Convicted felon owning gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Guy i work with was convicted for possession of a controlled substance in year 2000. Can he own a firearm again? Or no? I tried looking on my phone but its difficult. Thanks, neil

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    I am not a lawyer, and I am not sure, but my friend who dated a cop says probably not.

Hope that helps.

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    Doesn't something happen after 10 years?

It's a possibility, but I do not think it is automatic...you have to apply for it, and I think there is a chance it can be denied.

I am sure we have a few recovering felons on here who will be by soon to elaborate. ;)

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    After ten years has passed from the date that he satisfactorily completed his sentencing, his gun rights are reinstated. So, if he was on probation for five years, and completed it in 2005, he would legally be able to purchase and possess a firearm in 2015. If he has had an expungement, pardon, or had the charges set aside, then he is legally able to own and purchase a firearm right now. However, even though you can possess a firearm after 10 years has passed, or had the charges expunged, you will have to wait 5 more years to be eligible for a CHP. If you get a gubernatorial pardon, you are good to go, as if it never happened.

I also am not a lawyer, so you can take this for what its worth, but I am 99.99999% sure this is correct and up to date.

Last edited:

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    After ten years has passed from the date of he satisfactorily completed his sentencing, his gun rights are reinstated. So, if he was on probation for five years, and completed it in 2005, he would legally be able to purchase and possess a firearm in 2015. If he has had an expungement, pardon, or had the charges set aside, the he is legally able to own and purchase a firearm right now. However, even though you can possess a firearm after 10 years has passed, or had the charges expunged, you will have to wait 5 more years to be eligible for a CHP. If you get a gubernational pardon, you are good to go, as if it never happened.

COuld you please post a link or something to this info? I was always told once a felon, always a felon for the purposes of getting a state CHP. I could be wrong.

-=Jimmy

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    COuld you please post a link or something to this info? I was always told once a felon, always a felon for the purposes of getting a state CHP. I could be wrong.

-=Jimmy

I REALLY don't feel like looking it up, because I have no computer. I have done a LOT of research on this matter, though. If you want to find it, its on the LSP CC website IIRC.

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    After ten years has passed from the date that he satisfactorily completed his sentencing, his gun rights are reinstated. So, if he was on probation for five years, and completed it in 2005, he would legally be able to purchase and possess a firearm in 2015. If he has had an expungement, pardon, or had the charges set aside, then he is legally able to own and purchase a firearm right now. However, even though you can possess a firearm after 10 years has passed, or had the charges expunged, you will have to wait 5 more years to be eligible for a CHP. If you get a gubernational pardon, you are good to go, as if it never happened.

I also am not a lawyer, so you can take this for what its worth, but I am 99.99999% sure this is correct and up to date.

Any laws to back this thought up??

-=Jimmy

I do believe you are correct. I don't agree with the law, but this is how it is written. If you committed a felony, you are always a 'felon'. It sucks for those that did the crime, did the time and learned from it...... But until the left wing takes a turn in the right direction it is an uphill fight for anyone that wants to live free, even after they paid for their crime.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Any laws to back this thought up??

I do believe you are correct. I don't agree with the law, but this is how it is written. If you committed a felony, you are always a 'felon'. It sucks for those that did the crime, did the time and learned from it...... But until the left wing takes a turn in the right direction it is an uphill fight for anyone that wants to live free, even after they paid for their crime.

Ahhh, you guys are going to make me look this up aren't you? Let me say this, when I was 19, I earned a felony drug charge. I had it expunged shortly after, and was able to buy and possess firearms legally in my home and in my vehicle after the expungement. I am now 27, and am in the process of receiving a gubernational pardon, so I can get my CHP and possibly my FFL later on.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I have not been in any trouble since my conviction, not even a speeding ticket. So I am hoping this will help my case in my efforts to obtain a pardon. Pardons are not just given out, and I can very well be denied. This is a chance I will have to take, because of the poor choices I made when I was younger. However, just because you made a few bad decisions at one point in your life, doesn't make you a bad person, nor does it permanently ban you from being a legal and responsible gun owner.

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    Ahhh, you guys are going to make me look this up aren't you? Let me say this, when I was 19, I earned a felony drug charge. I had it expunged shortly after, and was able to buy and possess firearms legally in my home and in my vehicle after the expungement. I am now 27, and am in the process of receiving a gubernational pardon, so I can get my CHP and possibly my FFL later on.

Please keep us updated on how this works out. I wish you the best, but would bet a dollar to a donut that a regular pardon will not do it for you. My CHP instructor said he was told by the head CHp guy that it had to specifically be a governor's gold seal pardon, and those are about a available as a hoodie without blood stains on it.

I asked him about it because I had a college friend who wanted to take the course with me, but because he had a felony drug charge too, did not.

nickjames

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    I have not been in any trouble since my conviction, not even a speeding ticket. So I am hoping this will help my case in my efforts to obtain a pardon. Pardons are not just given out, and I can very well be denied. This is a chance I will have to take, because of the poor choices I made when I was younger. However, just because you made a few bad decisions at one point in your life, doesn't make you a bad person, nor does it permanently ban you from being a legal and responsible gun owner.

PS. I respect the fact that you own up to it rather than try and proclaim your innocence. We all make bad decisions sometimes, just not all of us are always caught....I call that luck.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Hopefully, someone else will come along with some links, so I don't have to do so from my android. If no one else comes through with them tonight, I will get them.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    PS. I respect the fact that you own up to it rather than try and proclaim your innocence. We all make bad decisions sometimes, just not all of us are always caught....I call that luck.

A topic came up a little while back that was similar, and I avoided giving out my personal information on this. I know for a fact that letting this kind of news out about yourself will change the way that a lot of people think about you. I have nothing to prove to anyone though, and I am just fine with my past. If I could do it again, sure, I would change some things. Things happen for a reason, and I am glad that I had a chance to learn from my mistakes before I had a family that depended on me. Now, I am close to regaining my full rights back, and I will be very humbled if/when this happens.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    My CHP instructor said he was told by the head CHp guy that it had to specifically be a governor's gold seal pardon.

He was correct. Gubernatorial pardon is a gold seal pardon, same thing, just different names. They don't make it easy for you, but it IS possible. I hired an attorney to handle this for me, but you can seek out a gold seal pardon on your own. If this doesn't pan out, I will be out a couple $K and will have to wait 7 more years until I can get my CHP. But giving the current circumstances, I think I have a decent chance of this working out for me.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    A topic came up a little while back that was similar, and I avoided giving out my personal information on this. I know for a fact that letting this kind of news out about yourself will change the way that a lot of people think about you. I have nothing to prove to anyone though, and I am just fine with my past. If I could do it again, sure, I would change some things. Things happen for a reason, and I am glad that I had a chance to learn from my mistakes before I had a family that depended on me. Now, I am close to regaining my full rights back, and I will be very humbled if/when this happens.

Well, didn't expect that detail. Hope it works out for you. Like I said, I don't agree with the law.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

Great to hear this. Keep up the good work!
    :bigok:

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Louisiana state police told me when I called you can not get a CHP unless you have the gold seal pardon no matter how many years have passed. The first offender does not count either. You can have all your gun rights reinstated etc , but without the gold seal pardon no CHP.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom