When you hear an exchange of gunfire in the night?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I know everyone lives in a different type of neighborhood, but I was wondering what do you do / what would you do if you wake up to the sound of an exchange of gunfire in the middle of the night? I ask because while I do live in a fairly quiet small town, this did happen to me last winter, one night in the early morning hours I woke to the sound of about a dozen shots being exchanged (2 distinct firearms, one sounded like maybe a .45 the other a smaller caliber, maybe a .32, certainly bigger than a .22) in several spurts over a course of 30-45 seconds, I don't know how far away they were, probably a couple of blocks or so, I know they were not just outside my house, and also not in the distance either, close enough to be distinct, but not overly loud.

For me step one was to make sure I had a loaded gun in hand, and my house was secure, step 2 would have been call the police, but by this time I heard police sirens approaching the area. Nothing was reported in the local news (but that is normal, all they are good for is publishing local events calendars, never any news). One thing is certain, I was glad at the time that my house is over 100 years old and the walls are solid lapboard made from hard virgin pine timber, no hollow drywall here.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I know everyone lives in a different type of neighborhood, but I was wondering what do you do / what would you do if you wake up to the sound of an exchange of gunfire in the middle of the night? I ask because while I do live in a fairly quiet small town, this did happen to me last winter, one night in the early morning hours I woke to the sound of about a dozen shots being exchanged (2 distinct firearms, one sounded like maybe a .45 the other a smaller caliber, maybe a .32, certainly bigger than a .22) in several spurts over a course of 30-45 seconds, I don't know how far away they were, probably a couple of blocks or so, I know they were not just outside my house, and also not in the distance either, close enough to be distinct, but not overly loud.

For me step one was to make sure I had a loaded gun in hand, and my house was secure, step 2 would have been call the police, but by this time I heard police sirens approaching the area. Nothing was reported in the local news (but that is normal, all they are good for is publishing local events calendars, never any news). One thing is certain, I was glad at the time that my house is over 100 years old and the walls are solid lapboard made from hard virgin pine timber, no hollow drywall here.

I do what any citizen should do. I call the police. They are there to protect me and will make sure nothing bad happens.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I was leaving my girlfriends apartment and heard shots ring out. I called the cops and they responded pretty quick. Never heard anything in the news about it.

I didn't have my gun that night (literately the only time) so I got my girlfriend and took her to my place.

One thing was I had no idea how close the shots actually were, had I known I would have stayed put.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Here in Monroe, I'd immediately call the police.

When I was in New Orleans... honestly I may have slept through it.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'd pick my favorte sounding one and start cheering for that guy and listen to who got the last shots... :D j/k Phone the police and wait. But honestly in Ball LA.....Someone probably just hooked up a new awesome suround sound on thier TV and it was way too loud or it was a truck and a car backfiring at same time.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Here in Sherwood Forrest, I would call, but if I was in some of the areas I have to go for work, if I didnt see anyone leaking, or I didnt have any glass shot out of the car, I wouldnt even bother...

Just them thinning the herd..

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    When I lived in the hood, the first year there was a lot of random gunfire. We have an e911 page and I would go check it, sure enough someone else had called within 1 or 2 minutes, if it was a lot of gunfire.

But the people that lived directly behind me, I swear these people would go out at least once a month, between midnight and 3am, and shoot just one bullet into the air/ground. Made no other noise, just the shot then quiet until daylight.

So glad I'm gone from over there.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    When I lived in the hood, the first year there was a lot of random gunfire. We have an e911 page and I would go check it, sure enough someone else had called within 1 or 2 minutes, if it was a lot of gunfire.

But the people that lived directly behind me, I swear these people would go out at least once a month, between midnight and 3am, and shoot just one bullet into the air/ground. Made no other noise, just the shot then quiet until daylight.

So glad I'm gone from over there.
    Probably just got done cleaning his hi point and making sure it still worked.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Probably my neighbor and his wife taking care of some feral hogs tearing up their pasture, Id grab a gun and a spotlight and wait for them to come through my place. I don't see how yall put up with city life, I rather deal with feral quadrupeds over feral bipeds.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom