Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    "What I did not detail in the story."

These are my favorite ones. People tell these fanatical stories about abuse of authority and then when a deep dive is done, all of these supporting facts come out.

Its like every single police shooting case on its surface, as portrayed by the media, is this incredibly terrible story. Then the entire story comes out and people are like "oh, well now we understand why they shot"...

Here is a hint. Two guys in a rental, with multiple gun boxes, and i'd bet with the tone of your posts doing the ole "you have no reason to stop me, I refuse to answer any question, I want a supervisor and my attorney NOW" type of replies....Sure does lead to their reasonable suspicion to call a dog to the stop.

Any other facts you want to throw in that occurred to your story ?
    You like to assume a lot and that's fine, I get it. Tone is everything. From now on, when. You read my posts, this is the tone that you should imagine.
    5effecfc0b29a495813c2522e4fc323a.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    "What I did not detail in the story."

These are my favorite ones. People tell these fanatical stories about abuse of authority and then when a deep dive is done, all of these supporting facts come out.

Its like every single police shooting case on its surface, as portrayed by the media, is this incredibly terrible story. Then the entire story comes out and people are like "oh, well now we understand why they shot"...

Here is a hint. Two guys in a rental, with multiple gun boxes, and i'd bet with the tone of your posts doing the ole "you have no reason to stop me, I refuse to answer any question, I want a supervisor and my attorney NOW" type of replies....Sure does lead to their reasonable suspicion to call a dog to the stop.

Any other facts you want to throw in that occurred to your story ?
    But like I said previously, I was polite during the whole process. Arguing and acting an ass gets you nowhere fast.
    It is my legal right to travel with empty cases, gun cases or not. They couldn't actually tell what they cases were until they approached the vehicle. The cases didn't give them reason for the stop, it gave them the reason to want to search the vehicle. Wanting something and being legally allowed to do something are 2 totally separate things.

Honestly, if they had asked me about the cases, or wanted to look at the cases, I probably would have been ok with it. But he never mentioned the cases until it was all said and done. He went straight to "you mind if I search your vehicle?"

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is really apples and oranges. In one case, one is forced to hide their activities because it would otherwise be illegal, while the other is forced to keep their activities in plain view even if what they are doing is not breaking any laws.
    It's not apples and oranges. I asked about a strip club. I wasn't making a comparison. Again, answering a question that wasn't asked.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    It's not apples and oranges. I asked about a strip club. I wasn't making a comparison. Again, answering a question that wasn't asked.
    You might want to ask yourself why I answer in the manner I do instead of pointing out that I'm not answering in the manner you want me to.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You might want to ask yourself why I answer in the manner I do instead of pointing out that I'm not answering in the manner you want me to.
    "In the manner you want me to?" I'm pretty open as to the manner I would like you to answer the question. In general, I'd like the answer to the question to actually answer the question. That's it. It's not tough. Or it shouldn't be. But I don't think there's any confusion as to why you make up a question then provide the answer to that new question. It's pretty obvious.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I bet you were one of the covid cultists. This was your thoughts, opinions, tell me if I'm off base.

"Well, they wouldn't be forcing small businesses to shut down just because they are being unfair, there must be a good reason for this. I bet it's for our safety."
    You would be very wrong and couldn't be further from the truth.

I never publically shared my stance on any of the COVID restrictions on the forum because they were/are contrary to the broader public opinion, mostly because I know a thing or two about viruses and how they spread.

I have never been a big fan of any government imposed mask mandage and was very much not a fan of shutdowns. I am a fan of vaccines, but am not okay with any government mandate for people to get them. If private companies want to, that's their business.

Not sure how this relates to my views on the window tint law. I didn't do any digging in LA law to see who proposed the initial law or what their motivations were, but it just doesn't read like its intent is prohibiting the privacy that is afforded by window tint. Rather, the law reads like a safety law, akin to requiring that drivers wear seatbelts.

There is no arguing that dark tint makes it harder to see. We can argue how dark is too dark all day, but that doesn't really matter in LA as the law is already written. Someone already decided what "too dark" is just as someone already decided that the save speed on parts of I12 is 60MPH. Sure, I can very easily handle 100 MPH in a sports car as safely as an 18-wheeler can handle 60, but the law is written to be as comprehensive as possible. The same is true for window tinting, from how I'm reading the law.

Luckily, we as citizens can enact change in laws. But, I don't think enough people really care enough about this law. Either break it, get an exception, or follow it. The consequences for all three options are likely fairly minimal, unless you break it (or get an exception), go to dark, and get in a wreck.

Is it likely that someone will tint their windows too dark to really cause a problem? Probably not.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    But like I said previously, I was polite during the whole process. Arguing and acting an ass gets you nowhere fast.
    It is my legal right to travel with empty cases, gun cases or not. They couldn't actually tell what they cases were until they approached the vehicle. The cases didn't give them reason for the stop, it gave them the reason to want to search the vehicle. Wanting something and being legally allowed to do something are 2 totally separate things.

Honestly, if they had asked me about the cases, or wanted to look at the cases, I probably would have been ok with it. But he never mentioned the cases until it was all said and done. He went straight to "you mind if I search your vehicle?"
    Every day most people commit at least one or more felonies according to a few studies / books.

Every time everyone drives, it's likely that they are breaking SOME law.

Most LEOs who pull folks over "looking for drugs" are not just being nitpicky jerks - they want to get drugs off the street that are killing people all across the country. Yeah, it's annoying to be stopped and be questioned a bit, but it's really not the end of the world.

Last week a very close friend of mine was stopped by a TX Trooper as he and his fiance were driving in a rental car across the TX/Oklahoma border. He was speeding and driving in an area that is ripe with coke trafficking. He was stopped and the fact that he was young, had a somewhat short term rental, and driving in a known drug route opened him up to a bit more questioning than the average joe gets. But he complied, and walked away with a minor speeding ticket.

Maybe the same officer stops someone an hour later and takes a few pounds of laced coke off the streets and saves a bunch of lives? Is that worth the incoveinance that my buddy went through? I say yes.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Every day most people commit at least one or more felonies according to a few studies / books.

Every time everyone drives, it's likely that they are breaking SOME law.

Most LEOs who pull folks over "looking for drugs" are not just being nitpicky jerks - they want to get drugs off the street that are killing people all across the country. Yeah, it's annoying to be stopped and be questioned a bit, but it's really not the end of the world.

Last week a very close friend of mine was stopped by a TX Trooper as he and his fiance were driving in a rental car across the TX/Oklahoma border. He was speeding and driving in an area that is ripe with coke trafficking. He was stopped and the fact that he was young, had a somewhat short term rental, and driving in a known drug route opened him up to a bit more questioning than the average joe gets. But he complied, and walked away with a minor speeding ticket.

Maybe the same officer stops someone an hour later and takes a few pounds of laced coke off the streets and saves a bunch of lives? Is that worth the incoveinance that my buddy went through? I say yes.
    I say that you are naive. I'll say it 'till I'm blue in the face. A lot of laws that are in place, disguised as being for public safety, are really only there for public control.
    I'll use drugs for an example, since covid has already been stated.
    A well intentioned officer makes a stop and busts a mule with, let's say 100 kilos. That's a lot, right? A whole bunch of lives saved.... If you are naive, you will probably believe that. I do not, because I know that no matter how well that officer's intentions are aimed, or how much drugs he "took off the streets", there is an infinite amount that is coming right behind it. Guess who is running the whole operation? The same people that the well intentioned officer works for.
    So, they put on this facade of the boogie man selling drugs, but the whole time, it's "they" under the Scooby Doo boogie man mask.
    They write laws to "address the problem", but few actually realize that those laws are actually aimed at them, not the fake boogie man.

Most people refuse to believe these things, even with mountains of evidence to back it up, but the evidence does not lie.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    That's correct, a private space. My vehicle is my private space. No one can enter that space without a warrant, or unless I give them enough reason to enter. What goes on inside of my vehicle is no one's business, so long as I am breaking no laws.
    Even though a lot of people were yelling from the mountain tops about how dumb and ridiculous the covid mandates were (in the beginning, not a year or 2 later), the average person did not want to hear it. Why? Because big daddy government said they are enforcing these mandates "for your safety" and they all just gobbled it up. People like myself were shunned, punished, and labeled as selfish because we refused to go along with the obvious clown world lies. Now, almost 3 years later, people have almost no choice but to admit they were wrong, some still cling to the lies for self preservation.

This is not much different. A false reason is given for a law/mandate, for our safety, but in reality, it is about control. Doesn't matter how you cut it, spin it, shoot it, whatever, it still is what it is.
    No one can enter the vehicle is correct but I sure can look into the front front windows and windshield because you didn’t get the special tint pass….lol

I’m highly against covid mandates on private property “government property I can somewhat understand”.

The best advice I can give you is to get high quality ceramic tint for the heat/uv rays and some really dark sunglasses then you can drive around blasting F-the police while pretending you have blacked out windows.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I say that you are naive. I'll say it 'till I'm blue in the face. A lot of laws that are in place, disguised as being for public safety, are really only there for public control.
    A well intentioned officer makes a stop and busts a mule with, let's say 100 kilos. That's a lot, right? A whole bunch of lives saved.... If you are naive, you will probably believe that. I do not, because I know that no matter how well that officer's intentions are aimed, or how much drugs he "took off the streets", there is an infinite amount that is coming right behind it. Guess who is running the whole operation? The same people that the well intentioned officer works for.
    So, they put on this facade of the boogie man selling drugs, but the whole time, it's "they" under the Scooby Doo boogie man mask.
    They write laws to "address the problem", but few actually realize that those laws are actually aimed at them, not the fake boogie man.

Most people refuse to believe these things, even with mountains of evidence to back it up, but the evidence does not lie.
    How many Weed possession busts, with the lost jobs and scholarships, lost homes, and ruined lives over having an unrefined herb that God created, between a big bust like that for dangerous drugs? 100,000:1? Authoritarians/fear based believers will even still today call it totally justifiable to ruin all of those lives, because "it helps the police gets bad guys off the streets". lol, It's pretty amazing what mental gymnastics people will do to justify their actions or beliefs, "I still believe in personal freedom!" At least they are slowly losing those laws to control people with, and to make the excuse for window tint "for me, not for thee".

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Well, at least I know where all of the tin foil went. No wonder the local supermarkets have been out.

But seriously, obviously the overall system is mostly broken. At the end of the day, every ounce of laced drugs that are taken off of the streets likely saves lives.

You can hate on the popo as much as you want, but they're just doing their job. To say that the well-intentioned officer is working for people responsible for the whole operation is an incredible generalization.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    How many Weed possession busts, with the lost jobs and scholarships, lost homes, and ruined lives over having an unrefined herb that God created, between a big bust like that for dangerous drugs? 100,000:1? Authoritarians/fear based believers will even still today call it totally justifiable to ruin all of those lives, because "it helps the police gets bad guys off the streets". lol, It's pretty amazing what mental gymnastics people will do to justify their actions or beliefs, "I still believe in personal freedom!" At least they are slowly losing those laws to control people with, and to make the excuse for window tint "for me, not for thee".
    It really is sad those people couldn’t follow such simple laws.

Why be upset with the police they don’t write the laws.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    How many people knowingly broke the law and possessed weed in a location where it was illegal?

Weed should be legal, but it's not. Doing things that are illegal means that you are accepting of the consequences.

How many minors have gotten MIPs from knowingly drinking?
    How many drunks have gotten arrested for drinking and driving?
    How many people have been arrested or ticketed for knowingly speeding?

It's not about personal freedom - it's about blatently breaking a law and expecting there not to be consequences.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Well, at least I know where all of the tin foil went. No wonder the local supermarkets have been out.

But seriously, obviously the overall system is mostly broken. At the end of the day, every ounce of laced drugs that are taken off of the streets likely saves lives.

You can hate on the popo as much as you want, but they're just doing their job. To say that the well-intentioned officer is working for people responsible for the whole operation is an incredible generalization.

I don't even have enough time in the day to post every example out there, and I won't because that would require a whole new thread. However, to say that my statement requires tin foil, is laughable at this point and a golden example of cognitive dissonance.
    Sure, that fictional well intentioned officer may also have a well intentioned employer (at the local level especially, maybe) but the root of it all is at the top, and sh*t rolls downhill.
    I do tend to be a bit forgetful but I don't believe any of my posts have hated on police in particular. I may hate on the laws that they enforce but the majority are just like the fictional officer I speak about. This does not mean that there are not bad apples that bend the laws and abuse their power to conduct illegal activities that average, innocent citizens often pay the price for.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't even have enough time in the day to post every example out there, and I won't because that would require a whole new thread. However, to say that my statement requires tin foil, is laughable at this point and a golden example of cognitive dissonance.
    Sure, that fictional well intentioned officer may also have a well intentioned employer (at the local level especially, maybe) but the root of it all is at the top, and sh*t rolls downhill.
    I do tend to be a bit forgetful but I don't believe any of my posts have hated on police in particular. I may hate on the laws that they enforce but the majority are just like the fictional officer I speak about. This does not mean that there are not bad apples that bend the laws and abuse their power to conduct illegal activities that average, innocent citizens often pay the price for.

What is "the top"?

Top Bottom