tree rat recipe's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Can someone post their favorite tree rat recipe's. I want to bring my son bust a few but mom says she aint cooking them unless I find a recipe from someone that know how.

Thanks Fellows
    Wade

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    The easiest way, my favorite too, is to simply pot fry them.

Large black skillet, if you have one.
    2 or 3 large onions,
    Season any way you like them.
    Cut half your onions into very small pieces, the other half cut large,
    Cap full of your favorite cooking oil,
    Place oil and onions into black skillet, cook down until soft, add RATS, cook on high heat until meat turns golden brown, lower heat, cover and let simmer for at least 2 hours. Adding water as neccessary (to make gravy). You can also add some cup of mushroom soup about 45 minutes before it is done.
    Cook some rice.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can tell you that my favorite is a squirrel gravy made with all the basic ingredients including Rotel tomatoes. I usually eat it, but don't make it, so sorry about being so vague.... If you can make a basic roux, you should be good to go. I can tell you that it's cooked in a dutch oven on top the stove until the ingredients (onions, bellpepper, celery, rotel) cook down some- then place the covered dutch oven into the oven on about 250 deg for 2-1/2 hours or so. When it's done, it is the most tender squirrel you will have- even the big fox squirrels will fall off the bone. Damn- I think I just decided what my brother is gonna cook at the camp this weekend!

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    ugh... Now I'm craving some! We do a wild game night at my Church's mens club once a year and I need me some forest grub quick! Anyone have any venison they want to get rid of?

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    The easiest way, my favorite too, is to simply pot fry them.

Large black skillet, if you have one.
    2 or 3 large onions,
    Season any way you like them.
    Cut half your onions into very small pieces, the other half cut large,
    Cap full of your favorite cooking oil,
    Place oil and onions into black skillet, cook down until soft, add RATS, cook on high heat until meat turns golden brown, lower heat, cover and let simmer for at least 2 hours. Adding water as neccessary (to make gravy). You can also add some cup of mushroom soup about 45 minutes before it is done.
    Cook some rice.

I do the same thing. EXCEPT I brown the tree rats take them out. THEN add the onions and brown then until they are soft. Once the onions are soft(I dont like chewing on onions so I brown them intil they are almost gone) then I add the tree rats back and simmer for 2 hours. I find this way makes a darker and prettier gravy.

That I a good Recipe for almost any thing cooked in rice and gravy.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    One little tip I forgot to mention. If after cooking for two hours and the meat is still not tender. Put some ice cubes in it. At least a couple handfulls, then let it come back to a boil. This will tenderize the meat.

rm76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2007
    Texas
    I do the same thing. EXCEPT I brown the tree rats take them out. THEN add the onions and brown then until they are soft. Once the onions are soft(I dont like chewing on onions so I brown them intil they are almost gone) then I add the tree rats back and simmer for 2 hours. I find this way makes a darker and prettier gravy.

That I a good Recipe for almost any thing cooked in rice and gravy.

Ditto: brown the seasoned tree rats first, take them out, add onions (cellery, etc. if you like) and cook down, deglaze with some water or stock to make gravy, add rats back, cover and let cook down. Can add some potatoes to help thicken gravy if you like, and I like to add some rouge sometimes to help thicken and flavor. Serve with rice of course.

Hint: after browning the rat, do not put rib cage back in. Snack of these while all else cooks. If you put them back in, they will fall apart and you'll be digging small bones out of every bite.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    Ditto: brown the seasoned tree rats first, take them out, add onions (cellery, etc. if you like) and cook down, deglaze with some water or stock to make gravy, add rats back, cover and let cook down. Can add some potatoes to help thicken gravy if you like, and I like to add some rouge sometimes to help thicken and flavor. Serve with rice of course.

Hint: after browning the rat, do not put rib cage back in. Snack of these while all else cooks. If you put them back in, they will fall apart and you'll be digging small bones out of every bite.

If you take the top off for the last 30-45 minutes of simmering some of the water will evaporate and make a thicker gravy. Just keep an eye on it because it will burn if too much water gets evaportated, so you might have to add a little more water to stop it from burning. Sorry is it seems like I keep correcting you cooking methods, but im not. I'm just giving other methods.

Last edited:

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    One little tip I forgot to mention. If after cooking for two hours and the meat is still not tender. Put some ice cubes in it. At least a couple handfulls, then let it come back to a boil. This will tenderize the meat.

Something else to tenderize any meat is to put a very small amount of vinegar once you add the water to make the gravey. :chuckles:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Poke the eyes out if you cook the heads. There's nothing worse than having to work around a pair of boiled beady eyeballs. They say it's dangerous to eat now but damned that stuff is manna from heaven.

:)

Top Bottom