Vortex viper pst 1-4 vs Horus vision talon 1-4 vs Swfa Ss 1-4

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    I've been looking into a variable 1x scope for some time now and I've narrowed it down to these three , there is a bit of a price difference but relative to performance they are all very similar with the pros and cons varying from brand to brand .
    I would like to know your opinions on these , I'm not looking for a scope for competition I'm looking for a duty grade scope good for most real world scenarios I've got pick one and learn how to use it .
    Any and all input on this will be appreciated, I hope to generate a good discussion on this thread .

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    And I'm going to go ahead and add that if I can afford the nightforce at the time of purchase I WILL buy it because I know someone is going to say :
    "Just save up a couple hundred more dollars and buy the Nightforce"
    If I can I will ,but for the money these are imo the best.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    And I'm going to go ahead and add that if I can afford the nightforce at the time of purchase I WILL buy it because I know someone is going to say :
    "Just save up a couple hundred more dollars and buy the Nightforce"
    If I can I will ,but for the money these are imo the best.

Call Jay at Sport Optics, and see what he'll let you have a NF for, if its a duty scope I'm sure he will help you out, I've bought a couple, 2 , 3 NF's from him and he treated me very good.
    I have the FC-2 reticle in my 1-4 and think its the best for close up fast work, and works well out to 400, a buddy has the pst and I got to play with it, nice scope, but I like the NF with the FC-2 better, if you can get a PST with covered turrets, go that route, they spin to easy

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Great read thnx for that ,and it does help a lot and for all you guys who think the nightforce 1-4 is waaay better than any of the scopes mentioned in this thread, think again.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I looking for the same thing you are. A good 1-4x. It isn’t so much as which scope is better, it’s more of a question of what scope will be the best in the long run.

The SS 1-4x24 is $800
    If this scope turns out to be a turd and you buy another scope, you will have spent substantially more than a NF

The Burris 1-4x24 will run about $700. For me, the scope has builder reputation, good glass and a great illuminated ballistics reticle
    A $800 bet on a SS is something I can’t afford at this time. Even if the bet works out, it’s still $100 more than the Burris. I would always have less confidence in the SS until it proved itself

The Burris is being run in three gun and there haven’t be any problems. The lighted reticle was supposedly to dim for daylight operation but this is supposed to have been fixed

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    I looking for the same thing you are. A good 1-4x. It isn’t so much as which scope is better, it’s more of a question of what scope will be the best in the long run.

The SS 1-4x24 is $800
    If this scope turns out to be a turd and you buy another scope, you will have spent substantially more than a NF

The Burris 1-4x24 will run about $700. For me, the scope has builder reputation, good glass and a great illuminated ballistics reticle
    A $800 bet on a SS is something I can’t afford at this time. Even if the bet works out, it’s still $100 more than the Burris. I would always have less confidence in the SS until it proved itself

The Burris is being run in three gun and there haven’t be any problems. The lighted reticle was supposedly to dim for daylight operation but this is supposed to have been fixed
    What about the vortex its really the front runner of the group , atleast for me
    I've heard mixed reviews on all burris products ,what it really comes down to for me is who had the best warranty and according to a post on another forum vortex customer service is second to none but then you can't believe everything you read on the web.
    So you've gotta make a choice and go with it .
    To be honest I never really considered a burris but ill check it out , thnx.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    The Vortex is interesting. A poster on the falfiles is asking for feedback but not getting much.
    A Vortex 1-4x24 Razor HD is $1,200 and the Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST is $500

That’s a big difference. Is there some big quality downgrade for the Viper PST?
    If the difference is that big, I’d rather pay a little more and get the Burris

With the Razor HD just below the cost of a NF. $1,200 would be a huge gamble for an unknown scope.
    I’d rather get the NF

The Burris 1-4 Xtreme does have a 30mm tube and has been run through the three gun wringer for some time now. At this time it appears to be a very good scope
    The reticle, at least for me, is about perfect. Lighted semi-circle/horseshoe for close and a BDC for longer range.

There is or was a Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V for $154.00 I would still rather make a $154 bet on the Weaver than bet substantially more on an unknown such as Vortex

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    The Vortex is interesting. A poster on the falfiles is asking for feedback but not getting much.
    A Vortex 1-4x24 Razor HD is $1,200 and the Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST is $500

That’s a big difference. Is there some big quality downgrade for the Viper PST?
    If the difference is that big, I’d rather pay a little more and get the Burris

With the Razor HD just below the cost of a NF. $1,200 would be a huge gamble for an unknown scope.
    I’d rather get the NF

The Burris 1-4 Xtreme does have a 30mm tube and has been run through the three gun wringer for some time now. At this time it appears to be a very good scope
    The reticle, at least for me, is about perfect. Lighted semi-circle/horseshoe for close and a BDC for longer range.

There is or was a Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V for $154.00 I would still rather make a $154 bet on the Weaver than bet substantially more on an unknown such as Vortex
    I you look at the viper pst and the razor hd they're practically identical except for the color, reticles are the same even, so I wonder what is the difference between the two ,indeed for 1200$ I would get something a bit more known but still wouldn't buy the nf .

Last edited:

G19MAG

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Bossier City
    My .02

I like Vortex because of their warrenty.

However, in my humble experience with low magnification it doesn't really matter. If you have really bad eyes then maybe buying the most clear lens is the way to go. The only problem is clarity cost $.

I just put a simmons scope I bought for $30 at Academy on my PTR 91 and was able to shoot 12x12 steel targets with ease out to 400 yards at Long Range Alley. Shot about 100 rounds this past weekend and it still hasn't shaken loose. If it lasts 500 rounds without losing zero and breaking, it has more than paid for it's self and proven worthy to stay on the rifle. LOL

My Aimpoint Comp M2 red dot is good out to 300 yards with no magnification. The AK is able to shoots the 200 yard gongs at Bodcau with Irons. I sayy all this because it's all relative. I see guys all the time with their expensive, high speed low drag set up, yet they are not able to explain what all the extras do to help their shooting or how to read the reticle. I believe in getting good with irons first then start using scopes.

To answer the OP, if money is not an issue I would go with the Horus. They have an excellent reticle that once you know your formula for your particular bullet takes the guess work out of hold over shots. It does take some getting used to but once you know how to read it, you won't go back. If I'm not mistaken Leupold has their reticle on their new scopes.

Cheers,
    Ed

kbrview

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Alexandria, LA.
    I decided on the Vortex PST 1-4. It is on the way to me now. From what I have read and heard it is the best glass for the money. Will let you know what I think in a week or so.
    Snipershide.com has alot of good reading on these scopes.

dockbox

Lead Farmer
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have owned the Burris XTR 14, the Vortex Viper PST 1-4, Trijicon Accupoint TR24G, and US optics SN4-S. I sold my Vortex because at least 3 people I persanlly know had issues with the Vortex scopes. Vortex fixed them with there great customer service, but they still needed to be fixed almost immediately with very little use. It is also my opinion that the Vortex Vipers got too much hype. The Burris XTR is just as clear, and has greater field of view. It also has a bullet drop reticle. I must disclose that I am getting ready to sell my burris XTR to fund a 3-12 power scope. ( I have three 1-4 power scopes right now and need to branch out a little bit.)

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    Well, nobody has had a single problem with their Vortex since that happened (about 3 months ago), I'd put good money on it being a problem with a batch, not a scope problem. Also I've never had any issue with mine, and you know I run it hard and often. There are some things I would point out about the Vortex, but I've not owned the others, so I can't say if it's any better on them. The low light range (1-5) is a little too low, but 6 is much too bright for night shooting and the illumination will wash out a little in direct sunlight. This problem in sunlight is 'normal' for scopes in general, it seems. While mine is up for sale right now if I decided to buy another 1-4, It would be the Viper again or the NF if the money wasn't an issue.

Edited to add that I'm going from a 1-4 to a much higher power, the same as Docbox.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom