What do ya'll think of this rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I've been thinking of getting a tactical .308 and came across this;

17993057.jpg

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_vtr.asp

It seems to be just what I want. Any comments good or bad?

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    cont.

To fund this new rifle, I may consider selling a few of my other toys,

A Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 Auto - Very good to excellent condition

A Glock 22 with 5 mags, Fobus holster and Jay-Pee leather holster - all very good to excellent cond.

A Knight black-powder .50 cal rifle w/assorted accessories.

Maybe more, I'll have to think about it.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Some of the features make me thing that it was made to be aesthetically intimidating/pleasing so they could charge a couple hundred extra.

The basic Remington 700 has been good enough for snipers in every field for the last however many years, I think they are good enough for anyone. I'd buy the cheapest Rem 700 I could find, even used, and do aftermarket mods on it.

I have a Rem 700 .243 and I put a Choate Super Sniper stock on it...its great IMO! $175ish. Haven't looked into a better barrel yet, I just don't shoot it enough to justify it.

Then again, you might like the aesthetics of it(I do), and after your own mods it will probably cost about the same as the rifle. So...its your cash bro, its going to be a good rifle. :)
    Pics are pre-scoped...now its got some big-ol crappy Russian sniper glass. :-P
    CIMG0008.jpg

sniperstock.jpg

I'm a big fan of those kinds of stock though...pistol grip = superior control IMO.

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    Are you definately set on a Remington?

How much are you looking to be in to it?

What are you plans with this rifle?

What have you head good about the accuracy of this rifle with that barrel config?

Are you planning on buying a new stock?

I looked at the Remmy SPS tactical a few months back but decided to go with Savage 10FP 24" 308. I got the cheap stock because I was getting a new one anyway ( but if you are planning on this then you might want to look at there Model 12 series). I purchased a Stockade Tactical stock.

Rifle = $540
    Stock = $440
    Rings = $80
    Base = $85
    Scope = $345
    Bipod = $105

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I went with the 12FV as I knew I would be changing out the stock.
    Rifle- $430
    Stock-$375 McM A3
    Rings&Base-$215
    Scope-$530
    Bipod-$100
    Total- $1600ish plus shipping and FFL fee

sellme-2.jpg

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    +1 on the savage 10FP. You can actually get the gun from wal-mart for 534.00 + tax. I added a Bell and carlson medalist stock to mine for a little over $200.00. Shoots great groups. The Remington has a 22" Barrel with a 1/12 inch twist. The savage has 24 with 1/10. IF you are going to be shooting for distance you may want to take in account.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'd also be worried about the triangle shaped barrel. Might be the greatest thing ever. Might be a gimmick. Might be a POS.

Leupold will need to change the VX-L series up a bit to include the triangular profile.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Many of the custom rifle builders start with a remington 700 action. They know they can get all the accuracy you could ask for out of it. On the other hand it has to be blueprinted, re-triggered, etc. to get to that point. However, the Savage seems to have very good accuracy out the box.

coltaholic

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Tampa Bay, florida
    I have a Savage Tactical in .308 and 223 they outshoot anything here at the range in the tampa bay area, with good ammo, the 223 is 1/4 in, the 308 a tad bigger. The accu-trigger is the best in the industry.
    ( the local police depts and sheriffs shoot here with their rem 700 tacticals, and they csn't come close)-- mine is dead stock, cost me 489, plus 47 for mount and rings, and a weaver 4-16 classic scope( 289)=======
    ==http://www.swfa.com/pc-2331-256-weaver-4-16x42-classic-v16-series-rifle-scope.aspx

Top Bottom