What all types of casings can be reloaded?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaAKman

B.O.W. #318
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    West Monroe,LA
    Well, the aluminum Blazer pistol ammo(berdan primed and aluminum) Most of the steel case ammo is berdan primed and thus a pain to reload. Also any berdan primed cases are
    1 lot more trouble to deprime
    2 almost impossible to find Berdan

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Well, the aluminum Blazer pistol ammo(berdan primed and aluminum) Most of the steel case ammo is berdan primed and thus a pain to reload. Also any berdan primed cases are
    1 lot more trouble to deprime
    2 almost impossible to find Berdan

So if the steel is boxer primed it should be ok to run through the loader?

LouisianaAKman

B.O.W. #318
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    West Monroe,LA
    It can be done, but not reccomended. The steel cases aren't as malleable, therefore more likely to crack upon resizing, not to mention gooping up the inside of your die with green lacquer. As long as it's a readily available caliber, ditch the steel and buy brass boxer

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Ok, so I'll stick to the brass unless 7.62x39 becomes completely unavailable. I have tons of steel cases. If I were to use the steel cases, do I clean them the same way as brass?

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I have hydraulically remover the primers from a bunch of 7.62x39 wolf, and was going to use a primer swaging die and a small drill bit to convert them to boxer, but decided f*ck it and bought 500 IMI brass

I haven't checked the cases to see if they are berdan or boxer, I'm pretty sure they are berdan from the sounds of everyone.

LouisianaAKman

B.O.W. #318
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    West Monroe,LA
    most likely, Wolf, Monarch, Hotshot, and many others are berdan primed. I still have about 500 steel cases sprayed down with Rem oil waiting for a future supply of Berdan primers in the US:dunno:

LouisianaAKman

B.O.W. #318
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    West Monroe,LA
    Man... you must have been seriously bored! I can't think of ANY reloading task more tedious.
    Actually, I had had a little to drink, stumped my toe on the bucket of steel wolf, remembered the trick I read about filling the cases with water, removing the decapping pin and running them through the press. It worked! But, the novelty wore off before long. and I had a water puddle in the man cave. I didn't say it was the smartest thing I've done, but it did entertain me for a couple of hours!:D

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You also don't want to reload the nickle plated brass stuff. The nickle will have a tendency to flake off after it's worked a bit and can make reloading a pain. Your best bet is just to stick with brass/boxer stuff.

sawman

Coyote Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Kinder
    If you have the boxer primed, polymer steel cases (Grey color), I'll take them off your hands. 5.56 or 7.62.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom