what does your permit allow you to carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Had an instructor bring up question 6 on page 4 of the application that asks:
    "Have you completed training as prescribed in LRS 40:1379.3(D)(1) and LAC 55:I.1311.A? (Attach Proof)
    You MUST indicate the type of Handgun you received training with: Pistol Revolver Both"

He told the class that if you are involved in a shooting and you completed the training using a revolver and you used a semi-automatic (or vice versa) in the shooting, that you could possibly be charged with illegal use of a weapon. Seemed kind of fishy to me. I can't find any thing in the laws (RS 40:1379.3) addressing this. Nowhere could I find that it states your CHP limits you to one or the other if you only completed training with one and not both.

The definition of "handgun" in the law:

J. For the purposes of this Section, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed herein:
    (1) "Crime of violence" means a crime as defined in R.S. 14:2(B).
    (2) "Criminal negligence" means there exists such disregard of the interest of others that the license holder's conduct amounts to a gross deviation below the standard of care expected to be maintained by a reasonably careful man under like circumstances.
    (3) "Handgun" means a type of firearm commonly referred to as a pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition. The term "handgun" shall not include shotguns or rifles that have been altered by having their stocks or barrels cut or shortened.

Seems to me that since I was issued a Concealed Handgun Permit that I am allowed to carry and conceal a handgun as defined in the law.

Am I missing something???

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Lemme guess, he also said his claim to fame is "I am the lowest LSP Instructor number in the state" and that he is former Law Enforcement (Then you find out he was a reserve cop for a few years in the 80's)....Hes my favorite source of incorrect info from CCW Instructors.

If you are involved in a shooting its either going to be justified or not. Could be a black powder musket, machine gun, single shot .22 or whatever.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Looking at the online application now and it says:

"6. Have you completed training as prescribed in LRS 40:1379.3 (D) (1) and LAC 551:1307.D? (Attach Training Completion Certificate)"

No mention of whether it was a pistol or revolver.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Lemme guess, he also said his claim to fame is "I am the lowest LSP Instructor number in the state" and that he is former Law Enforcement (Then you find out he was a reserve cop for a few years in the 80's)....Hes my favorite source of incorrect info from CCW Instructors.

If you are involved in a shooting its either going to be justified or not. Could be a black powder musket, machine gun, single shot .22 or whatever.
    No he didn't say he was the lowest instructor number, but he went on for about 10 minutes before going inside the range about what training licenses he has, who he was a bodyguard for ("I could show you pictures!"), his experience as a bouncer... etc. Then once we made it into the class there was another 15 minutes or so of the same thing. Very interesting! (that was sarcasm).

Then I had to listen to how he would handle a situation where someone had a gun pointed at a gas station clerk when he walked through the door. He was surprised and almost argumentative when I told him I would walk my ass back out and avoid the situation all together. I'm not a hero and my only job is to return home alive to my family. He went on about how he would protect the clerk and how it would be justifiable since he would be using deadly force to protect the life of another.

So then I hit him with this... So you would shoot someone who was pointing a gun at a clerk in a gas station, huh? How would you feel once the cops show up and you find out that the person pointing the gun at the clerk was actually the clerk who wrestled the gun from the bad guy who had made his way behind the counter? He gave me a **** eating grin and then asked who needed a break.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    This is exactly why I took the online class at Bearco. No BS and storytelling, just learning.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

I took a CHP refresher class from him years ago. I corrected him in class about a law he was wrong on. He also double stamped the date of the class. I didn't notice it and LSP sent it back to me and I had to go meet him to get a new one.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I took a CHP refresher class from him years ago. I corrected him in class about a law he was wrong on. He also double stamped the date of the class. I didn't notice it and LSP sent it back to me and I had to go meet him to get a new one.
    I went with a female friend to one of his classes and I was keeping little tick marks on a piece of paper every time he muzzle swept himself or the class with a weapon. When he put his finger in the barrel of the revolver (with an open cylinder) to hold it up sidewards to demo the gun, I had enough and had to go take a walk outside.

His classes are referred to a "permit mills." With 35 people per class and only a few minutes on the range (36 rounds only) how much can actually be taught. He is making the max money with the least amount of effort.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Now I am pissed.
    Just got off the phone with the state. No need to have the affidavits notarized and uploaded if you are completing the online application for renewal. Can't speak as to a new application.
    The morons at the Shooters Club told me I needed to have them notarized and upload them and gladly took my $30 to notarize the three pieces of paper that I didn't need notarized. Screw the Shooters Club. I will never go there again and will let everyone I know about my experience there.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    He told the class that if you are involved in a shooting and you completed the training using a revolver and you used a semi-automatic (or vice versa) in the shooting, that you could possibly be charged with illegal use of a weapon. Seemed kind of fishy to me. I can't find any thing in the laws (RS 40:1379.3) addressing this. Nowhere could I find that it states your CHP limits you to one or the other if you only completed training with one and not both.

Illegal use of a forearm (14:94 - http://legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=78738) covers the use of firearms. If you are legally justified in using a firearm, then you are legally justified. That law is not dependent on type, i.e., revolver, semi-auto pistol, rifle, etc. You can legally use an illegally carried firearm. The law for use (14:94) and the law for carry (14:95) are independent of each other.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If this is the same guy that I think it is , my son used him for his class . He had nothing good to say about him . Completely full of himself and constantly muzzle sweeping everybody .

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Well, I looked up the list of instructors to see who had the lowest number. Yep, I had guessed that it was him. Took my first class with him, and it was mostly war stories. Some of the participants had targets that looked like they were using a shotgun, but everyone passed.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    It is a shame there are people like that. Did my application online (renewal). State said application accepted. Still waiting on the permit. Brings up a question though. my permit is now expired and I am waiting on my new permit. Where do I stand legally as far as carrying?

Rodog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 29, 2022
    Metairie
    If this is the same guy that I think it is , my son used him for his class . He had nothing good to say about him . Completely full of himself and constantly muzzle sweeping everybody .
    Yikes

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    It is a shame there are people like that. Did my application online (renewal). State said application accepted. Still waiting on the permit. Brings up a question though. my permit is now expired and I am waiting on my new permit. Where do I stand legally as far as carrying?
    Go to D. Renewal of Permits:
    Read #1 and #2a.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Alright, so who is this instructor? I wonder if it's the same guy who left his loaded pistol in the bathroom at a local range...again...

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Alright, so who is this instructor? I wonder if it's the same guy who left his loaded pistol in the bathroom at a local range...again...

I’m guessing A guy with last name Hutchinson. At least that’s the lowest number I saw on the list but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Well, I looked up the list of instructors to see who had the lowest number. Yep, I had guessed that it was him. Took my first class with him, and it was mostly war stories. Some of the participants had targets that looked like they were using a shotgun, but everyone passed.
    I don't know if he has the lowest number or not, but he won't
    I’m guessing A guy with last name Hutchinson. At least that’s the lowest number I saw on the list but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Not the guy I am talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom