want to get pissed about something else!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Don't count on the gubment for your safety when **** hits the fan.

Why wasn't Ascension on the list?
    50442892.jpg

:)

Last edited:

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I read the report on Tangipahoa, since I live there and found that DAP appeared to be treated nicely by OEP staff. I also have sat in on parish planning meetings in the past prior to hurricanes including Katrina and know for a fact that they do indeed prepare and do have plans. I have worked with the OEP office as an amateur radio operator and am confident as a resident in the staff there because I have had direct interaction with them and have seen them plan for emergencies and operate during the same. I have participated in several emergency drills as well. They are professional and serious about their responsibilities.

I don't like the way DAP makes a cold-call visit to the OEP on one occasion and is unable to meet with the director because he was in a meeting. DAP puts the word "meeting" in quotes as if the director was dodging them while other OEP staff gave them documents and information. They use the word 'county' instead of parish at one point. My point is, this DAP probably presented themselves something like a 60 Minutes crew trying to break some story. Plus the report is over a year old.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I hope your right, ER, as a ham myself, I have not been involved much with radio down here... since 06 I guess.. How much do you really get involved and how much is red cross and not hams..

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I hope your right, ER, as a ham myself, I have not been involved much with radio down here... since 06 I guess.. How much do you really get involved and how much is red cross and not hams..

Here in Tangipahoa, the Red Cross opens and runs the shelters at the request of the parish. The parish may request that a radio operator be present at each shelter. We have plans to provide voice, packet, and email over radio if available. The parish government includes amateur radio in their emergency plans, has purchased some equipment and always utilizes us to pass traffic during drills.
    A couple of guys in our ARES group have had Red Cross training but report to the ARES coordinator and not Red Cross. When at the shelter, they do answer to the Red Cross though. RC wanted background checks, not just criminal but credit and "mode of living" whatever that means for all volunteers and wanted the radio operators to take all kinds of Red Cross training such as CPR, driving their meals on wheels truck, making sandwiches, and other specific shelter related jobs. Most of the radio guys said they would volunteer to provide communications and that was all.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Tip from former Salvation Army worker ( full time )

The RC and/or Salvation Army and lots of others want to make sure there is barely enuff people to run the game, the " donations " are the target, not the vic's

Seen this first hand......

No witnesses.......is better than dumb witnesses.......you do the math

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Tip from former Salvation Army worker ( full time )

The RC and/or Salvation Army and lots of others want to make sure there is barely enuff people to run the game, the " donations " are the target, not the vic's

Seen this first hand......

No witnesses.......is better than dumb witnesses.......you do the math

I have a good friend who said the same thing and was in a similar position..

Top Bottom