What should I do with this FAL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which should I do?

• Disasemble it and sell it as parts and the Stripped receiver

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Sell it as is

Votes: 5 83.3%
    • Rebuild it and sell the gun on another receiver and the Hess by itself

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I have a FAL I've had for many years.

It's a G1 Kit with the Bayonet lug milled off (When I got it it the ban was on)
    -This can be fixed, and I have a couple flash hiders around somewhere.

It shoots just fine.

Thing is:

It has a HESS receiver.

I have another G1 in the works, so I think I'll let this one go.

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Nomad, I voted to sell as is. You know the rifle runs with the Hesse reciver. Once it is removed from the rifle, it will be hard to prove that it is more than a paper weight.
    With the influx of G1 parts kits from Apex right now selling for $250 (without barrel) the price of the G1's have been driven down somewhat for the kits.
    Does your G1 have any matching numbers? I am assuming it is a type "C" wood stock or if it is a later serial number it could be a "B"??? What is the serial number range on the lower? How does it look? As you know this all plays a major roll on what your rifle would bring......

Just as a note, the lug that was removed was not a Bayonet lug but the Flash Hider attaching lug. (G1's never had a Bayonet option on their rifles) When the AWB came along some with G1's just removed the lug and some just filed down the angle on either side of the lug so the Flash Hider could not be attached.
    If someone would buy this as a complete rifle, they have a few options, have a new lug attached. (I have a buddy that does this for around $40) but the barrel must be removed from the receiver (He is a NON FFL Holder) OR the FH could be permentaly attached via siver solder. OR have the barrel threaded and install a Browning or other style FH and of course the option of just leaving off the FH!

Your option of rebuilding on another receiver would be an option, BUT you would be actually cutting into your profit margin by taking this route.....

Now, that's my .02 worth!

Pics would be great as well!!

KT

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Of the three choices, I voted to sell it as is....but I'd keep it if it were me!!:)

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Is a G1 kit without a barrel really that bad? I recall seeing some horrific looking barrels back in the day due to the fact that they were not chrome lined and had corrosive ammunition shot through them.

On the flip side, I still like my Century built rifle on an Imbel receiver:
    IMG_1915.jpg

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Is a G1 kit without a barrel really that bad?

NO not bad at all and actually some pretty nice kits. At least the first couple 10/20K were!
    I rooted through about 15 or 20 while at knob creek, while they were NOT the best, with some dented HG's and less than perfect wood, BUT nevertheless still worth every bit $250, combine this kit with a $125-$200 Steyr StG barrel $350 DSA/Coonan receiver and ya have a pretty nice buget rifle!!

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I voted to rebuild it, I think you would be lucky to get 650.00 for a Hesse rec'vd FAL, but if you rebuilt and maybe refinished it on a new Coonan you are probably closer to a 1,000.00. The Hesse would sell pretty quick for 200.00-250.00. I think there's more money in the rebuild and sell game plan, all that said, I agree with oleheat, I'd just keep it...........

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    If keeping it would have been an option, I would agree 100%. In fact I would order and build on the Coonan Type I-C receiver with the GEW G1 markings, if it is a numbers matching kit, custom order the matching serial number if it is not numbers matching save a few $$ and get standard issue serial number, stress/wear the new receiver and keep it just as it is! Will make fine rifle and shooter!!

KT

Last edited:
    Top Bottom