Where has all the training gone?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    The training is there. They post on here. (Meplat,Bearco, etc..) I'll be at Nicks this Saturday morning shooting. You can't shoot/move or draw from the hip there or anything, but there are usually several people there when they open at 0900.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    Advantage is coming back under a former student that Nate endorsed (based on a email they sent out to former students), Vata is hit or miss more into the jiu jitsu, but always an option for private training with a group, Phobos is still active they use MCTA range currently. Orion is a new group coming up. they do a few at FRC's shoot house and travel a lot. Think they are looking for a warehouse type somewhere in BR to setup but not certain. a few options still out there.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My Bad just realized this was an older post.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    What happened to Advantage Group? Did they just fizzle out? Nate was running it back then. I took a couple classes with them many moons ago.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    What happened to Advantage Group? Did they just fizzle out? Nate was running it back then. I took a couple classes with them many moons ago.
    I also took a couple classes with Nate and I find he was very good at explaining himself. I really liked his Med class.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    If I heard right, Nate went into the medical field and passed on Advantage group. They are currently doing classes. A new option is Range Ready in Robert, La. They are the guys who do Gun Talk and First Person Defender. They are hosting classes with Chris Cerino (from top shot) as the instructor. I toured their facility and it's top notch.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    If I heard right, Nate went into the medical field and passed on Advantage group. They are currently doing classes. A new option is Range Ready in Robert, La. They are the guys who do Gun Talk and First Person Defender. They are hosting classes with Chris Cerino (from top shot) as the instructor. I toured their facility and it's top notch.
    The training on Range Ready's site looks pretty good. Last week I drove to Arkansas to attend Pistol 2 training. It was good but that is a long way to drive. I took Pistol 2 a couple of years back with VATA. It would be nice to have an advanced class offered locally.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Advantage group is still going strong. My name is Dustin Ardoin. I’m the new owner/instructor that Nate passed it on to.
    Oh cool! I might take a class from y'all this fall once it cools off!

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Phobos Solutions is likely your best bet in this area. Lewis has an operational and training resume that is extremely hard to beat. I think he spent like 23 years on JPSO SWAT in almost every role imaginable. Worked for Triple Canopy, lots of Executive Protection work—-he’s not just some guy who spent a few years in patrol or went to an NRA school for a weekend and calls himself an instructor.

That said I’ve worked with a lot of guys over the years who were straight killers but couldn’t teach. Lewis can. When you really understand your subject matter it gives you the ability to break it down and format it differently for the audience you have in front of you at the moment. I’ve seen him train SF guys and LEO SWAT teams (which he still does regularly—-he did a class not long ago for a north shore PD SWAT team) and I’ve seen him train a six year old girl to shoot a .22 and help a woman in her 70s and her daughter learn to defend themselves effectively after they were victims of a home invasion.

I have taken more classes than I can count from Lewis and even his 101 level classes are incredible regardless of your skill or experience. I remember a couple of years ago myself, Kurt from Advanced Laser (a very skilled and highly experienced firearms instructor in his own right), and another friend who is a physician, Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman, and medic for the Kenner and LSP SWAT teams all took one of Lewis’ Defensive Handgun 101 classes right along side of people who were shooting for the first time. You can never get enough of the basics.

I think Lew does most of his training at Villere and MCTA. He does long range rifle training classes at my range Cut Off Range Complex on Mondays and Tuesdays when we are closed. We are working on building him a permanent training home there.

Anyway, I highly recommend him. The fact that he is one of my closest friends has has nothing to do with my recommendation because I have several friends that I wouldn’t recommend to anyone professionally simply because they suck at what they do. I have every option open to me and I train with Lewis and I send my family to train with him.

Just google Phobos Solutions and go to courses and then calendar to see what they have coming up. You can also schedule private classes.

Hope this helps.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    Advantage group is still going strong. My name is Dustin Ardoin. I’m the new owner/instructor that Nate passed it on to.
    So we have a name. How about who the person is? What type of guy would we be learning from? Former military? If so, any actual deployments with legit experience? Current/Former Law Enforcement? Etc...... I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything, but I've been looking into taking some classes myself, and prefer to learn from people with actual real world experiece, not someone who read a book and passed a test...

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    So we have a name. How about who the person is? What type of guy would we be learning from? Former military? If so, any actual deployments with legit experience? Current/Former Law Enforcement? Etc...... I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything, but I've been looking into taking some classes myself, and prefer to learn from people with actual real world experiece, not someone who read a book and passed a test...
    EXACTLY this....Everyone needs to vet their Instructor.

The modern YouTube warrior instructional method, or taking a class and barely earning a cert doesnt make an Instructor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom