Why Open Carry (instead of Carrying Concealed?)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    The old debate about CCW vs. OC has long been a staple of gun boards. Since those that carry firearms tend to be an opinionated lot, these conversations can get quite heated. In an effort to give people a places to voice their thoughts and opinions, this sticky is open to any who would like to post about the positives of OPEN Carry as opposed to carrying concealed. This is a subject worthy of thought, and newcomers to the conversation should have a chance to hear both sides without the strife that usually attends the debate.

Be advised! Any posts displaying a lack of respect for other's choices in this thread will be summarily deleted. This thread is SOLELY for those who believe in the merits of Open Carry, and would like to RESPECTFULLY enunciate their reasoning.

Have fun, and be respectful of others and their choices!

For those with the contrasting viewpoint, click here: Why Carry Concealed (Instead of Openly Carrying)?

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I carry concealed and openly at alternating times every day. I am not biased towards one or the other.

When I open carry it is frequently simply because I prefer 3 o'clock carry, and it is too hot for a shirt.

One of the great side effects of this is that I get into lots of conversations with people about guns and shooting. I have long since lost track of how many people I have been able to tell about BayouShooter.com, LouisianaCarry.org and Long Range Alley gun club, that I would never had spoken with, had I not had a gun on my hip as an ice breaker.

I have never had the slightest problem open carrying. Usually the conversation goes like this:

Them: "Are you a cop or something?"

Me: "I feel it is every adult's civic duty to be adequately prepared to defend himself and/or those around him."

Them: "That makes sense. I have been wanting to buy a gun."

Me: "It makes good sense to have one, just like it is a good idea to wear a seat belt and have insurance. I would recommend you get connected with someone who can help you learn how to use one correctly and safely, if you get one though. If you visit www.lacarry.org, you can get alot of good info about safety, training, maps to practice ranges and other useful resources to get you started. I will even bring you to the range as my guest, if you like. Here is my business card."

The more people armed and proficient with weapons, the better off we all are. That outweighs the perceived negative tactical considerations that are potentially associated with open carry, to me.

Also, the more regular people going about their day that people see with weapons, the more chances there are that people will shed the Hollywood perception that only bad guys and cops have guns. Guns are a large part of why we have a country in the first place, and we should do all we can not to let the mainstream media stigmatize them.

For more info about Open Carry, here is a great web site: OpenCarry.org
    For the specific forum for our State, click here: LA Stories

I would always advise anyone considering open carry to be advised that many (NOT ALL!) LEOs in LA are less concerned with respecting your decisions and adhering to the law as they are in preventing the possible mass panic associated with "ZOMG A MAN WITH A GUN!" More than one person has had trumped up charges brought against them for simply carrying a gun, which is a legal act. You should be able to defeat these charges, and hopefully sue the heck out of the department that did it to you, but it may cost you alot of time, money and lost work. That is worth it for some of us, for others it is not. Consider how you will handle various encounters before they occur.

I OC every day in Shreveport, and have never had a problem. You may very easily run into trouble. It would be very wise to have a lawyer and be very familiar with Louisiana laws before you start openly carrying. It is not a decision to enter into lightly.

WhiteRabbit22

US Navy, Belle Chasse LA.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Marrero LA.
    For right now, I OC simply because I don't have a CCW permit, and I can OC without a permit. However, I know the law, and I carry it with me, along with case laws and the AG's opinion on the matter.
    It's also a very good conversation starter, and lets me educate people on a daily basis. I had a very long (over an hour) conversation with a friend of mine about it today, before we went to the range. He understood my points, and agreed with me on just about everything I said.
    Plus, OC is more comfotable, and more accessible, and a crime deterent.

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Here's how I go about it...... I do BOTH !! (let me explain.....) I have a full size 1911 in a full size level III safariland duty holster. I just put an oversized caribbean pattern shirt over the whole thing unbuttoned. If it flaps open with the breeze, well too bad. If you make that big blob on my hip and the grip poking out from under the shirt .... too bad. If you see part of the holster when Im reaching up, down, or sideways,..... too bad. I got my CCW permit on me and so I am covered both ways...... so if you are liberal and a hoplophobic....... well that's too bad as well.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    3923d1094252491-osnn-irc-channel-irc-freenode-net-holythreadresbatman.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017