What do you think about Hi-Point 955

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Yes I know they are cheap ass hell. But does anyone own one. I might have a leed on one pretty cheap. It would be my other shits n giggles gun. If you own/owned one or shot one let me know what you think about it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've got a Marlin camp9 that I love for some stupid reason. Its not much different than a hi-point. You can't hunt with it (rabbit maybe). Its no good over 100 yards. Accuracy is 3" at 50 yards with cheap winammo. It would be OK for home defense if that was all I had (12 ga or .45 is a better choice for me). But its fun to shoot and plink with. If that's all you're going to do with it, have fun.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I have asked the same question about these carbines in other forums. I have gotten comments about them being cheaply made, rough edges, and being ugly as hell. I agree with all of the above. However, nobody has told me that these things are unreliable. Someone told me that if you don't keep it clean, it has a potential to jam up, but then said that most ARs are more finicky than the hi-point.

So if it is a reliable carbine, then it should be just as good as the Berretta Storm, Marlin or Ruger Carbine right? I hear they are a hoot to shoot.

I have been looking for the right deal on one. Then I'll throw an ATI stock on it and maybe make it a truck rifle.

3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    They are ugly as sin, but reliable and accurate carbines. I bought one of unknown vintage last year for $55. While tearing it down to clean it I realized that one of the previous owners had left it stored cocked for a LONG time. The fp spring was permanently compressed to about 2/3 it's normal length. That said, it had fired 200 rounds without failure before I took it apart. It is currently on loan to my father as a varmint getter, mainly because it is the only 9mm I own, and I didn't like having to keep buying ammo for it. He has mounted a scope on it, and is very good with it out to 100 yds. I called Hi-point about the fp spring, at which time I was informed that if you can read a serial number off it, they will repair it or send you parts for free regardless of what's wrong. they don't care if you are the 50th owner. I told them I needed the scope mount since I didn't get one with it used. They wouldn't even let me pay for that part. I also have a Hi-point .40 S&W pistol, and it's a tack driver out to 25 yds. They are clunky feeling, ugly, and heavy, but they are reliable accurate weapons. Here is ugly in it's definition. I've had this to 2 different social shoots, it was fired more than anything else I brought, and was handed back to me with compliments on it's performance by every shooter.

homedefense1.jpg

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    It's cheap as hell, but does what it needs to do. I had one and bought the ATI stock for it and it looked like a Beretta Storm. I must have shot 1000 rounds out of it before cleaning. The only time I ever had a FTF was when the magazine was inserted wrong (they are very cheaply made and the mag wouldn't fit perfect). That, and it only holds 10 rounds...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    It's cheap as hell, but does what it needs to do. I had one and bought the ATI stock for it and it looked like a Beretta Storm. I must have shot 1000 rounds out of it before cleaning. The only time I ever had a FTF was when the magazine was inserted wrong (they are very cheaply made and the mag wouldn't fit perfect). That, and it only holds 10 rounds...

i was waiting on you to respond :o

Cybrludite

B.O.W. Crew #3.14159
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Metairie
    I can just add what everyone else has said. Cheap & ugly, but functional. (Joke about forum members' girlfriends goes here) A buddy had left a couple of boxes of .40 S&W at my place after a shoot last year as he was going to be working overseas for the next six months, and I considered getting one of their carbines to use the stuff up.

I'd pass on their pistols, though. Half a step up from a Raven or Jennings.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I have a hi-point and plan to get a few more at the coming gun show. I have shot at least 1,000 rounds out of it with no failure, and I have never taken it apart to clean. sure it might weigh a little bit more, but it's accurate and reliable.

it's a gun that does what i need it to do, when I need it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom