Trying to find out if I can Legally own a gun.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    Miya if I were you I would probably listen to your dad because he knows more about you than anyone here. Now if you still want or need a weapon for protection or to have fun with then maybe you could encourage your dad to take you to a local gun range and shoot with him and let him teach you weapon safety and maybe you can change his mind about you actually owning one. Welcome to our little crazy home
    thats the hing i know all that, i know how to clean a gun, maintain it, shoot it and im actually really good at shooting, and were going to a gun show soon

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    thats the hing i know all that, i know how to clean a gun, maintain it, shoot it and im actually really good at shooting, and were going to a gun show soon
    There is also a lot more to owning a firearm besides knowing how it works and how to maintain it. The biggest thing is the responsibility that comes with owning a gun.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I’ll go on record of being harsh and saying absolutely not. I’ve read your back story and read all your replies. I truly believe you lack the mental capacity to own a firearm safely and responsibly. I personally, via my own interpretation, feel that you are disqualified from legally owning a firearm per question 21.g. on ATF form 4473.

Stay with airsoft (they make some quality ones) and the pellet rifles/pistols. Leave firearms and shooting them for when appropriately supervised by a legal firearm owner.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I didn’t read through all 4 pages. But you stating that you were admitted to mental facilities (whether by choice, mandate or not), may disqualify you. Before you state the wrong information on the form. You may need clarification on that part.

Also we are a forum full of strangers, none of us know you personally probably, but your dad does. And it says a lot if he deems that you’re not mature enough to own a gun at the age of 38. If I were in your shoes I would stick to air rifles. Probably cheaper to shoot too considering your fixed income.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Follow up question, do you take any medication that can alter your mental status. This includes seizure medications, anti psychotics, anti depressants, benzodiazepines, pain killers or nerve medications?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I read a thread that was brought to my attention where you talked about ending your life. That means you shouldn't be left alone with a firearm unsupervised. Please be honest with yourself. There are many people out there who don't own guns because they feel suicidal sometimes.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I read a thread that was brought to my attention where you talked about ending your life. That means you shouldn't be left alone with a firearm unsupervised. Please be honest with yourself. There are many people out there who don't own guns because they feel suicidal sometimes.

@MiyaMarukutsune
    Once it’s posted in the web it’s hard to get it off bro, just like all the post you made on this site with some of the things you have admitted to already…

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    @MiyaMarukutsune I read your posts off of this site too. You seem like a nice dude but you have to understand that everyone here is here because we want to "do the right thing/do things right", much like you expressed, and part of that is calling things out that we see when we see something that puts our community and culture at risk.

If you came here and we all said "go for it!" and you did something, or were killed, because you could not resist your urge or you were depressed or emotionally hurt, it would come back to haunt us all...it would harm our community, it would put "guns" back in the spotlight as something evil instead of an inanimate object. We would be on the news, agencies would investigate us and the site, and people would try to ruin our lives, make us public and destroy our families, and then put us in prison.

I made this post a couple of days ago and you probably need to see it. https://www.bayoushooter.com/threads/male-loneliness-youre-not-alone.220857/#post-1870739

TV and Movies are creating a false reality, and that's very dangerous, especially for someone who has social challenges. What you also need to know is that the false reality that TV & movies create doesn't just affect you but the whole of society, a lot of people suffer from the delusion, not just you or socially challenged people. It makes people snobby, closed-minded, and isolated.

It sounds like you have a pretty good support system, it just rubs you the wrong way sometimes.

You have a friend who will regularly go shooting with you. You have a dad who will engage in hobbies with you.

That's more than most people have.

If I were you...

I'd tell my dad that I know it hasn't been easy, thank him for his patience and understanding where he has it, and I'd tell him that I appreciate him for helping me have a relatively stable home even if it isn't perfect or what I imagine as perfection.

My life path has been wild, my dad struggled to understand me for almost all of my life until the last 5 or so years. He has always been a good dad, just not always what I was told dads were supposed to be like. He still doesn't always understand me, but it sure is fun to see, as time goes by, how he "gets me" in moments and flashes and his "Wow, my son is pretty cool!" moments.

Give him a hug, tell him thanks for helping you in life, and enjoy that he is willing to and probably even wants to spend time with you shooting and bonding over something you both enjoy.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    However, his love for the stainless MK2 is based on the strong resemblance to Padme's Naboo blaster from Star Wars Episodes 1-3. This romanticism with that "blaster" is no different than the romanticism surrounding the good ole GI 1911 .45ACP.

The 1911 was Americas sidearm for the best part of a century and was fielded in many wars, is the reason the 45 auto cartridge exists and is a great design by a well revered gun designer and gun company.

The mk 2 is difficult to reassemble and well.... it shoots 22lr.

these 2 are not the same.

I get the love for movie prop guns, I would love to have a working robocop gun or blades modded mac12 but comparing the ruger mk2 to the 1911 is a bit of a stretch.

And I looked up the naboo blaster, the elg3a. Does not have much more than a passing resemblance to a mk2 and was certainly not based on one. Unlike the sterling stormtrooper guns, whatever they were called.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom