what do you guard your property with?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Our generac is bolted down and anchored. Had to be lifted into place via crane.

No one is going to try and take it.

I've got a GE whole home gen and although it is heavy, it isn't bolted down to the slab I had poured for it. I did locate it around the backside of my house so it could not be seen from the road but I'm sure it could be heard from there. Now if someone were to decide to take it during a wide scale outage, I'm afraid I'd have to go outside and discourage them. I would not do that unarmed.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Our generac is bolted down and anchored. Had to be lifted into place via crane.

No one is going to try and take it.

I've got a GE whole home gen and although it is heavy, it isn't bolted down to the slab I had poured for it. I did locate it around the backside of my house so it could not be seen from the road but I'm sure it could be heard from there. Now if someone were to decide to take it during a wide scale outage, I'm afraid I'd have to go outside and discourage them. I would not do that unarmed.

The ultimate consumer went with this baby! If you can get through my fence and in my back yard unnoticed and with a flatbed and a crane; you can have it! I can buy another! ;)

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    i would say a small .22 shorts, that way you can say you was not trying to kill anyone just scar them away. But I don’t what you are going to say when they ask why you shot them 9 times in the head.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    My generator runs silent and is nailed down pretty tight... I had to design and build this one myself because there's not many solar outfits doing battery backed systems. The 16 - 8D batteries would probably be the target of the theives, most everything else is lag bolted down.

Picture 004s.jpg

Picture 003s.jpg

I shoot better than I twist wires, and I practice the Triple S, (Shoot Shovel and Shut-up) In the time it would take them to get a couple of lag bolts out, they'd be in a shallow unmarked grave. Who's gonna miss a scumbag theif anyway?

This and a little NVG gear provides the protection... I will admit over-penetration could be an issue.

socom_aps.jpg

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Anyone who was in New Orleans post K will naturally laugh at the suggestion to dial 911. Dial on what? A soup can with a string, cause the phone lines don't work and neither does your cell. Do cops still monitor Channel 9 on the CBs, I wonder?

I use a portable gen set that is chained to a concrete footing to my shop. You really aren't getting it easily, or quietly. I think I'll notice if it stops. I will confront anyone in my fenced yard, armed. At night, almost anything could be mistaken for a weapon. I suggest another activity for any who enjoy their health.

If you try to take my gasoline, you will get it. All of it. Essayons.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Anyone who was in New Orleans post K will naturally laugh at the suggestion to dial 911. Dial on what? A soup can with a string, cause the phone lines don't work and neither does your cell. Do cops still monitor Channel 9 on the CBs, I wonder?

I use a portable gen set that is chained to a concrete footing to my shop. You really aren't getting it easily, or quietly. I think I'll notice if it stops. I will confront anyone in my fenced yard, armed. At night, almost anything could be mistaken for a weapon. I suggest another activity for any who enjoy their health.

If you try to take my gasoline, you will get it. All of it. Essayons.

And anyone that had been through two dozen other named storms will say that their cellular service was slow, but was never disrupted.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Trust me, Houma cellular service was completely out for Katarina and for day's, You have no cellular when the dish hits the ground. It has happened and will happen again.

No doubt. I said for 2 dozen other named storms it was never even interrupted... so what's the confusion. Katrina was an extreme circumstance, a far cry from the usual that we get much more frequently.

- - - Updated - - -

WRONG - We had no service!
    We could text, can you text 911???

yes, in fact you can. You can actually call/text 911 even on a phone that doesn't have a service plan. (The texting isn't true in all areas yet, but is proposed to be required by FCC by the end of the year to be nationwide.)

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sister lost her's for days when Rita hit the west side of the state, She had to find a working land line to call me for a ''Fema'' run, I'm interested in the 2 dozen named storms that was able to maintain service...uninterrupted ?

No doubt. I said for 2 dozen other named storms it was never even interrupted... so what's the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, in fact you can. You can actually call/text 911 even on a phone that doesn't have a service plan.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Cell service seems to get temporarily KO'd in BR every time a storm threatens and people pour in....Guess the towers can't handle all the calls. :doh:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Sister lost her's for days when Rita hit the west side of the state, She had to find a working land line to call me for a ''Fema'' run, I'm interested in the 2 dozen named storms that was able to maintain service...uninterrupted ?

pretty much every storm for the past decade not named Rita, Katrina, or Lily.

This whole tangent largely irrelevant anyway, during a declared state of emergency I hate to tell you this, but someone stealing your generator is not "an emergency".

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    LOL that was pretty good....anyone know where that one originated? Seems like I heard that was during Rita? Could be wrong, though....:dogkeke:

Top Bottom