What can I shoot!?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Just picked up an el cheapo compound for my first to learn on. ( used PSE thunderbolt, 80lb draw). Hunting seasons in three weeks and I still havent shot a bow yet! I just realized I don't have anything to shoot.. We have some old big hay bales out back, but i'm afraid it'll go right in. Am I right? What are my other options?

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    1. Please purchase an appropriate archery target. There are ways to build a target, but require some archery experience.

2. It takes a significant amount of time to develop archery skill set to a level that one is prepared to ethically take an animal. I would estimate six months of practice with some coaching.

3. Is there a bow shop with range that could help instruct you?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Archery targets available anywhere; academy etc. I practiced shooting doves and armadillos before trying for deer. Put a little time into it, it's a fairly simple skill to pick up.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Morrell six shooter is one of the largest inexpensive bow targets on the market.
    Bow season may be 3 weeks but the peak in 3 months.
    Take all of the necessary time you need to practice.
    Softball size groups are acceptable.
    Baseball size it better.
    Golf all size groups means it's time to practice getting close to a deer.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    There is a shop in town I plan to get it inspected at. Just picked up an archery target at Wal Mart. Didn't realize they were so small and portable. Thanks guys

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Round hay bails is all I used to shoot, I like that better than the little square targets. Depending on how tight they wrap the bails or how old/rotten, it will stop the arrow plenty before the fletching. And you can put one of those full size paper deer targets on a round bail. And you can shoot further without fear of missing that tiny square target until you confirm your holds.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I used to use a cardboar box filled with paper. It worked fine as long as it was packed tight. It was good for a few sessions. I used field points, not broad heads though... It lasted longer if I duct taped it shut.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Just picked up an el cheapo compound for my first to learn on. ( used PSE thunderbolt, 80lb draw). Hunting seasons in three weeks and I still havent shot a bow yet! I just realized I don't have anything to shoot.. We have some old big hay bales out back, but i'm afraid it'll go right in. Am I right? What are my other options?

Cracker..lol
    You need the same practice arrow head as your broad head weight, Sherburne has 3-D target's, Give me a call, Be glad to walk you thru it.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If it's set at 80lbs of draw and you have no experience shooting a bow you are in for a long season. If you can adjust the draw weight I would suggest setting it at 60lbs to start and after a couple weeks shooting move it up to 65lbs and so on. Not sure of your ability but at 80lbs draw you will never be able to hold on a deer long. Long being 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I shot 7 arrows last night while I was still able to see. At about 20 yards it was a softball size grouping. Will go at it again today. I plan on going to the archery shop near by to get some knowledge and check my draw and what not. I'm able to shoot and aim now, just not sure if a different draw length would be even easier.

Will- would def like to go shoot some 3d targets

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I shot 7 arrows last night while I was still able to see. At about 20 yards it was a softball size grouping. Will go at it again today. I plan on going to the archery shop near by to get some knowledge and check my draw and what not. I'm able to shoot and aim now, just not sure if a different draw length would be even easier.

Will- would def like to go shoot some 3d targets

I hear the Bow shop in Eunice is first class!
    I think you can shoot 3-D there also.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Sounds like your already addicted Lol. Yes I do use a range finder (Leopold) is what I use and they can be very helpful. After some time hunting and shooting you will develope the ability to judge range with some accuracy however this takes time. If this is just a starter bow and plan on moving to a new one take some advice and don't invest a lot of money in this one. Best piece to install is a good sight, I prefer the HHA optimizer with the 0.10 pin and reostat.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I really bought it so I can hunt for bow season. This is my first year to really hunt, and want the option to hunt all season with the bow. After shooting last night, I think i'd have more fun climbing up a tree with climbing stand than sit in the box stands with rifles like everyone else in the club. I didn't plan on spending any money on it, and would have just bought a new one had I known it needed a new string. I only have about $170 in it, so I guess another $75 on string won't kill me. I'm not sure what sight is on it, but it has 4 or 5 different pins for different distances. Hopefully all I will need to huy now is arrows...don't know where to start there. It came with 6 or 7 arrows with field tips.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom