Tony Hayward goes before Congress

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Mr. Tony Hayward
    Chief Executive Officer
    BPPLC
    1 St. James's Square
    London SWI Y 4PD
    United Kingdom
    Dear Mr. Hayward:
    COMMITIEE ON ENERGY AND COMMERCE
    2125 RAYBURN HOUSE OFFICE BUILDING
    WASHINGTON, DC 20515-6115
    MAJORITY (202) 225-2927
    FACSIMILE (202) 225-2525
    MINORITY (202) 225-3641
    energycommerce.house.gov
    June 8, 2010
    JOE BARTON, TEXAS
    RANKING MEMBER
    ROY BLUNT, MISSOURI
    DEPUTY RANKING MEMBER
    RALPH M. HALL, TEXAS
    FRED UPTON, MICHIGAN
    CLIFF STEARNS, FLORIDA
    ED WHITFIELD, KENTUCKY
    JOHN SHIMKUS, ILLINOIS
    JOHN B. SHADEGG, ARIZONA
    STEVE BUYER, INDIANA
    GEORGE RADANOVICH, CALIFORNIA
    JOSEPH R. PITTS, PENNSYLVANIA
    MARY BONO MACK, CALIFORNIA
    LEE TERRY, NEBRASKA
    MIKE ROGERS, MICHIGAN
    SUE WILKINS MYRICK, NORTH CAROLINA
    JOHN SULLIVAN, OKLAHOMA
    TIM MURPHY, PENNSYLVANIA
    MICHAEL C. BURGESS, TEXAS
    MARSHA BLACKBURN, TENNESSEE
    PHIL GINGREY, GEORGIA
    STEVE SCALISE, LOUISIANA
    PARKER GRIFFITH, ALABAMA
    ROBERT E. LATTA, OHIO
    The Committee on Energy and Commerce and its Subcommittee on Oversight and
    Investigations are investigating the causes of the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig
    and the oil spill now spreading across the Gulf of Mexico. The Subcommittee will hold a
    hearing on these issues on Thursday, June 17,2010, at 10:00 a.m. in Room 2123 ofthe Rayburn
    House Office Building. We request your testimony at this hearing.
    The Subcommittee anticipates that its members may have questions requiring technical
    knowledge of the Deepwater Horizon rig operations, well design, and safety measures and,
    accordingly, we ask that you be accompanied by a BP employee or official with sufficient
    knowledge to answer these questions under oath.
    We appreciate BP's ongoing assistance with the Committee's investigation. An
    enclosure provides information for witnesses appearing before the Committee. If you have any
    questions regarding this invitation, please contact Molly Gaston or Meredith Fuchs with the
    Committee staff at (202) 226-2424.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I love this comment here by these guys:

BP stmt ed drilling the Macondo well on October 7, 2009, using the Marianas ri g. This
    rig was damaged in Hurricane Ida on November 9, 2009. As a result, BP and the rig operator,
    Transocean, replaced the Marianas ri g with the Deepwater Horizon. Drilling with the Deepwater
    Hori zon started on February 6, 20 I O.
    The Deepwater Hori zon rig was expensive. Transocean charged BP approximately
    $500,000 per day to lease the ri g, plus contractors' fees.] BP targeted drilling the well to take 51
    days and cost approximately $96 million?
    The Deepwater Horizon was supposed to be drilling at a new location as early as March
    8,20 103 In fact, the Macondo well took considerably longer than plarmed to complete. By
    April 20, 20 10, the day of the blowout, the rig was 43 days late for its next drilling location,
    which may have cost BP as much as $21 million in leasing fees alone. It also may have set the
    context for the series of deci sions that BP made in the days and hours before the blowout.

Hmmm. So we were 43 days behind? If you take out the 31 days that the Marianas spudded the well, that leaves us 13 days behind. Which, is purely acceptable when drilling exploration wells.

Side note:
    When one sets up wells, they look at thinks like days per 10k to drill and depth vs. days to get drilling times and curves. If one stops and then brings another rig in (like in this case) those numbers do not carry over.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Nick from my understanding the transcript didn't say the well was 43 days behind. It said the Deepwater Horizon was 43 days behind schedule, ie. it should have finished drilling 43 days before the day it (euphemistically) stopped drilling. At $500,000 per day that would put it (somebody check my math here :)) about $21,500,000 over budget for rig rental alone.

My guess is that that put a bit of pressure on BPs management to speed the rig operations to stop the hemorrhaging. I think they had no idea of what hemorrhaging was until this thing blew up.

My understanding is that BP now plans to keep Hayward around as long as possible, so all the stink attaches to him, then fire him, and bring in someone who will reap all the rewards of solving the problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom