WAFB: Teen Uses AK-47 Street Sweeper Assault Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I think they used just about every anti-gun word in this story:

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=7983423

Do we need to send letters to the editor to correct them?

FTFA:

A Baton Rouge teenager is accused of using an assault rifle to try to kill his father Friday afternoon.

Detectives found bullet casings littering the street near the 3300 block of Brady Street, in the Istrouma area.

Despite multiple shots being fired, detectives say the victim was only shot in his arm. He survived and was taken to Earl K. Long Hospital for treatment.

"The juvenile and his father had a verbal argument that ended in gunfire," said Baton Rouge Police spokesman Cpl. L'Jean McKneely, Jr.

The teen reportedly used an AK-47-type assault rifle in the shootings, which is commonly known as a "street sweeper."

The teenager was charged with attempted murder. Because he is a juvenile, police did not release his name or the name of his father.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    About to send this to the reporter. What do you think?

A "street sweeper" is not an assault rifle or a rifle of any type. The firearm commonly known as a street sweeper is a shotgun called an Armsel Striker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armsel_Striker

I imagine you chose the words street sweeper, assault rifle, and "AK-47 style" because they were catchy and sounded very evil. Or maybe the police on the scene gave you those words. Regardless, it's irresponsible and unethical to use words in a news story for the sole purpose of causing fear in the general public. Why couldn't use just write the teen used "a rifle" without the scary and incorrect adjectives? Or write the exact type of rifle that was used. I highly doubt it was an actual AK-47. Would it have been any different if a hunting rifle was used?

Please post a correction to your story and at the very least remove the phrase "street sweeper".

Thank you.

PS The Advocate used none of the anti-gun terminology you did. I consider this fair reporting.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/16395061.html

Edit: The reporters email is rhays@wafb.com. Please write and let's get this corrected.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    As a reporter he has the responsibility to write accurate stories. "Street Sweeper" is not accurate by any stretch. This is a local story and reporter. It won't take much to get his attention on this. The Advocate was honest enough to write a complete adjective and slang free story.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Bleh, I once saw a local news reporter call a seized SKS an "assault weapon" and an "AK-47". It was just a poor old regular SKS with the fixed 10 round mag, yet it was miss-labeled as "evil" by the lying media.

I pretty much gave up on watching the news because I am convinced that most news stories fall under the category of "we tell you what we want you to hear" versus reporting the actual facts of the events that took place. It seems to me that modern society has forgotten what was taught back in the good old days: "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see".

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Wow, great news. He wrote back and has actually changed the story to remove "AK-47" and "street sweeper" though he left in "assault rifle" which I think is a good compromise since it may have actually been an assault rifle for all I know. One voice can make a difference! Original email below.

RE:BR Teen Accused of Trying to Kill Father with Assault Rifle
    You make a great point. I have deleted those references from my online
    report.

Sincerely,

Robb Hays
    Assistant News Director
    WAFB-TV, CBS Affiliate
    BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA
    (225) 215-4801
    rhays@wafb.com

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I offered to take the reporter to Precision and demonstrate the difference between an AK-47, assault rifle, and the many other weapons they confuse on a daily basis. Hope some of you guys can help if he says yes!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I offered to take the reporter to Precision and demonstrate the difference between an AK-47, assault rifle, and the many other weapons they confuse on a daily basis. Hope some of you guys can help if he says yes!

I can help you. I have a couple of nice AK's and an AR. I may even have access to a full auto. It will be fun.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom