Proper way to spray paint rubber grips on a small .38 Special?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm sure spray painting isn't the best option but I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment and already have some Krylon flat black lying around. Ntm, I may never even carry this one. Just kind of a backup of a backup. I had bought this little .38 snub nose for the girl I'm seeing b/c she works in downtown BR and I don't like seeing her unprotected. Well, turns out she's scared of it b/c there's no safety so now I own a new pink S&W snubby.

Only the grips are pink so I took off the grips, cleaned it w/ soap and water and scrubbed as advised by a YT video and then painted them.

I let it dry and cure for a full day before I flipped them over and did the back sides. Same thing, waited one more day before I put it all back together. Also, don't know if this matters but I had them in my back sunroom w/ windows cracked and fans going so it was like a wind tunnel in there, which I assumed would help it dry better.

Well, it's been 3 days and the paint is already chipping off. I'm the furthest thing from a painting expert so if someone could tell me any tips here to make this work, I'd really appreciate it. Maybe it just needs more coats? Maybe I should hit it with acetone and start over? Idk.

Thanks again

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Never seen a 38 snubby with a safety.. Who makes one?? If carried in a holster with the hammer sitting on top of a dead cylinder hole and her booger hook stays off of the trigger you can not get much safer than that...... If needed it should be 2nd nature without delay having to fumble with a external safety to make ready for use............ Good luck in finding something she is comfortable with ... Is this for her??? Or is this for you wanting her to have something ....................................... drill sgt.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    If it is flexible type rubber (I guess it all is), you probably won't be able to get paint to stick to it. You might want to try some shoe dye or similar dye, designed for rubber. Or just do like we did in the old days and wrap tape around it until you can afford some new grips. Pink isn't so bad, who's going to see it anyway? If you carry it concealed or if it tucked away in a drawer at home, no one will know but you.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Never seen a 38 snubby with a safety.. Who makes one?? If carried in a holster with the hammer sitting on top of a dead cylinder hole and her booger hook stays off of the trigger you can not get much safer than that...... If needed it should be 2nd nature without delay having to fumble with a external safety to make ready for use............ Good luck in finding something she is comfortable with ... Is this for her??? Or is this for you wanting her to have something ....................................... drill sgt.
    Yeah I don't think there's a such thing as one w/ a safety lol. I didn't mean to imply some have them. I just didn't realize that would be a sticking point for her. She somehow believes it could just "go off" in her purse and blast some poor fool's knee cap off or something.

But to answer your question, it's much more for me than for her. She never asked for it but I did have some conversations about it w/ her beforehand and she said she'd 'consider' carrying in some situations and if she felt comfortable with the gun. Evidently I need to just buy her a mace gun or something until I at least take her to the range a few times w/ me and let her get comfy around firearms. That's really the whole problem.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If it is flexible type rubber (I guess it all is), you probably won't be able to get paint to stick to it. You might want to try some shoe dye or similar dye, designed for rubber. Or just do like we did in the old days and wrap tape around it until you can afford some new grips. Pink isn't so bad, who's going to see it anyway? If you carry it concealed or if it tucked away in a drawer at home, no one will know but you.
    Yep I thought about the "who's gonna see it anyway" part and that's when I realized I'm doing it just for me. I just can't do a pink gun. And even the engraving and all on it is feminine looking (script) so it just adds to it.

Now queue up the tough guys - "A real man wouldn't care what color his gun is"... Well I guess I need some more testosterone then b/c I don't like it lol.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know many people use RIT dye on “plastic” knife handles, it may work on your grips too.
    Yep, I finished off my bottle of black Rit trying to dye this gun before I turned to the paint. Good lesson learned there - Rit Does Not stick to rubber... not even a little bit. Had the grips sitting in piping hot Rit dye for about 2 hours, periodically stirring and all, pulled them out w/ tongs after and still solid pink. Didn't even darken it.

Sixtop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2023
    Baton Rouge

You won’t be able to paint with krylon or similar. Just wrap with hockey tape and call it a day until you can replace with some new grips

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    . She somehow believes it could just "go off" in her purse and blast some poor fool's knee cap off or something.
    To be fair, she's not wrong if its just riding around in a purse. Have you seen the amount of sh!t most purses accumulate? Were the revolver to snag on something, say a pen or lipstick, and the trigger guard isn't protected by a proper holster it's very much a risk. One of the many, many reasons purse carry isn't the best option. Not saying it's common, but it's a definite risk and I commend her for realizing that.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    1714696167639.png

1714696295881.png

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You have confused a lock with safety.
    And I have painted (dye) lots of plastics, vinyls including vinyl car roofs, on a professional level at a body shop.
    A proper adhesion promoter is used 1st. It chemically binds to the plastics or rubber parts so.the dye, paint adhere.
    Tops, Bumpers, door panels, etc. even vinyl seats are done with no problems.
    Down side is cost of proper adhesion promoter, plus dye. I have had good results with proper prep even with spray bomb cans of SEM. But quarts of Dupont, PPG for spray gun use is king and can be mixed to colors-and shades of color.
    Down side is cost. It is going to cost more than new grips.
    That's why guys just cl ran an AR etc and spray bomb it. And live with poor results, and Re-Spray it again

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    SEM brand rattle can for plastic will be about the best cheap way to get paint that will stick to plastic. Rubber is another thing, and will likely require some sort of addl adhesion promoter as well as an exceptionally thorough clean. And it may not stick even then. I have painted alot of plastic.

Post up what model and brand of revolver you have and one of us will find you a cheap set of grips for it. Or stocks, sometime revolver guy get their little pee pees in a bind if you call the part you grip a grip...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom