WTB Ruger 10/22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just as the title says, looking for a used, well broken in 10/22. Plan to do a stock conversion to it so I don't care if the old one is beat up, so long as the important parts are in good shape.

Prefer FTF around BR.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ironically, I got the itch the day BEFORE the long thread started, but it definately didn't help! Lol I saw the G36K conversion on HKPro last week and have just been doing research the past few days so I don't buy the wrong thing. I'm very methodic when I get ready to spend money on anything that can't be returned lol. Sadly I have a 10/22 that I've never laid hands on. It was inhereted by my wife, but until we get a larger safe, we have no room for 23 more guns. I also wouldn't tear apart an heirloom gun to make myself a toy.

G

gunguy11

The bug is bad man!! Just today I took mine out. From 50yards back me and a buddy were shooting shotgun shells off a log and the nozzles off empty aerosol cans! Completely factory and crazy accurate!

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It's a rifle I've glanced at a few times for when my son is old enough. I figure by 4 or 5 he may be able to handle it, but only time will tell. In the meantime, daddy gets to have a little fun!!!

And it's a lot easier than dropping $3000 on a converted SL-8/G36. Not to say that won't happen eventually though

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I figure by 4 or 5 he may be able to handle it, but only time will tell. In the meantime, daddy gets to have a little fun!!!

At that age, a 10/22 is too much for the little guys. Single-shot youth bolt is the way to go... something like the Crickett. They need to learn about shot placement and proper technique first, then graduate up to the "fun guns." The 10/22 stock is too big for guys that small (even the youth carbine stock), which leads to compensating for the weight and learning incorrect shooting stance, sight alignment, and trigger control. Semi-auto spoils them with fun rapid fire, after that they won't appreciate hitting the target one shot at a time nearly as much, if at all.

All of this is imho, of course. I have three boys (13, 8, and 6)... the 6-year-old hasn't gotten to try the 10/22 yet, the 8-year-old has only shot it twice (both shoot very well with the Crickett and Henry). My 13-year-old shoots my AK now... and yes he has fun with some rapid-fire (don't we all), but he had to earn his way to that point. He enjoys shooting my bolt-action Mauser just as much and puts up tight groups to prove it, not to mention he's deadly accurate with all of the .22s.

A buddy of mine brought his 10-year-old out shooting with us one weekend, and that lil kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a sawed-off shotgun! He was all about rapid-fire, and was bored with any gun he had his hands on that didn't go bang bang bang. I tried to get him to hit clays on the berm with a single-shot, but he had no patience for learning how to aim and ended up taking 10 rapid-fire shots from the 10/22 to hit it. I gave up and we just had some fun, but all of the kids were given the same amount of .22lr ammo at the beginning of the afternoon... guess who was sitting around whining to go home while the other guys were still shooting? Even his dad conceded that his boy was spoiled by "machine-gunning." Anyway, this is obviously an extreme... guess all I'm saying is be careful how you introduce them to shooting.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not letting him shoot anything he can't safely and comfortably hold, the BB gun will be first, if not an airsoft or something. He can two hand my P2000SK fairly well, when it's unloaded of course, which also cuts the weight in half, and merely just to lift it up, not actually attempt to pull a trigger, much less aim it, so it doesn't really count lol.

I'm thinking around 4 or so, I can kinda start warming him up to the idea with some actual toys and see how he does, then work our way up from there. I don't want to "push" anything like that on him, or he'll probably get a bad taste for it and never want to do it again. We'll work at his pace, and hopefully have a nice diverse selection for him to grow through.

Either way, this one is gonna be for me, I figure it'll make a fun small game and target/range gun. I think I need a .22 just for the sake of the rediculously cheap ammo.

Last edited:

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Idk what your looking to spend but theres a ruger 10/22 for 210$ on this facebook buy/sell/trade page im a member of.

I can get the info to you if you have facebook or the # posted for the guy if you would like.

Though the guy seems to live in bogalusa.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    That's the only problem, I can get one new for a little bit more, and any savings for driving that far would be eaten up by fuel cost. I'm looking to spend around $100-150, and possibly a little more locally, especially if it's an all metal one. Anything around $200 though and I'll just go buy new. I can get a new one at Bass Pro for $240, and even GB has them for $169, and after shipping and transfer its $220 but I can avoid taxes.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Man I was tempted to tip you off to one but I couldn't resist and went and grabbed it up myself. Found a carbine in pretty good condition the metal is near 100% the stock had a couple use marks/scratches but I got it for $160 total from pelican today. I debated it since saterday and decided I just had to do it. Keep your eyes open and just swing in and check the local pawn shops when your passing by you would be surprised at what you might find.

This one is going to end up in a purple evolution stock and a hi desert dog barrel for my wife so she'll keep her fingers off mine.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Oh you suck, I was supposed to go by pelican yesterday and didn't feel like making the trip until friday. I'm gonna try to swing by some pawn shops this week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

Mr. Beck owns ascension pawn. Try there. Located on burnside in Gonzales, la. Last time I was there he had 2-3 of them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom