Went north, way north. “Nova Scotia the ocean playground” pics included

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Went up to Nova Scotia to visit my wife’s family and do a little sight seeing. This is not my first time up there, but it’s been 4-5 years since the last time I went. We flew into Halifax ( took 17 hrs to get to the hotel, delayed flights, changed flights, you know the story)and then head northeast to the quaint town of Antigonish. Stayed at a relatives house for most of the week and made day trips from there. While there I got to go mackerel fishing twice. Only caught 6 on my first trip, but managed to catch 15 on my second trip. They aren’t big, but I was catching 3-4 at a time on the set up we were using. Got to visit a few beaches and eat a lot of good food. Her sister and her husband really took care of us and cooked us some delicious meals. We had steamed mussels, lobster rolls, scallops, t-bones, plus a bunch of other Canadian staples. Did get to drink some local beer, but if you go prepare yourself for sticker shock. The price of food and alcohol is ridiculous. A six pack of 16 oz. craft beer was pushing 30 bucks. A gallon of gas is 6.95. On a positive note there is very little traffic on the interstates and the roads are generally in good shape so it is very easy to drive anywhere in the province. The gun laws are also preposterous with hardly anyone owning a semi automatic handgun or rifle. They do have .22 bolt actions and large caliber rifles for deer and moose, but that is it. All of the locals rail against their government as they know they have given up way to much liberty in exchange for government assistance such as free health care and money for all sorts of things. You better be damn sick if you want treatment quickly. Routine surgeries and procedures such as colonoscopies and sonagrams are a long wait. All in all we had a great trip, as Canada is a beautiful country with tons of natural beauty and very friendly people. If you have a chance fly on up to Halifax and go from there. Any direction you pick will lead you to awesome adventures.
    3c071f75137f76d22724226f3329b63a.jpg

af5300d4a3af7315bd59681153c87d24.jpg

6acb873c1a2c7bc8de18b436a587ccce.jpg

628b29003e76c97ffa8dbd2fd30f807b.jpg

26ca950c1d8b39c483f42fe7b2e43cfa.jpg

b59f9a9054b289ba9bdde251d172c201.jpg

2ab0a0cbabac66ff1b6ff245dbd8ab59.jpg

af10adf107b3289902a8a534e7531546.jpg

28eac640f05a02fa7b6af3f441376517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    Very cool trip!

Mackerel eat very good, especially Spanish. I can't speak for those Greenies, though.

Fine Job enjoying Our Amazing Planet!

lowell66dart

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    St James Parish
    Nova Scotia means New Scotland. I read a bunch on the Acadians story and am linked to them on both sides of my family. I live in and my family has always lived in St. James Parish which was one of the first Acadian settlements. Scotish blood, no wonder I like beer so much.

PS.... I'm an Oak Island junkie.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife has some Scottish blood also. I asked my wife about oak island and the best she can recollect is it has something to do with hidden treasure. Is that correct? I’ll look it up later this evening.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Nova Scotia means New Scotland. I read a bunch on the Acadians story and am linked to them on both sides of my family. I live in and my family has always lived in St. James Parish which was one of the first Acadian settlements. Scotish blood, no wonder I like beer so much.

PS.... I'm an Oak Island junkie.
    My moms folks are from St James. Her maiden name is Schexnayder. Most of the Schexnayders came from that St James area. Lots of Germans settled there.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Another great trip journal Labeeman. It is very helpful to have family or friends in the area one is visiting. My wife and I stopped for the day on a cruse we took in Oct 2018. Took a day tour of the area. Even though we did not have the detailed view you had, we saw enough to know that your description is very accurate. Great people, great part of the world. Prices were not nearly as bad then as they are now, but a lot of things were better then.

Top Bottom