Shouldering Sig Brace = Illegal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Oh...and let's not have them clarify the question of which holding an AR pistol buffer tube to your shoulder is legal or not (there's your face palm). I mean the intent of a 'pistol' should be fired from the hands and not supported from other parts of the body, but hey I have never seen a letter saying I "can't" do it?

Actually:

It is CLEARLY spelled out that a Pistol is to be used with a SINGLE hand.... as such, given this latest "determination" it would seem that using both hands to hold your pistol would make ANY HANDGUNS AOW's....

Check it out.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Never under stood it why not just spend 200 and never have to worry if it's legal or not. Who gives a **** if the man knows you have a gun or not. If it comes to teotwawki it's not really going to matter

I went the SBR route and glad I did. However, if you think it's only going to cost $200 for the masses to go to SBR you are mistaken. Many people out there have a CLEO that will Not sign off on NFA items, etc. which forces them to have a Trust drawn up etc. pay the $300 and have it done right plus the $200 stamp and there you go....they are at $500 (vs $125) and if they want to cross over state line, you'll have to ask for permission in the form of a 5320.
    So despite going SBR, I see the other side to this.
    Edit- gotta pay for some engraving and a stock, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    The article says nothing about them shouldering the weapon. Maybe they were using it "as designed" with it strapped to their arm. Must we assume they were using it ilegally. Those certainly look like a couple of fine young men.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Uh yeah, they were arrested for armed robbery and had like a pound of weed on them. The illegal weapon charge was in addition to a slew of other charges, although they did get charged specifically for having an illegal SBR. But it's also in Cali which has it's own laws on the matter.

It's funny though that they thought using the brace would somehow keep them out of trouble when they were ROBBING someone with a pound of weed on them. I think at that point I woulda gone ahead and threw a nice B5 stock on that bish.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I thought that was only true on tauri

pz8kjs3snbtm6qt7ns0.png

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Actually:

It is CLEARLY spelled out that a Pistol is to be used with a SINGLE hand.... as such, given this latest "determination" it would seem that using both hands to hold your pistol would make ANY HANDGUNS AOW's....

Check it out.
    Where is this clearly spelled out? The letter in reference in this thread ONLY spells out that the sig brace is approved for use with stabilizing fire with one handed operation. This clarification does not mention anything about typical AR-15 pistol holding...only with the brace attached and as such designed for only single handed use.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Where is this clearly spelled out? The letter in reference in this thread ONLY spells out that the sig brace is approved for use with stabilizing fire with one handed operation. This clarification does not mention anything about typical AR-15 pistol holding...only with the brace attached and as such designed for only single handed use.

He is talking about the ATF definition of a handgun...

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    He is talking about the ATF definition of a handgun...
    Roger...which I read just now and agree that their definition of "handgun" design is "to be fired from one hand"...so let's talk some more...

The vertical grip is Not allowed per ATF on a handgun becase it redesigns the firearm to be readily fired from more than one hand. And "redesigning" a pistol with this attachment classifies as "Any other weapon". Which I understand.

What I don't understand: If the extra hand on the pistol is the issue with AOW, then how did the Magpul angled foregrips get approved without being AOW?! This CLEARLY redesigns a handgun to readily promote the use of two hands and that isn't the definition of AOW? I mean its an extra spot for the other hand on a handgun and therefore is no longer a handgun.

So, if a handgun (say factory Glock 17) is designed to be fired from one hand, then why are there finger dents in the sides for the other hand and why does EVERYONE shoot them with two? Maybe the issue is skirted by the fact that they contain one single vertical grip 'designed' for use with one hand. Seems if this is the assumed case, then HOW you hold a "as a designed and defined, approved by atf 'handgun'" then you are still in compliance. I should be able to legally hold my AR15 handgun (not talking about with a sig brace but just buffer tube) as I wish while firing...right?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I'm just curious, what's the reasoning behind the 16.5" limit on rifles? It seems to me like a 10.5" AR would make the best home defense weapon for those not surrounded by neighbors, or an MP5 or P90s for those with neighbors, with the barrels that end just past the hand guards.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom