What If...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    If Florida had wind mills and solar panels, and if everyone had a EV to drive, then what would they do?

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Be failing miserably as a state like California… it’s been proven over time the cost of maintenance and repair for windmills is not feasible.. and with solar panels and electric cars you need lithium batteries which is 10 times more harmful to the environment to mine, impose more of a hazardous waste, and expensive to replace… not to mention every time a hurricane comes they had to rebuild it all lol

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    But if your solar panels survived the hurricane you are probably living high on the hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    But if your solar panels survived the hurricane you are probably living high on the hog.

or if you have a petro powered generator your still high on the hog lol... majority of the people who have solar panels dont have the battery setups because it so expensive... wouldnt help them out to much untill they get high sun and still wont power a/c units or hotwater heaters, lol and wont work at night lol

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Just imagine how much energy could be stored with cat 4 winds! Hehe

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I’d like to know if there were any wind turbines in the path of Ian. Did they survive & what was the wind rating? After watching videos of wind turbines go out of control in 50 mph winds & destroying themselves what happened to them at 140 mph? It would be good to know before billions are spent to put them up in the Gulf.
    The solar panels are about a half mile down the road imbedded into someone’s trailer. Maybe they can charge their cellphone.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A wind turbine should not " run away " if it is operating correctly . The blades can be feathered to stop the rotation . I have no idea if the brake can be set remotely on the shaft .

Last edited:

Kee

Aware
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I did think of the people who had EV's trying to evacuate. Where to charge along the way, could they get far enough?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I did think of the people who had EV's trying to evacuate. Where to charge along the way, could they get far enough?
    Or get back home. Florida Power and Light reported 2 million without power after Ian, three days ago. No grid power, no re-charging EV period. I'm sticking to my ICE til they ban it, or gasoline is $11 a gallon in Louisiana.

If your EV stops on the freeway, out of power, can you catch a ride or walk and get a jug of energy? A five gallon can of electricity? Do you call AAA and ask for a jump? LOL

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Go get a bucket of Kilowatts. That was one of the first jokes I learned at work. A hybrid would work so much better.
    The windmills should feather/ break the blades but in real life do they survive? In real life I have seen 3 large I beans bent backwards by Hurricanes. If the wind can do that to an I beam what can it do to an inverted pendulum with giant blades attached?
    The fuel for me...
    CC591151-3469-4533-8501-1215C680F372.jpeg

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Or get back home. Florida Power and Light reported 2 million without power after Ian, three days ago. No grid power, no re-charging EV period. I'm sticking to my ICE til they ban it, or gasoline is $11 a gallon in Louisiana.

If your EV stops on the freeway, out of power, can you catch a ride or walk and get a jug of energy? A five gallon can of electricity? Do you call AAA and ask for a jump? LOL
    Gas pumps also run on electricity....Just sayin. :)

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Gas pumps also run on electricity....Just sayin. :)
    you can run gasoline or diesel pumps/station on a generator. Fill that generator tank with the gasoline or diesel from the station. Happened after Ida, local grid down. I can easily carry 3 gallons of gas to my car (60+ miles of range). Can you do that with your Tesla if its dead on the side of the road?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    What does one do if your EV runs out of juice on the road? Call a sliding bed tow truck and get towed to a Supercharger?
    That will be a nice way to blow $200 +. And be late for work or an appointment.

How will the millions of people in the US who live in apartment buildings charge their EV? Like NYC or Boston, or NJ where many park on the street. Add a stop in the morning for 20 to 45 minutes to re-charge? Sounds like fun.

How will California who was threatening rolling blackouts from the high temps/summer heat/AC usage have people charging their EV when at home? Gov Newsome even told them 5 weeks ago "Do not charge your car between 1600 and 2100". Imagine if just 20% of Cali drivers owned EVs and relied upon them for daily transportation instead of ICE, today.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I think after Katrina Louisiana passed a regulation that service stations of a certain size have to have a generator to run the pumps in emergencies when electricity is lost.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    you can run gasoline or diesel pumps/station on a generator. Fill that generator tank with the gasoline or diesel from the station. Happened after Ida, local grid down. I can easily carry 3 gallons of gas to my car (60+ miles of range). Can you do that with your Tesla if its dead on the side of the road?
    You are totally right. I also know exactly zero gas stations with back up power, or a transfer switch for external power thats isolated to run Gilbarco computers, and pumps only. Ideas and practical use are two diff things.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I think after Katrina Louisiana passed a regulation that service stations of a certain size have to have a generator to run the pumps in emergencies when electricity is lost.
    Can you cite any ? I havent ever seen a station with a diesel generator in the back.

Top Bottom