Why do some people think cursing will help their cause?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am a manager for "Big Box Retailer", and often we make mistakes and they need to be corrected. Today was a bad day for staffing, a lot of people didn't make it to work due to the interstate shutdown this morning. We obviously were doing all we could do to prioritize getting customers checked out, managers (The ones that made it to work) on registers etc. but some people just like to start off with you dumb mother ****ing dumb ass why the **** can't you run a god damn 100 million dollar business flawlessly without ever having anyone making a ****ing mistake.

I am glad to correct mistakes when others make the wrong decision, I often go beyond what is necessary to make people happy, even beyond what the rules allow sometimes. But today I got a phone call that started with you ****ing idiot how the **** long do you want me to stand in line. Are you going to ****ing do something about these ****ing lines you ****ing idiot. When I told him I apologized and told him I was on the front end helping get registers open he told me I was ****ing rude for telling him he was holding me up from opening registers. I never told him that, but it was true, he was holding me up.

Some "Big Box" Managers are idiots, but many are just trying to do their best with the limited resources the company allows, and sometimes things are out of their control, don't curse them out, it doesn't get you anywhere.

Please buy more leather so I can have only nice gun toting, law abiding customers who I am sure I can satisfy.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    From my experience in retail the customers who bitch the most got their way the fastest, unless they were hostile with a manager

Usually the CS rep would get a new ******* torn and then the manager would give a blowjob on the CS counter to the customer.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I stood in line in a bank today for 30minutes while only 2 employees took care of a long line. I was pissed but kept my dam mouth shut.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    From my experience in retail the customers who bitch the most got their way the fastest, unless they were hostile with a manager

Usually the CS rep would get a new ******* torn and then the manager would give a blowjob on the CS counter to the customer.

I generally try to take the customers attitude out of the question and look at what is the right or wrong thing to do. Most of the time CS is just following the rules to the T, I can override the rules. If someone is really nice sometimes that works in their favor. If they curse so much I can't understand what they are saying the Sheriff removes them from the building. I usually shutdown people as soon as they start cursing, "Sir/Mam, I can't help you if you talk to me like that, but if you would like to stop using inappropriate language I'll see what I can do for you." If they continue, I just ask them to leave, if they don't leave I let the Sheriff handle it. Most people calm down when they realize I am not an idiot, and I will treat them more than fair.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA

Not at my store! You will treat my staff with respect or you'll be shown the door

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We submit those that are courteous and reward those that are outrageous! It is where we are heading/now! If more company's that know in their hearts they are doing the best they can with what they have, haven't cut corners by hiring morons, and are willing to stand up against rude and foul behavior by some customers, without fear of reprisal by the media and the "race" baiters; we could grab some of that civility we all miss, back!

Don't you remember: "No shoes, no shirt, no service!"

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I have definitely cursed under my breathe at the incompetent employees when leaving big box stores and fast food restaurants. Some people really can't do anything. It's a different situation when a place is obviously understaffed though. I am understanding and usually get mad at the other people bitching and tell them I'm tired of hearing it we all have to wait. That's why I can't do big cities, I mean damn it's a red light honking isn't going to make it change.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have definitely cursed under my breathe at the incompetent employees when leaving big box stores and fast food restaurants. Some people really can't do anything. It's a different situation when a place is obviously understaffed though. I am understanding and usually get mad at the other people bitching and tell them I'm tired of hearing it we all have to wait. That's why I can't do big cities, I mean damn it's a red light honking isn't going to make it change.

You are young; master Luke! There are so many things you have not witnessed, tasted, heard! These problems in the force are deep and strong!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I could tell you stories about refusing aholes, but they ain't polite! :mamoru:

The business I'm in you have to be nice to people. The public expect professional businesses to act professionally. One problem is the public's perception that people working for big box stores are idiots and flunkies. Although not true when something goes wrong they feel entitled to talk down to and curse them out.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The customer is not always right and it's a misconception I have never believed in.

That said, politeness (from the customer) goes a long way towards getting a great response (from the manager).

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you're running a big box store then I have to take up for the clients. Cursing won't get you anywhere, I agree, BUT... usually the stores staff as minimally as possible. Walmart is the biggest culprit of this. Go to a local superwalmart, spend an hour gathering purchases, then head to the register. Its 30 minutes minimum! Then to have someone want to see your receipt on the way out? Like they're actually going to count your items with a $300 load of groceries!

One event recently had me cursing though at walmart. My daughter got sick and needed some cough medicine. Walmart was the only place that had it in stock. I told my wife she was not going to the walmart in Kenner (not a great clientele that time of night) at 10pm by herself and jumped in the truck. I got there at 9:55, parked where I always do and went in the garden entrance on one end of the store. I ran in, grabbed the item off the shelf, and headed to the garden register. I had been inside not even 5 minutes. I found the door locked. OK, I headed to the next, no such luck. They had only the one door open at clear the other end of the parking lot. Also, half the parking lot lights were out. Had I sent my wife she would have been walking 200 yards across the dark parking lot with several undesirables to keep her company. There were 3 kenner cops present but they were flirting with the customer service crew instead of watching the parking lot. not good...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The business I'm in you have to be nice to people. The public expect professional businesses to act professionally. One problem is the public's perception that people working for big box stores are idiots and flunkies. Although not true when something goes wrong they feel entitled to talk down to and curse them out.

The customer is "always right", is still the main tenet of business. No doubt! But no matter what business you are in; abusive, abrasive, browbeating; and down right disrespect of an owners employees in spite of that, ain't gonna happen in my world!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

Truth there. It's obvious when it's a matter of exigent circumstances that are out of the employee's hands; getting mad will not only do nothing to solve the problem, but it's unwarranted at the same time.

In those cases, I tend to blame the universe and my luck-- not the employees. :D As in... I still get mad, but I'm conscious of being accurate in where I direct it.

CEHollier said:
    One problem is the public's perception that people working for big box stores are idiots and flunkies. Although not true when something goes wrong they feel entitled to talk down to and curse them out.

Meh. I agree that (obviously) not all of the big box store employees are idiots. However-- neither are all the members of the public.

I know a 'tard when I see one. Just like I know someone is being lazy, intentionally obstinant-- whatever.

If, with no experience at all, I can figure out the problem and tell you how to fix it faster than an employee can work it out... and it's *their job* to know these things... Either I'm a freakin' genius, or they're incompetent.

Seems fair enough to me. :dunno:

For the record, I've never cursed anyone out in that setting. Not because they didn't deserve it or I felt that I wasn't entitled-- but because, as we've illustrated, it rarely solves anything. And I do my level best to avoid conflict in this day in age, where God knows what the results may be...

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The customer is not always right and it's a misconception I have never believed in.

That said, politeness (from the customer) goes a long way towards getting a great response (from the manager).

I worked at a store that had on the wall that said "Treat the customer like the are always right." "Even though they are probably wrong." in my teen years.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Your first part of this, I know the feeling and to a certain extent I agree with you. That phrase is a business philosophy, mostly. But a good one for the most part. For the greater good of your business.

The second part is spot on! Unfortnately, many businesses don't have boots on the ground that can distinguish those(customers), from scum.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I worked at a store that had on the wall that said "Treat the customer like the are always right." "Even though they are probably wrong." in my teen years.

I'm thinking... Nope, I couldn't do it. I don't believe in being nasty to the customer but firm, yes. I won't take verbal abuse from my own spouse. I won't take it from a stranger.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you're running a big box store then I have to take up for the clients. Cursing won't get you anywhere, I agree, BUT... usually the stores staff as minimally as possible. Walmart is the biggest culprit of this. Go to a local superwalmart, spend an hour gathering purchases, then head to the register. Its 30 minutes minimum! Then to have someone want to see your receipt on the way out? Like they're actually going to count your items with a $300 load of groceries!

One event recently had me cursing though at walmart. My daughter got sick and needed some cough medicine. Walmart was the only place that had it in stock. I told my wife she was not going to the walmart in Kenner (not a great clientele that time of night) at 10pm by herself and jumped in the truck. I got there at 9:55, parked where I always do and went in the garden entrance on one end of the store. I ran in, grabbed the item off the shelf, and headed to the garden register. I had been inside not even 5 minutes. I found the door locked. OK, I headed to the next, no such luck. They had only the one door open at clear the other end of the parking lot. Also, half the parking lot lights were out. Had I sent my wife she would have been walking 200 yards across the dark parking lot with several undesirables to keep her company. There were 3 kenner cops present but they were flirting with the customer service crew instead of watching the parking lot. not good...

Dude! You can't shop at Wal-Mart and expect service as if you were going to Tiffany's. Come on. That is a chief problem with our society. We want it cheap and we want it now! It doesn't work that way.

Top Bottom