Where to buy Wheat???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Definitely at Whole Foods(town center corporate and jefferson).
    I think I have seen at the vegitible stands like Southside (Perkins and Bluebonnetish) and Fresh Pickin's (Coursey and Sharp).
    There are a few international grocers that may carry it. I go to PITA BOY INTERNATIONAL GROCERY STORE right off of Sherwood near Old Hammond. Mr. Ishmael is very help full and you could call and see if they carry wheat.
    http://pitaboyintl.com/default.aspx
    225-274-0022

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Whole foods is not a bad place to get it, they give you %10 off when bought in bulk by the 25 lbs sack.

But if you are looking for over 100 lbs or more for storage then go some where else, I got on a bread making kick for a while and was buying it by the sack so the Whole foods setup worked well for me.

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    Make sure when you buy it is 100% wheat and not whole grain to different things.

There is whole wheat flour at wal-mart we tried it once, it was ok...something to get use to!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    We picked up a sack of the whole white wheat at whole foods, I had to shower the hippie off when I got home. It was my first ever trip there, and they were nice. They did not know how to ring the sack correctly so they just rang up 20lbs and took the 10% off so it was a decent price.

All most all breads we buy now are 100% whole wheat, about the only thing we buy that is white bread are hot dog buns.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    If your making bread with it you'll need Gluten.

Also try Sprouts.

the white makes OK bread but great sprouts,the red hard makes Great bread.

You have a grinder? or is this for some other purpose?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have got something that will work as a grinder, it is not ideal for grinding and only does about 1/2 cup at a time but it made flour for today.

I am thinking about getting the Ultramill for now, I will probably end up with one of the larger models you can crank by hand and use a motor on one day.

This is a wild hair type sunday project and the recipe I am using calls for White Wheat, I am sure I will end up more than one type as I would like to build up stores of food. We have already built up the Canned goods, and beefed up on items we use on a regular basis. We have been buying extra and buying when we have some in the pantry already but have not started the serious SHTF 15 years worth of food storage (not that I will go that far).

What I seriously need to do is find a source of Honey, it is Expensive in small containers. I got 3lbs of Bernards but I will probably hunt for a gallon pail or larger.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    5lbs of honey at sams for $13

Get the Nutrimill ,grinds very cool and quieter.... but all mills ARE F'ng LOUD!!!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lequip-LEquip-Nutrimill-Electric-Mill/dp/B000ZMI38O[/ame]

Make sure you ad gluten to a recipe that uses Whole wheat.

Dont bother using Honey as a sweetener for bread though, it is an Antiseptic/antifungi agent and the bread wont rise without Serious Experimentation with the batch you are using. a lot like lots of Gun powder but with more variation...

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    If you want GOOD honey, buy it raw from someone local. Most produce stands have it and also every Saturday at the farmers market in Denham Springs there is someone selling honey. The best eggs you will ever eat comes from there also. That honey in the regular stores is cooked down so the sugar will not crystallize. It messes up the honey. It is also mixed from countries all over the world. Get some raw honey and taste it, you will never buy that nasty crap in the store again. The raw stuff will start to crystallize in a few weeks to a month. Either buy what you can use in that time period or put it into a pot of warm water, not hot, and it will melt back into it. We have been buying the raw honey for about 4 years. We give it to our kids every day and it helps with allergies. I never liked honey until I tasted the raw stuff. Very good.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I got some local honey that was a "certified product of Louisiana" so atleast it did not come from Mexico, those bees could have been on drugs. I am sure the raw stuff is better, If it is a milky color then I have had it before and it was very good.

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Yeah, the raw stuff is a little cloudy. The local stuff is usually very homemade looking. They will usually have a honey looking bottle but with a simple looking label, maybe from an inkjet printer like you would make if you were doing it yourself. You will see a town that you recognize on the label. The stuff we buy is made nearby and sold at the Saturday farmers market. BTW the farmers market in Denham Springs in only open until noon on Saturday only and the sellers are sometimes sold out well before then. It is on the NE corner of Range and Fla Blvd. across from McDonalds.

phillip

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Shreveport
    5lbs of honey at sams for $13

Get the Nutrimill ,grinds very cool and quieter.... but all mills ARE F'ng LOUD!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Lequip-LEquip-Nutrimill-Electric-Mill/dp/B000ZMI38O

Make sure you ad gluten to a recipe that uses Whole wheat.

Dont bother using Honey as a sweetener for bread though, it is an Antiseptic/antifungi agent and the bread wont rise without Serious Experimentation with the batch you are using. a lot like lots of Gun powder but with more variation...

Thats a sweet deal on the honey.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Southside produce had the louisiana Honey 6lbs for 13.99!!!

The cheapest price I found for wheat with shipping was Walton Feed. They have other survivalist type food items also. The min Order to get terminal to terminal frieght is 1000lbs. and it is going to cost around .35 - .40 a pound to ship it.

Top Bottom