Will a AT3 ARO micro red dot sight be too heavy for my TX22??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Ok, tested it out tonight at the range. I only noticed 1 issue where it failed to load the next round, but I had forgotten to tap the mag back so it's probably just that. I put 125 rds downrange with no other issues except for I had installed a faux suppressor (I know, I know) thinking the added weight at the muzzle would dampen the recoil some to help with follow-up shots. WRONG, The shots were all over the place but mainly low and left. I quickly removed it to get more consistent shots although I still suck. In my eyes the pistol is very reliable as is though.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I'm going to RangeUSA tonight to try it one more time. The first range trip checking it out I kinda felt like reliability was good with std velocity, but maybe it could start to be picky on ammo which I don't want. With the lighter R/D I feel it could be more reliable even possibly with all types of ammo.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I’d run a few different types of ammo through it tonight and see.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    If it's running well with standard velocity I would consider that a win. Subsonic gives semi auto pistols trouble even without an optic. It should run well even with a heavier optic on high velocity.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I forgot to mention that I ran 3 different types of std velocity (all 1200 fps) ammo, all ran good. I didn't try any high velocity stuff since it runs fine with it, the lower power ammo is what concerned me.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Considering the overall weight of the TX22 slide, I'd chase weight if you want reliability. The slide is aluminum for good reason -- they want that reciprocating mass as light as possible. (You can add weight to the guide rod if need be without issue.) 1.8oz is pretty beefy for a pistol optic in this application.

I've tried a few optics on a TX22 with a dovetail (Holosun 507k, Swampfox Sentinel, Romeo Zero, Swampfox Justice, Sig Romeo 1), and settled on the Sig Romeo 1 6moa: small footprint, large window, weighs 0.8oz. The only two dovetail plates I've tried are Lakeline and Galloway, and both are great. I think I prefer the Galloway if I had to choose.

Have about 12k rounds through mine with the Galloway + Romeo 1 setup without issue. The only thing it won't cycle is CCI quiet 710fps, which basically just turns it into a bolt action pistol.

If you want a really decent optic on the cheap check out Swampfox (small medium large: Sentinel, Liberty or Justice). You might be a bit happier with those than the Amazon optics.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Considering the overall weight of the TX22 slide, I'd chase weight if you want reliability. The slide is aluminum for good reason -- they want that reciprocating mass as light as possible. (You can add weight to the guide rod if need be without issue.) 1.8oz is pretty beefy for a pistol optic in this application.

I've tried a few optics on a TX22 with a dovetail (Holosun 507k, Swampfox Sentinel, Romeo Zero, Swampfox Justice, Sig Romeo 1), and settled on the Sig Romeo 1 6moa: small footprint, large window, weighs 0.8oz. The only two dovetail plates I've tried are Lakeline and Galloway, and both are great. I think I prefer the Galloway if I had to choose.

Have about 12k rounds through mine with the Galloway + Romeo 1 setup without issue. The only thing it won't cycle is CCI quiet 710fps, which basically just turns it into a bolt action pistol.

If you want a really decent optic on the cheap check out Swampfox (small medium large: Sentinel, Liberty or Justice). You might be a bit happier with those than the Amazon optics.
    I am still considering the change to a lighter optic if anything just for piece of mind. I had also considered using the Romeo 1 but I read some reviews that weren't too favorable so I had the AT3 sitting in the cabinet so why not I thought. I also want to use the Lakeline adapter plate with the Cyelee red dot for now. Being this is just a range toy I'm probably not going to buy another red dot setup right now as long as one of these setup's work good. I might just have to buy another pistol because I love this Taurus so much. lol

Thank for the advice, thats alot of good info right there and I do appreciate it.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    What is your final verdict?
    2-3 range trips and approx 500 rds of Federal, CCI and Winchester std velocity ammo it runs fine with, no issues at all. This thing is a ball to shoot and easy for my older eyes to get on target. I haven't really tried it out with HV ammo so I guess I'll do that just in case that might cause any issues and let everyone know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom