Threading Nylon 66 Barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Musicmasterd12

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Slidell
    Anyone know where I can get a nylon 66 barrel threaded? I’ve seen someone do it without removing front sight. But if it needs to be moved it’ll have to be drilled and tapped for that as well.

So far I found a place that would do it for like $270 with thread protector, that just seems really high to me.

Anyone know what the going price for that service should be?

nwfdub

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2020
    US
    FWIW I would try doing it yourself. The sight can be removed fairly easily. It's just a couple of screws. They sell threading alignment tools and dies. Carolina shooters supply sells a complete kit for $70. Just mark the front of the sight, don't thread past that. Then put sight back.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Heathen. If you are going to alter a Nylon 66, at least have a pro do it with a thread protector. If it requires moving the front sight, it'll cost a bit more.

Grumble grumble, #%@% Percussionists.

Price for a pro is going to be $100-$140, plus shipping.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Oh yea, . . . , Nylon 66s are a joy for gunsmiths to reassemble. Almost as much fun as a visible loader.

Musicmasterd12

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Slidell
    I acquired it a few years ago after my grandpa passed. He bought it sometime after Katrina, so not an overly sentimental thing. It’s not in perfect shape look wise but not bad. After getting my .22 suppressor I thought it may be a fun to shoot suppressed.

I figured it would be a cheap project to have it threaded. Was thinking $100 or so. $250+ just isn’t worth it to me and I’ll keep it as is. I definitely wouldn’t be comfortable doing it myself

I thought about buying another barrel and sending it out to someone who would do it for the price range I’m looking for, but that’s another $125+ investment for used barrel. Then I heard that swapping the barrel was kind of a pain so if I have to pay a gunsmith to do that, then that route definitely isn’t worth it either.

I’ve seen where someone was able to keep the sight in it’s current position and also where others have moved it further back

Last edited:

Musicmasterd12

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Slidell
    Pic of one that was threaded without moving front sight. Original crown left intact

6244C4D3-EE28-4167-AA4D-BAD698349D15.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom