WANTED: Real world feedback G44 vs SR22 vs TX22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I'm not interested in what sponsored YouTube cowboys have to say about the free pistol they're doing a review on. I care more about what people who spend their own cash on a 22lr trainer and then use it purposefully on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for constructive feedback.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I bought the TX-22 after reading several reviews, I normally wouldn't buy a Taurus but this gun made me a believer. It shoots great, no malfunction other than when I tried subsonics I had 1 failure to eject, never had another issue. After several hundred rounds of high velocity, I'm impressed. I put a fiber optic front sight on it and bought 4 more mags.

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I've had an sr 22 for 5 + years
    Thousands of rounds (around 5k)
    No issues that weren't ammo related
    I (try) clean it every 500 rds or as it starts to cycle slower from buildup.

Excellent little fun gun , wife loves it

I give it 5 gold bullets !

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    No experience with the Taurus but did recently get a G44 for my kid. If you are a Glock owner, it’s a great training tool since it’s modeled directly after the G19. First range trip was bad, would only cycle quality high velocity ammo (CCI MiniMag). Lots of FTF issues but powered through ~200 rounds. Gave it a good cleaning and lubing and next range trip it ran 100% even with bulk stuff and subsonics (Gemtech).

Very happy overall, but at the end of the day it just performs like a solid basic .22LR and great training tool if you’re a Glock shooter. My Ruger 22/45 Lite is a much more “fun” plinker. No experience with the Taurus but I’ve heard good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    My rankings:

1. Taurus TX22-eats all the 22s without any hiccups.

2. Ruger SR22-eats most 22s, firing pin broke and Ruger had it taken care of within 1 week.

3. Glock 44-Had lots of failures to feed from most 22. Sold it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I bought the TX-22 after reading several reviews, I normally wouldn't buy a Taurus but this gun made me a believer. It shoots great, no malfunction other than when I tried subsonics I had 1 failure to eject, never had another issue. After several hundred rounds of high velocity, I'm impressed. I put a fiber optic front sight on it and bought 4 more mags.

TX 22 is the best .22lr pistol I’ve come across.
    I have to agree with you guys. I love my 22 auto pistols.
    I’ve shot the Glock and it does have a good full sized feel. I like my Beretta 92 a little better, but I’m on my second Taurus TX and for my dollars I dubbed it the best handgun trainer. It’s missing the weight that I appreciate with the Beretta, but the size and trigger pull and feedback make it feel like something between a FN 509 and a Smith M and P shield. 16 round factory mags are a plus. I’ve yet to have one malfunction with either of them, although I’ve only fired the new one a couple hundred rounds. So far I’ve successfully run federal bulk, CCI minimags, Aguila standard and Remmy thunderbolts through the older one and I feel pretty confident that it will consume most any brand 22LR on the market.
    I remember the Glock seemed to have a little more weight and we actually had a few hiccups with federal auto match ammo. Switched to CCI and it ran like a champ.

andmess14

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2016
    Houma, LA
    I like my tx22. It doesn’t like high velocity ammo however. It gobbles any standard velocity load I’ve found. I shoot steel challenge with it.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad your pistols have seen thousands of rounds to support your reports.

Now to hunt for a TX22...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have no experience with the SR22 or G44, but the TX-22 is the only Taurus worth buying. It’s a great little .22lr pistol.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Pretty cool you can also get +5 bumpers from Tandemkross to make your 16 round mags 21 round mags. I have 10 mags for the TX22 6 of which I have added the +5 bumpers. You can’t beat 21+1 in a full size striker fired polymer .22lr pistol that eats anything you feed it.
    Tandemkross is a great company in general for anything .22lr related. They make a lot of nice upgrades and accessories for most .22lr guns

R9firefighter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Keithville La
    Background: USMC Veteran, La ConcealedHandgun Instructer and I own 15 Glocks. I must just be lucky, because my G44 has literally seen a couple thousand rounds with very minimal failures to feed. Being the same size gun as the G19, it’s a very affordable training option for myself, and my wife with ammo being the way it is right now.

tinfoilhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    New Orleans LA
    I picked up a TX22 last month. So far I have been very happy with it. The only thing I don't care for are the sights but there are aftermarket replacements for those. I have put a bunch different types of 22 thru mine and so far the only thing that it had trouble feeding was Herders 22 but herders is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to 22 ammo.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I am waiting on a G44, I carry a G19 and with the ammo situation I want it as a trainer. I own a Ruger MK ll and a Colt 1911 22. My experience with all 22 semi autos is the less oil the better they run. A lot of oil just catches and holds the 22 powder fouling and causes malfunctions.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Background: USMC Veteran, La ConcealedHandgun Instructer and I own 15 Glocks. I must just be lucky, because my G44 has literally seen a couple thousand rounds with very minimal failures to feed. Being the same size gun as the G19, it’s a very affordable training option for myself, and my wife with ammo being the way it is right now.

Ditto.

I have shot my G44 almost every weekend I've owned it. I bought mine about three weeks after it was announced. Round count is somewhere in the vicinity of 3,000.

Other than a very occasional bad primer, and a once-in-a-while FTF, I've not had any problems. Certainly nothing more significant than the gun just needing a good cleaning and oiling.

It's a fantastic little gun. That, and my S&W model 617 are my pandemic range buddies.

Mike

Top Bottom