Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I just wanted to say, in the past year or so, I've begun seeing more and more people with dark windows and windshields. I would say probably close to 10% of vehicles I see have windshield tint and many more with dark windows, depending on the area. With all these people riding around with illegal tint, I must have missed the reporting on the uptick in accidents as a result. Seems like the general public is starting to realize the benefits of dark tint in south Louisiana. So much so, that they are willing to risk being fined.

I wonder if there will be a "crackdown" or if people will finally put their feet down on such a ridiculous law.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Maybe some of the boys of the blue line gang do not want to do their job by stopping and ticketing these offenders because they do not have the proper training or equipment to give probable cause to write the citations....... And possibly the inability of the prosecuters and judges to carry foward with prosecution........ So for these possible reasons then why should they try and issue tickets for the possibly over tinted windows if nothing is going to happen to the offenders. ............... drill sgt.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Maybe some of the boys of the blue line gang do not want to do their job by stopping and ticketing these offenders because they do not have the proper training or equipment to give probable cause to write the citations....... And possibly the inability of the prosecuters and judges to carry foward with prosecution........ So for these possible reasons then why should they try and issue tickets for the possibly over tinted windows if nothing is going to happen to the offenders. ............... drill sgt.
    Anyone that is cited for tint violations are fined. The fines are not light fines either, around $300+ if I'm not mistaken. Police carry a meter to determine if the shade of tint is legal or not. If the fines are not paid, warrants would be issued and / or other punishments dealt, just like any other non paid citation.
    However, the cat seems to have escaped out of the bag. "Cracking down" on tint violations may, we can hope, draw negative attention to law enforcement, given the fact that it is becoming more widely accepted as beneficial and harmless to the average person. The question is, will this law be allowed to continue to be used against the population when it only serves the state and not the people.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anyone that is cited for tint violations are fined. The fines are not light fines either, around $300+ if I'm not mistaken. Police carry a meter to determine if the shade of tint is legal or not. If the fines are not paid, warrants would be issued and / or other punishments dealt, just like any other non paid citation.
    However, the cat seems to have escaped out of the bag. "Cracking down" on tint violations may, we can hope, draw negative attention to law enforcement, given the fact that it is becoming more widely accepted as beneficial and harmless to the average person. The question is, will this law be allowed to continue to be used against the population when it only serves the state and not the people.

And where do the police get the tint meters they all carry?

As far as "more widely accepted as beneficial and harmless to the average person," it's always been widely known that tint can be beneficial. I don't believe that was ever denied. What was in question is the level of tint that's allowed. To say that having a max legal level only serves the state and not the people isn't accurate. Let's look at the extreme, driving at night with 0% tint. If you believe the tint law only benefits the state and not the people, it follows that you would believe it's acceptable and safe to drive at night with 0% tint. If it's unsafe, then the law must benefit the people, even if it benefits the state. We can discuss what level is safe and acceptable but I have difficulty believing a rational person would label the 0% tint at night as safe.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    And where do the police get the tint meters they all carry?

As far as "more widely accepted as beneficial and harmless to the average person," it's always been widely known that tint can be beneficial. I don't believe that was ever denied. What was in question is the level of tint that's allowed. To say that having a max legal level only serves the state and not the people isn't accurate. Let's look at the extreme, driving at night with 0% tint. If you believe the tint law only benefits the state and not the people, it follows that you would believe it's acceptable and safe to drive at night with 0% tint. If it's unsafe, then the law must benefit the people, even if it benefits the state. We can discuss what level is safe and acceptable but I have difficulty believing a rational person would label the 0% tint at night as safe.
    No doubt some people are extremely stupid and would put double layers of 5% all around their vehicle and we all know that is less than ideal. However, current legal tint is generally 40%. 40% tint is hardly even noticeable. So, to try and claim that setting the legal shade at 40% is for public safety is a bit, well, dishonest. 5% windows are a bit dark but can very well be used safely and are used safely by many people. 20% is ideal, very beneficial and still operable at night for anyone without vision problems. The difference from 20% to 40% is very substantial.
    20% on the windshield is pushing it, depending on the shade rest of the windows. 35% on the windshield is very ideal.

Law says no tint on windshield, period - this is far from protecting the public

Law says 40% on front windows - this is far from protecting the public

I don't know where the meters come from, I only know that they exist. Maybe not all police carry them, I don't know. What I do know is that, at least some do, and they are used to determine if the shade is too dark and whether to fine someone for it being darker than a nearly useless shade of 40%.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Personally, I think we should trade the tint laws for laws against squatted trucks. I've seen trucks and SUVs with 10" or bigger lifts on the front and nothing, or even lowered in the back. Maybe they have some weird thing with sky gazing while driving, but I'd wager these people are likely legally retarded and probably shouldn't operate a vehicle at all. Not to mention their headlights blinding everyone the pass and low flying aircraft. This is actually dangerous, unlike window tint. I'll take not seeing other drivers over being forced to witness such cringe douchebaggery 100%

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No doubt some people are extremely stupid and would put double layers of 5% all around their vehicle and we all know that is less than ideal. However, current legal tint is generally 40%. 40% tint is hardly even noticeable. So, to try and claim that setting the legal shade at 40% is for public safety is a bit, well, dishonest. 5% windows are a bit dark but can very well be used safely and are used safely by many people. 20% is ideal, very beneficial and still operable at night for anyone without vision problems. The difference from 20% to 40% is very substantial.
    20% on the windshield is pushing it, depending on the shade rest of the windows. 35% on the windshield is very ideal.

Law says no tint on windshield, period - this is far from protecting the public

Law says 40% on front windows - this is far from protecting the public

I don't know where the meters come from, I only know that they exist. Maybe not all police carry them, I don't know. What I do know is that, at least some do, and they are used to determine if the shade is too dark and whether to fine someone for it being darker than a nearly useless shade of 40%.

Setting a limit is either to protect the public or it's only to benefit the state. You can be not happy with what the limit is and you may feel the limit should be lower but that a subjective thing. The limit you feel is just right will surely be seen as too low by some and too high by others. You feel 35 is ideal but the next person will call you a shill for the state because they feel a limit as high as 35 is far from protecting the public.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Personally, I think we should trade the tint laws for laws against squatted trucks. I've seen trucks and SUVs with 10" or bigger lifts on the front and nothing, or even lowered in the back. Maybe they have some weird thing with sky gazing while driving, but I'd wager these people are likely legally retarded and probably shouldn't operate a vehicle at all. Not to mention their headlights blinding everyone the pass and low flying aircraft. This is actually dangerous, unlike window tint. I'll take not seeing other drivers over being forced to witness such cringe douchebaggery 100%
    RS 32:303 Headlamps on motor vehicles; motorcycles and motordriven cycles
    A. Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motordriven cycle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this Chapter.
    B. Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this Chapter.
    C. Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motordriven cycle, shall be located at a height, measured from the center of the headlamp, of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in R.S. 32:302.
    D.(1) Every headlamp described in this Section shall emit a white light only, including light emitted by white high intensity discharge forward lighting.
    (2) No motor vehicle shall be equipped with headlamps that are off-road colored lights. The provisions of this Subparagraph shall not apply to white emitting lights.

RS 32:322
    Use of multiple beam road lighting equipment
    A. Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated on a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto during the times specified in R.S. 32:301, the driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam, directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at safe distance in advance of the vehicle subject to the following requirements and limitations.
    B. Whenever a driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, specified in R.S. 32:321, shall be dimmed to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading.
    C. Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle within 200 feet to the rear, except when engaged in the act of overtaking or passing, such driver shall use a distribution of light permissible under this Chapter other than the uppermost distribution of light specified in R.S. 32:321(1).
    D. Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within five hundred feet or follows another vehicle two hundred feet to the rear, such driver shall not use any fog lamps or other auxiliary driving or passing lamps, except during periods of inclement weather or fog.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Setting a limit is either to protect the public or it's only to benefit the state. You can be not happy with what the limit is and you may feel the limit should be lower but that a subjective thing. The limit you feel is just right will surely be seen as too low by some and too high by others. You feel 35 is ideal but the next person will call you a shill for the state because they feel a limit as high as 35 is far from protecting the public.
    I never said there should be a legal limit. I don't care if people paint every window on their car with black spray paint. If they do something negligent, and it causes harm, they will be held responsible, as they should. Most people are smart enough to not do unsafe things and those people should not live under rules that have been set to retard standards.
    Some people might use a firearm to shoot at road signs and accidentally kill someone while doing it, that doesn't mean other people with sense and ability should not be legally able to carry a firearm in their vehicle.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    I bought a 2023 Jeep Gladiator last Friday. Saturday morning I was getting the 5% tint installed. Before that, I drove my Harley Davidson F150 for 3 years with 5% tint and no inspection sticker. Never got a ticket or harassed about it. I got pulled for speeding in my Harley truck once, and the officer asked why I didn't have an inspection sticker. Told him truck won't pass emissions in the parish it's registered in (Ascension, with Longtube headers, no cats, full exhaust) he told me have a nice day.... Don't give LEO a hard time, and don't be a dumbass, and usually LEO leaves you alone about it. In my experience, if a cop pulls you specifically for window tint, he's either using it as a reason to pull you and find something else, you're being a retard, or that cop is simply bored/trying to make a quota...

Besides, majority of cops have their personal vehicles tinted pretty dark themselves, so who are they to write a ticket on someone else anyway...

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    In my experience, if a cop pulls you specifically for window tint, he's either using it as a reason to pull you and find something else, you're being a retard, or that cop is simply bored/trying to make a quota...

Besides, majority of cops have their personal vehicles tinted pretty dark themselves, so who are they to write a ticket on someone else anyway...

Normal people most certainly do get cited for it, not just those described above. Never should we rely on an individual's attitude, opinion, or suspicion to decide the fate of breaking a law or not. You have been lucky, a lot of people have, that luck could run out tomorrow. I'd bet that tune might change a bit if it did. The law is an overstep and it should not exist, never should have.

Yes, a lot of police do have tint on their personal vehicles, and I would be willing to bet any amount of money that a lot of them have written citations for it to otherwise innocent people. Yet, as long as they stay close to home, they likely risk nothing like the rest of the population.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    State inspection stations are supposed to have the tint meters, too dark, no inspection sticker or reject sticker
    I talked to the guy where I get my MVI about tint. He said some will take the tint off to get the sticker and then go have it put back on.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Looks like Title 32 is a thing of the pass as for as enforcement.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I never said there should be a legal limit. I don't care if people paint every window on their car with black spray paint. If they do something negligent, and it causes harm, they will be held responsible, as they should.

That's the crux of our disagreement. I don't believe it should be legal to drive a car that you cannot see out of. It appears you do. Everything else we disagree on is based on that difference of opinion.

Top Bottom