When SHTF, what will be your rifle of choice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    dream on, dude. do you REALLY think that the best troops (and competitors) in the world would keep using the AR if it malfunctioned even 10% as much as you "think" it does? Sometime, go to Knob Creek, KY's twice a year machine gun shoot, and watch the guys dump m16's. in puddles, dust, etc and then run 1000's of rds thru them, full auto. The AR beats a pos that takes an extra full second just to disengage the safety, like the AK does. The AR in 223 wins nearly all of the 600 yd matches, too, and has done so for over 15 years now. It always did win the 200 and 300 yd stages, going back almost 40 years. :-) It also beats a lot of 308's at 1000 yd matches, given a 1 in 6.5" rifling twist and 90 gr VLD match bullets.

I truly do hope that all my enemies are so silly as to have nothing more than a noisy bolt action, with a scope, no see-thru mount, and no luminous iron sights. and not a suppressed autoloader.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    dream on, dude. do you REALLY think that the best troops (and competitors) in the world would keep using the AR if it malfunctioned even 10% as much as you "think" it does? Sometime, go to Knob Creek, KY's twice a year machine gun shoot, and watch the guys dump m16's. in puddles, dust, etc and then run 1000's of rds thru them, full auto. The AR beats a pos that takes an extra full second just to disengage the safety, like the AK does. The AR in 223 wins nearly all of the 600 yd matches, too, and has done so for over 15 years now. It always did win the 200 and 300 yd stages, going back almost 40 years. :-) It also beats a lot of 308's at 1000 yd matches, given a 1 in 6.5" rifling twist and 90 gr VLD match bullets.

I truly do hope that all my enemies are so silly as to have nothing more than a noisy bolt action, with a scope, no see-thru mount, and no luminous iron sights. and not a suppressed autoloader.

/\ this.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Here's one of my SHTF options...

4ubyryda.jpg

15 rounds of rifled slugs. Dead-on balls accurate.

Plenty of mods though.

Last edited:

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    you can't suppress it worth a hoot, and 12 ga shells are 10 to the lb. I"ll take the AR, with suppressor, 22lr conversion unit, 60 gr Nosler Partition deep-penetrating softpoints, and 60 gr Aquila subsonic 22 ammo, the ones put up in .22 Short cases.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would go with an ak 74, either saiga conversion or a Bulgarian build. Good sling, some sort of mag carrier (still need to figure that out), and a small cleaning kit with pull thru and oil/lube bottle.

I prefer the handling and shooting feel of the 74 over an ar, but I am familiar with both platforms so either would be fine. If an ar I would want a lightweight 14.5 barrel build. Not really worried about the reliability of the ak, and the ar will likely not get dirty enough to matter.

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    M&P 15 with an EOTech. The AR guys are right. Don't fix what ain't broke. The only malfunctions I've had with ARs have been running blanks or literally having clumps of mud and dirt in the upper receiver. I honestly don't understand what folks see in the AK. It's like living in the stone age. I like the 7.62x39 caliber and thats about it.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I have enough AKs for the family. I have enough ARs for the family. Guess it depend what "S" hits which fan. I'll decide then.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    for home and yard, bunch of shotguns and buckshot. on foot .22lr for sure. i can't discuss what we have planned at the road block, its gonna be nasty for looters/bandits.

Top Bottom