Vp9 vs 509T for fun!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Natchitoches ( outside of )
    Love /hate either?
    Personal fails /successes?
    I like hearing from peers , YouTube is mostly shills.
    Before you say “ it’s up to you and what you shoot best”
    Let’s assume I have considered that.
    813dccea67c425afee2a8f7629cb47a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The full size VP9 fits my hands better. Has a great trigger. Plus came with 3 magazines and better sites as I grabbed the LE as was not much more to upgrade

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    The full size VP9 fits my hands better. Has a great trigger. Plus came with 3 magazines and better sites as I grabbed the LE as was not much more to upgrade
    I like the way both of them feel, after a mag both feel natural. I grabbed the 3 mag / night sight set uptoo. I just pushed them off and added the evaluated sight from HK shop. The most inexpensive thing I have ever bought hk. $20 steel sights from hk..I didn't believe until I got them. Now I have see what the night sights will fit as I know they are not same as standard vp9. Maybe on of my p30? Google Fu.

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    A buddy of mine has the 509 non tactical and I have the vp9T. Both are great guns but I prefer my vp9 a little more. Call it bias but I like the the way the grip on my vp9 fits my hand more. The side panels in the grip make all the difference for me. The 509 is just a little to boxy.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Im pro VP....I sell both pretty easily and regularly. Much more VP9 sold though. Have installed triggers and parts on both. The 509 kinda sucks to work on. I know not everything can be easy but the VP has it beat there. I do find that the HKs typically have a nicer fit and feel to them overall. Oem trigger is better on VP. Ergos are better, especially considering the grip panel options.

The VP9 barrel is made from cold hammer forged cannon grade steel. It's also features polygonal rifling. We had one VP that came in used in a big batch of used guns from another store....this thing ate sh!t. Had to have been a double charged round or something...maybe Bubba pissin hot reloads? No telling...But it did fracture the frame and damage the tab on the mag and bend the slide rails. BUT the barrel remained undamaged. Zero signs of failure. This probably kept the gun from failing more catastrophically and potentially saved the end user from serious injury. I can post pics if you guys are interested.

I have put a VP9 or a P30 in many different individuals hands. Thousands over the past years. They typically have a WOW THIS THING FITS kinda response. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it well.

Also to add /edit. I've seen frames cracked from pins attempted to be punched out in 509s. Sure there may have been negligence involved in some of the cases I have seen. But why FN why? Why make it this hard when you KNOW people are gonna go right to Apex and order a damn aluminum trigger to fix the oem shittie pull?!

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Im pro VP....I sell both pretty easily and regularly. Much more VP9 sold though. Have installed triggers and parts on both. The 509 kinda sucks to work on. I know not everything can be easy but the VP has it beat there. I do find that the HKs typically have a nicer fit and feel to them overall. Oem trigger is better on VP. Ergos are better, especially considering the grip panel options.

The VP9 barrel is made from cold hammer forged cannon grade steel. It's also features polygonal rifling. We had one VP that came in used in a big batch of used guns from another store....this thing ate sh!t. Had to have been a double charged round or something...maybe Bubba pissin hot reloads? No telling...But it did fracture the frame and damage the tab on the mag and bend the slide rails. BUT the barrel remained undamaged. Zero signs of failure. This probably kept the gun from failing more catastrophically and potentially saved the end user from serious injury. I can post pics if you guys are interested.

I have put a VP9 or a P30 in many different individuals hands. Thousands over the past years. They typically have a WOW THIS THING FITS kinda response. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it well.

Also to add /edit. I've seen frames cracked from pins attempted to be punched out in 509s. Sure there may have been negligence involved in some of the cases I have seen. But why FN why? Why make it this hard when you KNOW people are gonna go right to Apex and order a damn aluminum trigger to fix the oem shittie pull?!

I really enjoyed the first hand experience read.

I would like to see pics if they are handy. It does demonstrate material quality.

I’m still looking for someone to rmr cut my p30 that doesn’t have a what seems to be a 6month turn around.

Vp9 does feel great( options are considerable) but I am guilty of feeling the same about the 509. I guess the “ blocky” feel is ingrained from all the glocks over the years.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I'd imagine both are good but I just don't see the need to spend that much money on a gun when Glock does the same for much cheaper. To each their own.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    I'd imagine both are good but I just don't see the need to spend that much money on a gun when Glock does the same for much cheaper. To each their own.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.
    I like glocks , no denying it! But I always find myself , modifying them..sights and frames. I don't usually mess with the triggers. But my big ole middle finger needs a little more room under the guard. So I always end up putting more money into a glock than initial purchase price. Is it needed, no? But it always happens.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Love my HK’s. Been buying and shooting since the early 90’s.
    Not a fan of the 509 although I do own FNX9 and FNX40 pistols.
    I had a 509 and I had a Sig 320 and put them both in the same category…gone. Just not my cup of tea.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Love my HK’s. Been buying and shooting since the early 90’s.
    Not a fan of the 509 although I do own FNX9 and FNX40 pistols.
    I had a 509 and I had a Sig 320 and put them both in the same category…gone. Just not my cup of tea.

Fair enough. I feel the same about the 320. I love the way they shoot but I do not like the striker / block / sear design - how they interact. But I’m no gunsmith.
    The Fn I’m ok with the interaction. I know they have been some firing pin issues , but I have a apex on order to just have in parts box.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Fair enough. I feel the same about the 320. I love the way they shoot but I do not like the striker / block / sear design - how they interact. But I’m no gunsmith.
    The Fn I’m ok with the interaction. I know they have been some firing pin issues , but I have a apex on order to just have in parts box.

I hated my 320 right out the box. I wasn’t inclined to search for a better grip to make up for the high bore axis but that was the least of my problems with the gun. It was extremely unreliable. I allowed for a break in period and after about 5 boxes of mixed 9mm it still had many ftf issues. Stovepipe city. I sent it back. After a week or so later it came back with no description of any work being done or even a note saying “fify”and I found it to still have about the same number of failures no matter what I tried. Lemon? Maybe. The reports I kept hearing of drop safe issues was the kicker and I parted with the pistol. The 509 actually shot better but had its share of reliability issues and had to go. On par with those pistols and one I’ve yet to have a single issue with is a CZ P10-C that cost me $401 total NIB.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    I hated my 320 right out the box. I wasn’t inclined to search for a better grip to make up for the high bore axis but that was the least of my problems with the gun. It was extremely unreliable. I allowed for a break in period and after about 5 boxes of mixed 9mm it still had many ftf issues. Stovepipe city. I sent it back. After a week or so later it came back with no description of any work being done or even a note saying “fify”and I found it to still have about the same number of failures no matter what I tried. Lemon? Maybe. The reports I kept hearing of drop safe issues was the kicker and I parted with the pistol. The 509 actually shot better but had its share of reliability issues and had to go. On par with those pistols and one I’ve yet to have a single issue with is a CZ P10-C that cost me $401 total NIB.
    Yeah, crap experience. It would have been gone for me too. Have hopes for the FN. I enjoyed their FNS offering.

joe504glock

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2022
    Metairie
    Im a big fan of the Walther ppq/HK VP9/Canik style guns all based on the p99, probably coke with the best stock striker fired pistol trigger pulls for gun under $1k. The trigger on the FN feels like squeezing a condom full of broken glass imo.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Im a big fan of the Walther ppq/HK VP9/Canik style guns all based on the p99, probably coke with the best stock striker fired pistol trigger pulls for gun under $1k. The trigger on the FN feels like squeezing a condom full of broken glass imo.

Hahahaha. Damn. Now I’m gonna sell it. Can’t be squeezing on that. Haha

SouthernInsanity

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 31, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Love /hate either?
    Personal fails /successes?
    I like hearing from peers , YouTube is mostly shills.
    Before you say “ it’s up to you and what you shoot best”
    Let’s assume I have considered that.
    813dccea67c425afee2a8f7629cb47a3.jpg

Love the adjustability of the VP9 grip but I've never been a fan of the trigger guard paddle mag release.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Haven't fondled a 509, but I'm a yuuuuge VP9 fan. I had that "holy crap this thing just fits!" moment @rcm192 was speaking about.

When I hit about 15k rounds through my first one, I picked up a second one. I've driven these things pretty hard and they just won't quit on me. I run the optic-ready slide with a Romeo 1 Pro 6moa.

One lives stock, the other I've messed around with a fair bit: added the HKParts defensive spring kit and polished the disco smooth (takes out that "hitch" in the pretravel some of them have) which now gives me about a 2lb 3oz break, added a stainless guide rod with 17# recoil spring (the factory one is 20lb), dremeled out the frame at the base of the grip to create a magwell, added silicone carbide to the grips, etc. I've been eyeballing the Lobos trigger, but fortunately for my wallet it's been sold out for many months... I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but the spring kit / polish job absolutely did what I needed done.

Fun fact: once you get the stainless guide rod and the ability to fiddle with spring weights, the VP9 takes regular ol' Glock 17 recoil springs.

I got the "B" models with the button mag release. The HK guys say this makes me impure but I'm with @SouthernInsanity on this one... paddles are for boats, not pistols.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom