videos like this do not help the .22lr shortage.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Until recently I was not even aware a 22lr was effective past 150 yards. It has some impressive capability.

Yeah...hitting something past 100 yards with a .22 is not as easy as it sounds. I am not saying it is not doable, but it is not that easy with non match grade bullets.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    There was an old thread on Snipers Hide where a guy wanted to test the lethality of the .22lr round on a clothed turkey at 300yds and even the sub-sonic stuff penetrated very well through clothing, innards, and the turkey itself. It's at least 3 or 4 years old.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    There was an old thread on Snipers Hide where a guy wanted to test the lethality of the .22lr round on a clothed turkey at 300yds and even the sub-sonic stuff penetrated very well through clothing, innards, and the turkey itself. It's at least 3 or 4 years old.

300 yards with a subsonic round? I just don't see how that will be accurate...

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Yeah...hitting something past 100 yards with a .22 is not as easy as it sounds. I am not saying it is not doable, but it is not that easy with non match grade bullets.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Heck last time I was at honey island I was on the rifle side at a 100 yards I was hitting the plate almost every shot with my buckmark and mark III for shitz and gigs. That was with cheap federal bulk box stuff and I'm far from a marksman but even with a stiff breeze it was easy.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why wouldn't it be? It generally would be more accurate than a super sonic round.

At 300 yards? It just seems like the bullet would drop a decent amount at such a slow speed.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    At 300 yards? It just seems like the bullet would drop a decent amount at such a slow speed.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Yes, there is more of a drop but subsonic flight is going to be more consistent. I have done some shooting at up to 300 yards with my suppressed Savage FV-SR using Wolf Match Target (subsonic/standard velocity) ammo. It is quite surprising how accurate it is if you can find a day with little to no wind. It may have taken a few tries but I was able to hit a clay pigeon usually in under 5 tries at 275 yards.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

Sent from my Galaxy S4

All bullets drop and all bullets are affected by wind. Neither has anything to do with accuracy. Now traveling back through the transonic barrier, which is what a supersonic .22lr bullet will do before 300yds, WILL affect it's flight path and stability.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, there is more of a drop but subsonic flight is going to be more consistent. I have done some shooting at up to 300 yards with my suppressed Savage FV-SR using Wolf Match Target (subsonic/standard velocity) ammo. It is quite surprising how accurate it is if you can find a day with little to no wind. It may have taken a few tries but I was able to hit a clay pigeon usually in under 5 tries at 275 yards.

Wow. I had trouble shooting the cap off a water bottle at 50 yards with subsonic rounds. Put in reg 22s and hit it first shot. I kinda figured it was the rounds...but it could have been just me.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Wow. I had trouble shooting the cap off a water bottle at 50 yards with subsonic rounds. Put in reg 22s and hit it first shot. I kinda figured it was the rounds...but it could have been just me.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

You make accuracy judgements for long range .22lr ballistics and capabilities based off of that?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You make accuracy judgements for long range .22lr ballistics and capabilities based off of that?

Yup. I'm not too into the whole ballistics calculations stuff. I probably should learn more.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Yup. I'm not too into the whole ballistics calculations stuff. I probably should learn more.

Think of sub-sonic ballistics just like throwing a rock. You still have environmental factors (gravity, wind, etc.) playing on the bullet, but things are much more simple in terms of bullet stabilization. Water doesn't turn to vapor, things don't slow down as rapidly, and the bullet doesn't have 40g's of force trying to overcome it anymore. Of course there will be a point where the bullet starts to tumble, but with the center of gravity so far forward (like on a .22lr bullet) it can stay stable at pretty slow speeds. That is the same reason certain bullet designs like the 180gr RN are ideal for .308win sub-sonic rounds.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Think of sub-sonic ballistics just like throwing a rock. You still have environmental factors (gravity, wind, etc.) playing on the bullet, but things are much more simple in terms of bullet stabilization. Water doesn't turn to vapor, things don't slow down as rapidly, and the bullet doesn't have 40g's of force trying to overcome it anymore. Of course there will be a point where the bullet starts to tumble, but with the center of gravity so far forward (like on a .22lr bullet) it can stay stable at pretty slow speeds. That is the same reason certain bullet designs like the 180gr RN are ideal for .308win sub-sonic rounds.

Awesome. More reasons for me to shoot. 22s more :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    This needs to be posted in the Rimfire section --

Very interesting , thanks for the post!!

Moved - Austin

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria

Still can't get the image of someone clothing that big bird out of my mind, lol.

Malachi

Yes, I'm new.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Morgan City
    i have not shot in a VERY long time because there is just no ammo to have. im trying to teach shooting to my 8 year old, and people hording 150,000 rounds is pissing me off!

Top Bottom