Trust Taurus?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I can’t find anything close on the used market for $200.

I had an epiphany yesterday after reading through this thread. I suddenly have the warranted belief that many gun people, shooters, whatever you want to call them, have a very narrow opinion of gun ownership, primarily their reason for gun purchases, usage, etc. their opinion of what a gun is for. Their view of a firearm, be it a hunting, sporting or defensive firearm. I just don’t look at every gun I purchase and think thoughts like:
    Trust my life, self defense, combat, SHTF, etc...
    I do consider such when it comes to a very few of my firearms, but I just can’t wrap my head around how there’s so much focus on the idea that firearms are somehow purposed only for hunting game or shooting people, or practicing to hunt game or practicing to shoot people. I swear I’ve been an avid gun collector for nearly 40 years, shooting for 50, and I just don’t get it, and many may disagree, but yet I see all too often the primary things people consider, by their own admission mind you, when buying a gun. I almost and probably should have started a thread to air this out, but for Pete’s sake ain’t there so many other reasons to own a gun?
    ....somebody help me down, the air is thin up here.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    You make a good point on narrow focus.

We all buy for different reasons and justify those reasons in different ways. Buying a new gun, just because, is perfectly fine, I have done it many times, and those purchases are often my favourite!!!

Given the thread title I inferred, possibly incorrectly, that cujo meant to get opinions, from others, if they trusted a Taurus product. And by trusted, I took that to mean trusted the gun to function well enough to provide adequate self defense.

My talking points reflected that concept. To be blunt I would much prefer a better know quality gun to protect myself with.

However there is a lot of gun usage outside of that and it would make me, a 50cal desert eagle owner, quite a hypocrite if I denied another fellow shooter the Joy of just having a gun to have it, and nothing else.

I certainly appreciate the viewpoints expressed in this thread, as they help me better understand my shooting peers!!

The debates can get spirited at times, but we are all in the same pro 2a boat!!!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    And I do agree that there is not much on the used market for 200 bucks. However there are plenty of new guns in that price range from a variety of mfgs. Especially since the buying slump, good deals to be had on the smaller conceal carry range of 380s and 9mms. Seems like ruger and Smith and Springfield are letting stuff go for cheaper prices than I have seen before. Hi points seem to be holding steady....:mamoru:

Porky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2016
    Hammond, LA
    I have the PT709 Slim. It was purchased new (199.00) as a truck gun and does that well. The rear sight fell off and the screw was lost. I have contacted Taurus twice now to get a replacement screw and still do not have it. Outside of the customer support issue its great for the $$.

jpomlo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    Just sold a PT709 slim. I only had 300 rnds thru it, no problems at all. It was a great shooter. Even my 12 yr old son shot it surprisingly well. Sold it because I'm in the process of moving to non-thumb safety CCW's.

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    I have both a g2c 9mm and a PT 24 7 g2 9mm and I love both of them. I've never had a jam or ftf out of either one and they both are as accurate as I am. I use the g2c 9mm when I conceal carry. I'm keeping mine for sure! The only problem I find is that with my PT 24 7 g2 9mm it's almost impossible to find a nice holster for it. Taurus used to have trouble with their semi-autos, but that was a few years back and I find that the problem was dealt with.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One more thought on the question of Taurus reliability.

I've owned 6 or 7 Taurus guns that included a PT1911, a 94 revolver in .22, a TCP, and a PT111 G2.

The PT1911 and the 94 revolver we superb. The reason for that is simple: they were executing someone else's time-proven designs. We can talk all day long about whether the 1911 is a good gun, but it's been around forever and manufactures have long worked out the kinks. Ditto for the 94, which is essentially a J frame S&W. My experience with Taurus here suggested that they can machine metal as well as any other company can.

The TCP and the PT111 are Taurus' own designs, and while they aren't bad guns, they also don't benefit from the sort of real-life trials that companies like Glock and Smith & Wesson can do. My mag-drop issue with the PT111 is a good example of this: when was the last time you heard about a magazine dropping out of an M&P or a Glock? They don't because these companies have the financial resources to test their designs in just about every imaginable scenario. That's part of what you're paying for with one of these guns.

So yes, Taurus is generally cheaper ... but there are other cost/benefit considerations to think about outside of how the guns compare on paper.

mike

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'll tell my 'Taurus Story' again:

I had a PT-22. Stainless with rosewood grips. Loved that little gun. It'd feed anything, including shorts if you only loaded a couple in the magazine. It was accurate too. I shot the dickens out of it. Great little pistol, . . . , until.

One day I was cleaning it, and the nylon buffer in the slide disintegrated.
    I called Taurus Repair. The informed me that the part was not covered under warranty.
    How much, I asked.
    $1.00 they said. Plus $9.95 shipping and handling.
    I said 'great'. Send me ten of them. (Makes them $2/ea instead of $11/ea)
    They took my credit card, and before I hung up, my card was billed.

Two weeks go by. I call and ask where my part is. They inform me that it is out of stock, and on backorder.

Two months go by. Still on back order.

Four months go by. Yes sir, Your parts arrived. We're too busy doing an inventory. We'll ship them out next month.

I gave the pistol away. I'll NEVER own another Taurus product.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Lol, I just bought another one. 179.99 shipped.
    I own 9 Taurus pistols now and have never had the first problem and shoot them quite a bit. I sure hope my luck holds, but as little as they cost I think I’ll be ok.
    974d1aaf8b224ea820320bc595e0dc8d.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom