/What to do, what to do

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I finally have a chance to go hunting as I am off school for Thanksgiving. I will be in Slidell Wednesday night through Thursday afternoon. I have a few squirrel with the new .22lr, but I want something bigger. I have a 270 that I picked up in a trade but I havent sighted in the scope myself. I have a bow that I haven't been practicing with, and a 12Ga. I picked up a new self climbing tree stand that I really wanted to exploit in Pearl River WMA. So, .22lr for a sure thing squirrel hunt, maybe with bow for the chance of deer sighting? Or try my luck with the 270 with bigger game like hog or deer? I haven't seen any hogs the few times I have been walking around but then again I have never hunted in a stand. How long would it take for me to get up in a tree in the dark? I have my GPS and red light headlamp from military use. Pops wasn't around growing up so I never learned from him and I had to self learn from daddy google.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Ok there is a Lot going on here.
    I'm trying to help so please take no offense.

As I understand you are trying to get into hunting on your own with little to no prior experience?
    How old are you?
    Have you taken hunters ed and a bow class?

You have a rifle that isn't sighted in
    No go
    You have a bow you haven't practiced with
    No go
    You have a new climbing stand you are gonna climb in the dark for what I am going to assume may be the first time
    No go

I am not trying to discourage you but I feel you are ill prepared.
    Get to know all your gear inside and out, backwards and forwards.
    Shoot your weapons and become proficient with them.
    Climb a tree several times in the day taking your stand off and on every time.
    Use a safety harness Every time.
    Try to become familiar with the area you want to hunt before you actually go hunting there.

Then enjoy the outdoors and happy/safe hunting.

Last edited:

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    Ok I might have made exaggerated a bit. I am 24, this is my second year hunting. I haven't gone to the bow class and I was able to skip hunter's ed because I am military. The 270 is new to me and I didn't have time to practice a bunch with the bow, only about three times. I think I will just bring my shotgun with buckshot and something for squirrel if I don't see anything big. I have the licensing and tags. No offense taken, I should have been more clear.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom