Yay Fitness!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm making this thread because I didn't want to monopolize another. With the new year around the corner, I know people will set goals and whatnot and possibly not keep them.

Any success stories y'all want to share? Who else here crossfits?

I've been crossfitting since April 2013 and love it. I love the camaraderie and I've definitely seen my endurance and strength increase. I eat 80/20 paleo and maintain a clean diet.

Please share y'all's stories (doesn't have to be Crossfit, just fitness in general) and we can encourage everyone to be healthy in the New Year!

Those of us who are already eating paleo, clean or whatever, feel free to add recipes in this thread to help guide other members!

I posted this stuffed pork tenderloin recipe a few months ago http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...oin-(Paleo-Friendly-with-Pictures)&highlight=

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    In 2013 I successfully cut down from 12 oz to 10 oz beers! :D

Seriously though. I'm one of those who makes the same resolution every year to get into better shape, and always fall short. I'm not fat by any means, just not in the shape I once was in. As much as I hated running then, I really wish I could run like that now. Maybe this year my be the year. Congrats on your achievements!

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Actually started about a week ago after finishing finals. Wasn't doing it for the new year just want to be lean for once. Been meaning to sit down with a nutritionist to figure out a diet I want to stay away from unnatural stuff that might have any withdraw effects like caffeine etc. Need a diet to follow and recipes that are yummy.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you want to try paleo I'd be glad to help you out. I'm no nutritionist but I met with one when I started paleo a few months ago and she's helped me a lot. Our gym/box has a great support system and when someone finds a tasty recipe, we share it.

Food prep / meal planning is a great way to find success in any diet.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Beginning the 1st, I'm going on the NO CARB DIET.
    Problem is, I like my beer way to much - any suggestions.
    I'm 5'8" @ 210

I quit drinking back in May and have since slowly started drinking socially again. I stick to vodka water and that's it, maybe once or twice a month. If you absolutely NEED a beer, find a good low-carb option, like maybe Michelob Ultra? It's the most low-carb (2.6g) and Coors Light (7g) is another option I know a few people drink.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I quit drinking back in May and have since slowly started drinking socially again. I stick to vodka water and that's it, maybe once or twice a month. If you absolutely NEED a beer, find a good low-carb option, like maybe Michelob Ultra? It's the most low-carb (2.6g) and Coors Light (7g) is another option I know a few people drink.

Vodka water? That sounds like the definition of disgusting.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    If you want to try paleo I'd be glad to help you out. I'm no nutritionist but I met with one when I started paleo a few months ago and she's helped me a lot. Our gym/box has a great support system and when someone finds a tasty recipe, we share it.

Food prep / meal planning is a great way to find success in any diet.

My wife is a paleo guru. She belongs to many paleo groups and takes nutrition classes.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    While I've been running and swimming laps for a while, This January will make 1 year since I started lifting weights in a 5x5 style program. My strength has increased immensely. while I do many lifts, the core lifts are squats, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, bent over row. I also do sets of dips, curls, pull ups, push ups, and many dumbell exercises. If you can commit to 1 year, trust me, you will not want to stop.

I have no diets, just, if I think it's garbage, than I don't eat it. I only drink water, coffee, or alcoholic beverages. No soda. No supplements, shakes whatever either. I know I would probably be stronger if I did, but I kind of like taking the natural approach.

Hit my goal of 100 ab wheel (no spring, just wheel and stick) in 4 sets of 25 this year. (no small feat)

Next year goals, hit the 20 marine style pull-up mark. At 15 now, but it's really hard to do more. Probably doesn't help that I'm 30 late something either.

Last edited:

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I started Crossfit around this time last year and loved it. Went 4-5 times a week until the end of July this year. Box I was going to was close to work not home. I took a new job in a different area so I planned on changing gyms but in my last week injured my back (old injury and I was pushing harder than I should have been). I decided to let my back heal so I haven't started back yet. Probably could have the last month or so but keep making other excuses. Planning on starting back after the holidays. Can't wait to get going again.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    Started seeing a Nutritionist / Dietician in November, and started walking daily. Hope to have my gastric sleeve surgery in May / June.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Had back surgery 1 year ago today, was down from 286 to 250 by then but gained 10 over the holidays right after. I partially contributed that to the steroids they gave me after surgery. Yesterday, 1 year later, I've maintained 260lbs but increased my stamina and strength quite a bit. I'm 43yrs old, 6' tall with a bum rotator cuff from 20yrs of softball. I met my goal yesterday of benching 315lbs and squatting 400. I also started doing burpees (God I hate those) for my cardio since my foot injury 6mo ago and I'm up to 30 in a row now. I've got a long way to go but I feel better now than I did in my 20s. My wife has lost 86lbs this year with diet alone. We are trying to abstain from eating anything processed, including wheat. Started eating quinoa instead of rice, no breads, lots of vegetables, little fruit, and all around trying to keep the carbs and sugars at bay. But alas I tend to slip on the weekends which is why I maintained and not lost weight. I plan to work on that part more in the coming year. Congrats to all on your accomplishments.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Have a pull-up bar that hangs on my door frame and run for 2-3 months at a time, but I can never stick with it. I need to, it definitely helps with work and keeping up with my 3-year-old.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I had ACL reconstruction surgery a little less than 2 years ago (judo injury) and was weighing about 280. After surgery I started going to physical therapy. After 6 months I was "finished" but was told to keep it up. So I was then able to start playing judo again and I started going to a gym with my sister. I focus on cardio mainly. I went from not being able to run a half mile to now being able to run 2 miles in 20 mins and still working that down. I also weighed in at 251.8 last night and that is also still going down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom