When Registering my lower?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    Going to pick up my two AR lowers tomorrow and was woundering what i should put on the paper work incase i want to build a pistol out of one.I know one will be a rifle but i would like the option to make the other a pistol just incase.

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    how does this work if you want to build a pistol out of it? Is there not a difference anymore?

The lower must have never been made into a rifle. I bought 3 EA lowers and had them shipped to LA gun and Reloading Larry told me they are only marked one way on the form now. My receipt from EA says "lowers never assembled as a firearm".

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    dumb question... but why would you register it in the first place? (form 4473 is NOT registration, unless of course your tinfoil hat is a little tight)

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    From what I've found the lower must come from the manufacturer as a dedicated pistol receiver. I have dealer accounts with RRA and that's how they do it, but you will wait on those parts. I think receiving am assembled lower is faster than a stripped lower at this time...

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    From what I've found the lower must come from the manufacturer as a dedicated pistol receiver. I have dealer accounts with RRA and that's how they do it, but you will wait on those parts. I think receiving am assembled lower is faster than a stripped lower at this time...

That may be a good idea to protect from Barney but not necessary.

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    Q: Those cost too much/they're not exactly what I want/I'd rather build my own:
    A: Then you need a virgin receiver.

Q: What's a virgin receiver?
    A: A virgin receiver is one that has never been deflowered, of course :) Ie, it has never been built into a rifle. It was shipped to your FFL as a stripped receiver, and transferred to you on the yellow form as a pistol or stripped receiver.

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    ATFEARPistolInternetletter.jpg

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    "With respect to buffer tubes, the use of either buffer tube you describe is permissable. However, possessing a rifle buttstock that could readily be installed on your pistol could constitute possession of a short-barreled rifle."

I don't know about you, but my rifle comes with a buttstock, and I could uninstall it and reinstall it onto a pistol lower in under 2 minutes. That's pretty fawking readily installed. Ergo, if you own both a rifle and a pistol you could be considered in possession of an SBR. If it can't be interpreted that strictly then if you disassemble your rifle in the presence of your pistol, or if you purchase a spare/ new buttstock and keep your old stock lying around, you could then be considered in possession

Our government is ****ing rediculious

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    From my reading as long as you have a tube that can't easily accept a stock you are o.k. A spare stock would not fit the pictured buffer tube and is the way I would go to avoid the issue hopefully.

Something like this:
    pistolbuffer%20(Small)_LRG.png

Top Bottom