Researching holographic optic for AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The ole bee man is looking for some suggestions from the pros on what’s available out there as far as holographic optics go. I know Eotech is the big player in the game, but I think there are some others out there also. Weight is a factor as I’d like to keep the rifle on the lighter side. The rifle is a Ruger MPR with the 16 inch barrel. I know that a LPVO is an option, but don’t want to go that route on this rifle. Truly appreciate the assistance !!!

dwc123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2024
    Baton Rouge, LA
    EOTech Uses Holographic Technology, and there is an upside to it being a closed emitter. Highly durable, still light. The hologram that the tech produces is great for CQB and medium engagements. The parallax shift is little to none, so it is consistent. You can also get a magnifier to couple it with.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    The ole bee man is looking for some suggestions from the pros on what’s available out there as far as holographic optics go. I know Eotech is the big player in the game, but I think there are some others out there also. Weight is a factor as I’d like to keep the rifle on the lighter side. The rifle is a Ruger MPR with the 16 inch barrel. I know that a LPVO is an option, but don’t want to go that route on this rifle. Truly appreciate the assistance !!!
    Are you sold on the Holographic red dot sights or do you want a Prism optic? The Prism is hand down a better choice imho. The red dots blur to me since I have a astigmatism, but the prism doesn't. Do you want/need magnification? You can get prisms with a variety of lower power magnification from 1X-5X, I have a 1.5X, 3X & a 4X, love them. Only drawback is the weight vs a red dot sight.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’m possibly open to the prism optic. I think Holosun makes one. My eyes are not as good as they once were and red dots are blurry to me. What make and model do you recommend? Are they pretty durable?

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I’m possibly open to the prism optic. I think Holosun makes one. My eyes are not as good as they once were and red dots are blurry to me. What make and model do you recommend? Are they pretty durable?
    Well I'm fond of the more economical ones by Monstrum. These hold up very well and with my nearly 60 year old eyes they work great for me. If you're not looking for absolute precision the reticles Monstrum has is the circle/dot 60 MOA circle w/ 2-3 MOA dot, but the newest one I just got (4X) has a different reticle . I'll post pics of them if I can find them. They hold up well on the AR and my 22lr.
    I had a AT3 3X prism on one AR for awhile, worked great but outdoors the small dot was hard to see in the woods, so I sold it. It was big and heavy though.
    Sorry for blurry pics, optics are very clear though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508_101539_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20240508_101539_Gallery.jpg
      206.2 KB · Views: 9
    • 20240302_204313.jpg
      20240302_204313.jpg
      230.9 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    From what has been explained to me:

If you are planning on jumping out of an airplane, landing in the ocean, and swimming into combat, then an Eotech is the only way to go. Nothing else will survive the pressure changes and remain waterproof and shock resistant like an Eotech.

Otherwise, Holosun has the best emitters on the market.

I'm too old to jump out of planes anymore, (they've told me that).
    I doubt I could swim very far with a rifle and a tactical loadout anymore.

I buy Holosun products.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    But if you did have an Eotech and lost your gun in a horrific boating accident. One day the gun may be retrieved and that optic will still work. So there’s that positive perk of owning an Eotech.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I will probably end up with a swampfox Raider 1x20 Micro Prism. The eotech doesn't do well with my astigmatism and it's just for hunting/plinking. It is also smaller/lighter package. Most importantly, they offer just a simple 6moa dot. I don't like the BDC stuff.

I would even use a "tiny" pistol red dot over an eotech just due to size and weight.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    If you want holographic, I would go with the EOtech. The Vortex and Holosun are just cheaper if it's budget.

If you are thinking about prisms and weight is a concern, you would have to go with one of the micro prisms. The Vortex and Primary Arms are the most popular right now.

I am a prism fan. The pros of them
    -Rugged fixed power
    -Reticle still there if battery dies
    -Clear magnification-again fixed power
    -Clear illumination

The Cons
    -they were heavy until the micro prisms
    -coarse adjustments of 1 MOA or 1/2 MOA as opposed to 1/4 MOA. You really just zero them once. No dialing
    -they have eye relief like a scope. Not unlimited like red dots

*Note-Micro prisms sacrifice Field of View to save the weight if that matters to you. The reticles in the micro prisms are much smaller compared to older, bigger, heavier prisms. You may want to look through one in person before purchasing. It's more like a FFP on a lower magnification rather than a SFP or FFP on higher magnification.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom