Vehicle stolen in Nola? Find it yourself!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Getting like that all over. Priority is given to crimes in progress etc, property crimes get pushed to the bottom of the pile. We started taking a lot of reports over the phone which is really no different than the report if an officer came out. Some people insist on an officer coming out and it ties someone up that could be going to a call such as her vehicle recovery. I’ve seen people wait hours for someone to come out to a parking lot crash instead of just giving the info over the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Getting like that all over. Priority is given to crimes in progress etc, property crimes get pushed to the bottom of the pile. We started taking a lot of reports over the phone which is really no different than the report if an officer came out. Some people insist on an officer coming out and it ties someone up that could be going to a call such as her vehicle recovery. I’ve seen people wait hours for someone to come out to a parking lot crash instead of just giving the info over the phone.

Or they could just exchange information. But most insurance companies want a police report so they can use it to assign blame and deny responsibility for having to pay anything.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Or they could just exchange information. But most insurance companies want a police report so they can use it to assign blame and deny responsibility for having to pay anything.

Exactly.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last time I had to call 911 the dispatcher asked if anyone had made any threats with firearms. My response was "not yet." She was annoyed and stated that that was a serious question. "Ma'am, that's why I gave you a serious answer. Do I get a response from law enforcement, or are we going to play 20 questions?"

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana

JPSO Has been doing phone reports for property crime with no evidence (DLR) for 20 years though.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I wonder if she voted for Teedy in the the last election, but is then gonna turn around and gripe about how she can't get any response?

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    PD Report is required as it's part of the investigative process to confirm the facts of the loss - not to handwave away liability. It's just one part of the process, the same as performing a scene inspection or requesting LSP photo lab images. Your home insurance requires it for the same reason when involving Theft or VMM losses.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    PD Report is required as it's part of the investigative process to confirm the facts of the loss - not to handwave away liability. It's just one part of the process, the same as performing a scene inspection or requesting LSP photo lab images. Your home insurance requires it for the same reason when involving Theft or VMM losses.

Any requirement for a police report is part of the civil agreement between the insurance company and the driver. The law does not require a police report for an accident unless special circumstances are met. According to the law, you must either report the accident to the police or provide your information. Failure to do either one of those is a hit and run. Providing your information but not waiting for the police is risky but legal. There's always the chance the other driver will tell the police you didn't give them your information.
    From LA R.S. 14:100:
    Hit-and-run driving is the intentional failure of the driver of a vehicle involved in or causing any accident, to stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident, to give his identity, and to render reasonable aid. "To give his identity", means that the driver of any vehicle involved in any accident shall give his name, address, and the license number of his vehicle, or shall report the accident to the police.

If there's an accident on private property, absent some special circumstances, a police report is not an option.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    Any requirement for a police report is part of the civil agreement between the insurance company and the driver. The law does not require a police report for an accident unless special circumstances are met. According to the law, you must either report the accident to the police or provide your information. Failure to do either one of those is a hit and run. Providing your information but not waiting for the police is risky but legal. There's always the chance the other driver will tell the police you didn't give them your information.
    From LA R.S. 14:100:
    Hit-and-run driving is the intentional failure of the driver of a vehicle involved in or causing any accident, to stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident, to give his identity, and to render reasonable aid. "To give his identity", means that the driver of any vehicle involved in any accident shall give his name, address, and the license number of his vehicle, or shall report the accident to the police.

If there's an accident on private property, absent some special circumstances, a police report is not an option.
    I think you misconstrued my point - I was referring to Carriers requiring it, not statutory law. It was in reference to your "most insurance companies want a police report so they can use it to assign blame and deny responsibility for having to pay anything," and was clarifying why Carriers require a report (when available).

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think you misconstrued my point - I was referring to Carriers requiring it, not statutory law. It was in reference to your "most insurance companies want a police report so they can use it to assign blame and deny responsibility for having to pay anything," and was clarifying why Carriers require a report (when available).
    I don't believe I misconstrued your point. The first sentence of my reply in post #14 mentioned the requirement was only from the carriers. And if's it's only about knowing if there was a loos or damage, an estimate from a body/repair shop will accomplish that. Knowing the facts of the loss or damage will tell the insurance company if the loss or damage is covered by the policy. If the facts show the damage was caused by something not covered or if the damage was caused by someone else, the facts will allow the insurance company to either not cover the repairs by either denying the claim or by filing a claim with the other party's insurance. In other words, the "insurance companies want a police report so they can use it to assign blame and deny responsibility for having to pay anything." That is unless the insurance companies are just busybodies and are just curious about the juicy details.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Exactly.

I have installed front view dash cams in my trucks that record real time video and intermittent snapshots and STILL get sued by the sh*tbags that run into or cause the accidents to my trucks; police report or not!

I hate parasites!

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I have installed front view dash cams in my trucks that record real time video and intermittent snapshots and STILL get sued by the sh*tbags that run into or cause the accidents to my trucks; police report or not!

I hate parasites!
    Just part of the process if the adverse party is combative, unfortunately. I've had dashcam footage showing a woman pulling in front of our insured's rig and slamming the brakes, an accident reconstruction expert confirm the hard braking event, two witness statements of the event, a third witness who saw her attempt the same thing to another truck earlier on the interstate, and the PD Report's officer narrative stating she told him she did it to "teach him a lesson" (total stranger btw). The claim still took about 4-5 months to deny and close out. Legal system is what makes this process so laborious.

5.45 Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Evansville, IN.
    Most of the time around here the only way a stolen car gets discovered is if some one does something stupid in from of an officer. Then they don't find out unless the driver runs or if the call in tells them the car is stolen. (the LE don't really look for them) If they find one parked somewhere it's usually striped of any fancy electronics or wheels & tires are gone. There have been a few driven into the local lakes or rivers. The thieves have found if they dump the car in the water during the winter, they have until spring before the police will try to retrieve it.

Top Bottom