Tickfaw S.P. weekend/ new camper / PICS ADDED

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Just back from a weekend testing out the new camper with my wife and daughter (dog boarded for the first trip)! Almost perfect camping weather (could have been cooler during the day and warmer at night...but that's the usual).

Friday I took off work a little early, loaded up, and hit the road around 4:30. Made it to the site around 6pm. Backed in (I've always been a backpacker so this backing up stuff needs more practice!) and started setting up.

A few notes... must plug in the AC before raising the roof, expanding bunks, hooking velcro, installing door. If you don't you can't reach the AC jack then you have to take down the roof, remove the door... grrr.... oh, well, no harm done.

Everything set up ok by 7:00. There's something to be said for tent camping- its a lot quicker and easier. Not as nice, but... the family is happy. That AC makes it freezing. That's on low. High setting should say arctic! It rocks! Must look into different blankets for wife.

Campsite notes: we were in space 24. 22 was vacant. Some friends had called that wanted to come with us and were told the park was booked. Why didn't they lease out 22? Its because the sun resides there at night. The street light they mounted there would melt most campers within 20 feet its so bright! I was worried about having lights in our campsite. We never needed them. I seriously considered putting a .45 through it... next time I will scout the campsite at night before reserving. Nice neighbors. White sheppard puppy kept my daughter entertained, cute. Screaming kids on bikes at 10pm not appreciated.

Saturday we spent most of the day hiking around the park. Nice trails if you've never been there. What I hadn't seen before was the fishing pond. Nice, but no one was catching anything. Probably had something to do with the 5' gator swimming around. Sat and watched two big swamp rabbits from a picnic table near the volleyball court (next group trip - bring the volley ball!). Fairly tame, let me walk within 20'. Got some nice pics (I'll post pics later). Did hot dogs for lunch on the gas grill, just wanted something quick. Great burgers on charcoal for dinner. Smores later on the camp fire. Wood is scarce there in the park. Next time I'll bring some from home. A convenience store (that stays open after 3 on a Saturday) or small restaurant within 10 minutes of the park would do well, we ended up driving back to Ponchatoula to hit the winn dixie. We forgot a few things... that cost us an hour plus. Again, experience. (Where's Snookie? pass that on to the chamber of commerce for lizard creek for me!)
    Today we ate a quick breakfast then packed up the trailer. Spent some time exploring the park and then headed home. It only took me about 10 minutes this time to get into the carport (only a few inches on either side) so I'm getting better.

Trailer- figured out the hot water system. There's still a switch I haven't identified. Probably the garage door opener on someone's home! Cranking up and down and setup is a good bit of trouble. I guess it'll get easier with experience. We won't be doing many one night trips if I can help it. I didn't fool with the awning this trip, just didn't need it.

Overall, a great first trip!

Last edited:

jussaddwata

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Prairieville
    Congrats on the new camper..we do enjoy ours its not new but new to us, we decided to lease a spot and just leave
    it at the site...it is a little easier just grabbing some clothes and heading out. You will get the hang of everything after a few trips.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    We camped there last fall. Nice place. Personally, I prefer camping in the colder months. We've been in the tent at around 30 degrees F. I'd rather that than 98 degrees F!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That was my latest theory. I'll have to fill the fresh water tank and find out. I'm not quite ready to take it dry camping yet. Soon though!

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    CAMPING

Have you checked out Bogue Chitto State Park yet? We camped there in January and loved it. We stayed in the upland campground because the lower campground floods often. Way more hiking trails than Tickfaw, and a beach area right on the river.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Not yet. Its on the list of things to do. We're going to Fountainbleau for our next weekend trip and we're considering a longer trip to Desoto State Park in a few months.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    truckandcamper.jpg

spider.jpg

rabbit.jpg

gator.jpg

Last edited: