XD-M explodes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    They think it fired while out of battery.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The original thread:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839479

:)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Damm thats the first one I see do this, pretty messed up though glad the operator isn't seriously hurt, bad thing is its putting a bad name for us XD fans when it was not due to poor quality of handgun more bad quality of load.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Shooting reloads. What a surprise.

And your point is?

This can also happen with factory ammo. I had a gun I was shooting last Wed night get a squib. Something didn't feel or sound right. I stopped and sure enough, had a round lodged in the bbl. If I had the classic "head up ass syndrome" there would have been a similiar post.

sterno

I put the in lazy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    It's not the reloads, it's the reloader.

I've reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds without one problem.

I also check my brass for cracks, am very observant while I charge my cases with powder, and I check every 20 or so rounds for over all length.

If you also look into it, you'll find that 75%ish of reload kabooms happen with gun show reloads. There's a big difference between a person making performance ammunition for him(or her)self and a person looking to make back what he spent on a table by selling ziploc bags of cheap ammo.

bayoukajun

Old & Cranky
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Gonzales, La.
    My point is, almost every time this happens to any handgun the owner is shooting reloads. And then everyone rants about how it has nothing to do with the fact that they were shooting reloads. It's not just a strange coincidence.
    I'm over twice your age so I'm not as smart as you but.... I have been reloading for 30 years plus and have to this date had exactly zero kabooms and one squib load to my credit. To make a blanket statement like that is totally idiotic. Reloading is like anything else, if you don't have your head in the game don't do it. I, like most who reload, have very stict rules when reloading which are never compromised. One of those rules is to never shoot any one else's reloads.

kajun.....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My point is, almost every time this happens to any handgun the owner is shooting reloads. And then everyone rants about how it has nothing to do with the fact that they were shooting reloads. It's not just a strange coincidence.

+1 again :)

Especially guns chambered in .40 S&W

It's not the reloads, it's the reloader.

I've reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds without one problem.

I also check my brass for cracks, am very observant while I charge my cases with powder, and I check every 20 or so rounds for over all length.

If you also look into it, you'll find that 75%ish of reload kabooms happen with gun show reloads. There's a big difference between a person making performance ammunition for him(or her)self and a person looking to make back what he spent on a table by selling ziploc bags of cheap ammo.

Have you ever reloaded any .40 S&W?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm over twice your age so I'm not as smart as you but.... I have been reloading for 30 years plus and have to this date had exactly zero kabooms and one squib load to my credit. To make a blanket statement like that is totally idiotic. Reloading is like anything else, if you don't have your head in the game don't do it. I, like most who reload, have very stict rules when reloading which are never compromised. One of those rules is to never shoot any one else's reloads.

kajun.....

Of course it's the person doing the reloading as Sterno said, i'm sure Speedracer is not implying that these rounds are making themselves.

However EVERY single Ka-boom I've seen has been from a reload and NOT from Factory Ammo. Glock/XD/SIG/M&P even the Beretta just the other day. I'm also not in the minority here I'm sure when it comes to reading these stories, and then not being surprised to also read the admission of guilt when they relinquish the fact they it was a reload that blew their gun up.

I'm quite certain that is the point Speedracer is trying to make here.

Cheers

D

Last edited:

bayoukajun

Old & Cranky
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Gonzales, La.
    Hitman;390550 Have you ever reloaded any .40 S&W?[/QUOTE said:
    Yes, but I don't anymore. All I'm saying is don't blame reloading, it's perfectly safe hobby as long as it's done right. Buying reloads from gun show tables is like playing Russian Roulette.

Kajun.....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Yes, but I don't anymore. All I'm saying is don't blame reloading, it's perfectly safe hobby as long as it's done right. Buying reloads from gun show tables is like playing Russian Roulette.

Kajun.....

Agreed :)

When reloading .40 S&W, isn't there little room for improvement if any at all?

This isn't rhetorical, I'm just wondering b/c I hear that's why a lot of folks have a .40 blow on them is b/c it's already at its peak.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    FYI, it happens with factory loads, also, but much less frequently. Witnessed a friend blow up a PPK/S with fresh box of Federal JHP's. The gun was repairable and Federal paid to have it factory rebuilt.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    One of those rules is to never shoot any one else's reloads.
    From another angle.....

Reloads are like underwear. Be very careful who you share with.

Back on topic. It really does look like a out of battery ignition. Seen enough photos of squibs and double charges to know what that looks like.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Hey, look at the bright side. The Melonite finish made it through without a scratch.....

Top Bottom