boy Taurus seems to have cracked it. My TX22 is astonishingly reliable across the board, while my Ruger Mark 3 chokes after a few mags shot suppressed. It's been 3,000 rounds since I last cleaned my TX22. lol

It would be incredible if somebody made a Mark IV lower that took TX22 mags!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    They can be but boy Taurus seems to have cracked it. My TX22 is astonishingly reliable across the board, while my Ruger Mark 3 chokes after a few mags shot suppressed. It's been 3,000 rounds since I last cleaned my TX22. lol

It would be incredible if somebody made a Mark IV lower that took TX22 mags!
    Do yourself a huge favor, you’ll thank me later. Go to Tandem Kross and order a couple of twin packs of their wingman mag bumpers for your TX. You’ll get +5 rounds per mag and they feed flawlessly. You do have to give up the thumb assist on most mags with the bumpers, as I had to do the same with my Walther mags, but it’s well worth it! I have a couple of these pistols and I keep them both equipped like this for when I go shoot. Nice to shoot a hundred rounds before reloading. Extra mags are about $20 each from Taurus, btw.

Attachments

• D6895A9E-D6C9-44E7-8EB9-14FB7B7D50B2.jpeg
      D6895A9E-D6C9-44E7-8EB9-14FB7B7D50B2.jpeg
      812.2 KB · Views: 95

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a Mark 3 Hunter. I can not count the amount of rabbits I have taken with it on the sides of trails over the years. Hit a couple at almost 100 yards with plain ole iron sites that it came with.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I keep hearing from a lot of people how the Taurus TX22 is very accurate. I just can't imagine how a double-stack titling-barrel is more or just as accurate as single-stacked fixed-barrel guns, especially when the other guns are bigger and heavier.

I want to try a little blend of the old with the new-Sig P322

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    I've got a 22/45 lite Mark IV with a red dot and a suppressor that thing is a laser gun. Both in looks and accuracy. It is the one gun I always bring with me to the range.

Flubb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2022
    OR
    Do yourself a huge favor, you’ll thank me later. Go to Tandem Kross and order a couple of twin packs of their wingman mag bumpers for your TX. You’ll get +5 rounds per mag and they feed flawlessly. You do have to give up the thumb assist on most mags with the bumpers, as I had to do the same with my Walther mags, but it’s well worth it! I have a couple of these pistols and I keep them both equipped like this for when I go shoot. Nice to shoot a hundred rounds before reloading. Extra mags are about $20 each from Taurus, btw.
    I have a couple already, love those! It's surprising that they don't affect reliability but the extended mags I have work just as well as the 10 or so 16 rounders.

Flubb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2022
    OR
    I keep hearing from a lot of people how the Taurus TX22 is very accurate. I just can't imagine how a double-stack titling-barrel is more or just as accurate as single-stacked fixed-barrel guns, especially when the other guns are bigger and heavier.

My regular TX22 isn't very accurate but my Competition is pretty accurate, owing to the optic being mounted directly onto the barrel I think. They're pretty loose guns though, I wouldn't put them in the same category as a target pistol for sure. They have fixed barrels by the way, they fit into a rail in the frame similar to how a Beretta 92 barrel does. Only looser. lol

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    Mark IVs are really nice, I ended up with 3. Looking for my 4th, the 10 inch target model. I would be satisfied with blued or stainless. Ruger support is the best, if something goes wrong they fix it or send you the parts if you want to do it yourself. Replaced a lot of firing pin rebound springs.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie

My TX22 Competition is a tack driver and outshoots me for sure. It's right up there with my S&W Victory. I haven't brought my MKII to the range in forever, probably because the other two are suppressor ready though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom