Why?????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peabrain42

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Boonies
    Cause the left don't want you buying anymore,makes it harder to confiscate them.

The taxes is what im upset about.It redonkulious.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    What u shipping? Typically it’s around $40-50 for me to ship a gun with $1500 ins. To me that isn’t that bad... ain’t great but it’s the norm

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    What u shipping? Typically it’s around $40-50 for me to ship a gun with $1500 ins. To me that isn’t that bad... ain’t great but it’s the norm

A handgun with $2,000 insurance. Went to UPS in Gray this morning. The clerk told me to go online and print a special shipping label. Can't figure it out. Called UPS customer service and they told me to bring it to the shop and they would print a label for me.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    A handgun with $2,000 insurance. Went to UPS in Gray this morning. The clerk told me to go online and print a special shipping label. Can't figure it out. Called UPS customer service and they told me to bring it to the shop and they would print a label for me.

Go here to:

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

It's cheaper than shipping yourself. Typically, if you ship yourself it'll be in the $150+ range for handguns and $50+ for rifles. https://www.shipmygun.com/go/ has a contract with UPS so you get about 50% or more off the usual shipping charges.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana

Go to an ffl and have them ship it for you by priority usps mail. They will charge you a transfer fee and the shipping fee but it will be much cheaper than shipping by ups overnight. Just saying.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Why is it so hard and expensive to ship a firearm?

It's neither... just take it to FedEx. It doesn't cost more than any other package. The Medium Box will fit a handgun in a case, and depending on how much insurance you stick on there shouldn't run you more than about $25 for 3-day delivery. Just make sure whatever FFL you're shipping to is cool with receiving from a non-licensee (they will be) and see if they require anything special (mine requires a photocopy of the sender's drivers licence to be stuck in the box with the firearm).

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html

You can ship long guns using USPS registered mail but they're so f***ed these days I probably wouldn't chance it. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    UPS and FedEx have lost so many firearms through employee theft that they require you to pay extra for increased tracking and expedited delivery.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    If you take it to an ffl and they ship it for you, most likely the shipping fee will be $15 at most by usps priority mail. My ffl ships things for me with his fee of $20 tacked on to the shipping fee so, $35 at most for me. Cheaper than ups and fedex.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    It's neither... just take it to FedEx. It doesn't cost more than any other package. The Medium Box will fit a handgun in a case, and depending on how much insurance you stick on there shouldn't run you more than about $25 for 3-day delivery. Just make sure whatever FFL you're shipping to is cool with receiving from a non-licensee (they will be) and see if they require anything special (mine requires a photocopy of the sender's drivers licence to be stuck in the box with the firearm).

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html

You can ship long guns using USPS registered mail but they're so f***ed these days I probably wouldn't chance it. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Didn't think about FED-EX. Might go that route. There is an office on LA 311 in Houma

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you take it to an ffl and they ship it for you, most likely the shipping fee will be $15 at most by usps priority mail. My ffl ships things for me with his fee of $20 tacked on to the shipping fee so, $35 at most for me. Cheaper than ups and fedex.

Same here. This is the route to go if you have an FFL nearby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yes, you can as long as the recieving ffl is willing to accept shipment from an unlicensed individual. I have done it for many years with no issues.

Yep I had someone in Texas give me a rifle a few years ago. He mailed it to a FFL pawnshop in Denham Springs. I paid the FFL fee about $15 did the background check and went home with my new rifle

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I did not know you could ship a gun without an FFL

For most cases you have to ship to a FFL, but you can definitely ship it. It's a touchy area when shipping to an individual. I think there are a few specific cases where firearms can be shipped to an individual, but I don't remember the nuances off the top of my head.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    For most cases you have to ship to a FFL, but you can definitely ship it. It's a touchy area when shipping to an individual. I think there are a few specific cases where firearms can be shipped to an individual, but I don't remember the nuances off the top of my head.

Per the ATF rules:
    "Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31, 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]"

Top Bottom