TiteGroup for 45 ACP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Who is using titegroup for their powdercoated 45 acp loads? Care to share your pet loads?

I started @ 4.3gr with a 223gr ball and it cycled my 5" 1911 just fine and showed no pressure sings.

Accuracy was acceptable, hitting 6" plates at 30 yards.

I love how clean titegroup is, and I got a few 8lb jugs really cheap a while back, so yeah, I am going to stick with it.

45 acp titegroup from hodgdon site.JPG

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Just so happens I'm working up 45 auto loads with the various powders on my shelf. Where I'm at with Titegroup at the moment. Loading to a specific speed for USPSA.

Brass- Winchester
    Bullet- Missouri Bullet Softball Grooveless 230gr

Here is where it gets weird. Federal LP primers needs another 0.1gr to hit the same speed as Winchester LP primers. I've found a couple other powders that exhibit the same behavior. Gun is a Springfield Armory 5 inch 1911.

Primer- Federal Large Pistol
    Powder- 4.5gr Titegroup
    Chrono- 737fps
    Power Factor- 169

Primer- Winchester Large Pistol
    Powder- 4.4gr Titegroup
    Chrono- 742fps
    Power Factor- 170

With either primer ES and SD were essentially the same. Titegroup is a well known powder for 45 auto. Just know it does burn hot due to its high nitroglycerine content. Since you have strategically warehoused a sufficient quantity of Titegroup, knock yourself out.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Thanks Ellis 1958 - That is comforting reassurance. I am loading my own powder coated no lube groove bullets. The weight varies a little based on what alloy I am using at the time and if I am dropping hollow points or solid.
    20230206_192729.jpg

kenacp

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    River Ridge La
    A word of caution. Tightgroup, along with Bullseye and Power Pistol have a high nitroglycerine content. People are finding out that some PC bullets and these three powders start to react after about 30 days. The powder granules stick to the base of the bullets and soften the coating enough that you can scrape it off with your fingernail. Will this affect long term storage? I don't know, but my tests with PC and Bullseye show some issues....
    Some discussion on CastbooletsForum and UTube.( I am using old film canisters with some powder and a few bullets, and check every so often).

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    What is the definition of "long term" ? These days, I try not to load much more than six months worth. Thinking it is smarter long term to have components rather than loaded ammo. I am a member over at castbooolits, and will check in over there.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    A word of caution. Tightgroup, along with Bullseye and Power Pistol have a high nitroglycerine content. People are finding out that some PC bullets and these three powders start to react after about 30 days. The powder granules stick to the base of the bullets and soften the coating enough that you can scrape it off with your fingernail. Will this affect long term storage? I don't know, but my tests with PC and Bullseye show some issues....
    Some discussion on CastbooletsForum and UTube.( I am using old film canisters with some powder and a few bullets, and check every so often).
    Could you post a link or two on the discussions? I've never heard of this before.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Ellis,
    I did some searching in other forums for this topic. Seems there is some real hate for titegroup out there, deserved or not. Yesterday, I filled a PLASTIC medicine bottle full of the Powder Coat eating powder and an assortment of my diy powder coated bullets. I even added a two copper clads as controls.

I put a note in the bottle with the date, and plan to check in on it from time to time to see how things look.

kenacp

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    River Ridge La
    I'm about two +weeks into my test.(Don't use Tightgroup, but it was one of three powders listed.)
    My control powder is W231(that I load for .45), all looks normal in my bottle. My bottle with Bullseye is starting to stick to the PC. I can brush most of it off with an old toothbrush with some effort. No indication of any PC softening yet.
    My biggest concern is with such small charges of powder(3.4gr and a 148gr waddcutter .38spec.), will the powder degrade enough over the long term, enough to affect the consistency of my loads?

kenacp

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    River Ridge La
    Mitch, what powder coating are you using? I am using "Smokes"(vendor on CB forum) clear and black. Cooked for 20min. at 400*. I really like PC so far.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Ken-

Eastwood
    Powder by the Pound
    Harbor Freight

I tumble until coated, dump them on a baking sheet covered pan, then bake at about 375* for 16 minutes. That is ABOUT 375* as my toaster oven is not that accurate even though I run it on a PID. I always smash samples from each batch with a hammer and anvil to check for bonding. Each powder is different, and there was a a bunch of trial and error to find the right settings for my oven.

Keep us posted, and Good Luck !

Top Bottom