Traffic stop leads to pistol confiscation in Shreveport?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I no longer put gun oriented stickers on my car because I do not want to attract attention:

1. Of theves
    2. Of LEO when I am travling in commie states.

Only sticker I have is an Eagle Globe and Anchor.

If someone wants to come after me for that... have at it.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Without looking through the criminal code, I'm thinking something like, there is no statutory authority for a Louisiana cop to seize a legal firearm inside your automobile unless he has reasonable suspicion it was used to commit felony crime.

I suspect the incident is fictional. Few cops are that stupid.

You haven't heard of the NOPD? :D:D:D

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    During the course of a normal day, I try to limit what the casual observer might deduce about me. The less a stranger knows about me, the more likely they are to let me go about my business peacefully.

I understand that putting bumperstickers on your car is a way to exercise your first amendment without having to go around telling people what you believe in, and that most people would avoid a person with gun stickers all over their car, but when you present your ideals to a world where roughly 50% of the people aren't going to agree with them, then you should be willing to accept that someone out there is going to actively react to them.

Three or four years back, I had one of the W stickers on the rear window of my Yukon. I'm driving back from the camp, on Plank Rd. right next to the BR metro airport. All of the sudden in my rearview, I see this Avalanche start weaving through cars like he's in a real hurry to get somewhere. He comes up behind me in the right lane and starts blowing his horn and swerving like he wants to pass me, so I yield the right lane to him and get over into the left. Well, he pulls up alongside me and matches my speed, all the while clearly screaming profanities at me. Confused, I look at him and give him the universal shoulder raised, "What the **** do you want" look. Finally, he puts up a folded black piece of paper, roughly the same size as my W sticker, but instead of W The President it says, D The Dumbass. I finally realized what I was looking at and was stunned that it could have incensed this total stranger so much that he would drive recklessly, just to let me know he didn't approve of my decoration. I gave him the universal, "jacking off an invisible penis" sign, and then proceeded to throw the likewise invisible, expelled biological material at his face. He drove away even more pissed off, hopefully that much closer to a stress induced heart attack. The really sad thing is, his 10ish year old son was in the front seat, taking notes from daddy on how to act like a mature adult.

Later on in the day, after replaying the event in my mind, I realized that he could have just as easily been a crazy bastard with a gun, who was having a bad day and would have shot me, just because he didn't agree with my politics. I'll tell you this much, at the time, I felt extremely threatened by his agressive actions and had he been foolish enough to follow me to a gas station and approached me in a likewise threatening manner, he would have been shot. Neither situation is one I would particularly like to find myself in.

My point is, nothing is gained from putting these bumperstickers on your car. I've never met someone who read a clever, politically charged bumpersticker and said, "You know what, abortion is terrible, I can't believe I've been wrong all these years." IMHO, the benefits of being able to exist anonymously when you want to far outweighs the feeling of glee you get when some jerkoff reads what's on your bumpersticker and has a worse day.

What a well written post. I agree 100%. i have absolutely no stickers or decals on my vehicle other than the brake Tag.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I read the transcript of the phone convo between him and Glover. The gun was not seized, the police officer secured it during the stop. He also admitted that the police officer was more than polite when talking to him and did not give him a ticket.

I don't buy the story bout him getting profiled. If he was being profiled and harrassed, why didn't he get a ticket? The cop pulled him over for traffic violation, saw the stickers and asked him about weapons in the vehicle. He secured the firearm, didn't give him a ticket and then returned the firearm. IMHO, any cop worth his salt would have done the same.

If a cop pulls over a banger and see's a pistol in the back seat, is he supposed to just leave it there during the traffic stop?

Edited to add:
    I hate slanted emails and stories like this. When accusations turn out to be false or slanted, it hurts the cause. We give the antigunners a strawman to knock down.

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I also hate those lopsided emails.
    It all comes down to Officer safety, We all want to go home at the end of our shift.
    Gumbo Great post.:cool:
    The only bumper sticker on my truck says Marines
    I don't have one of those blue line stickers on my truck because, I don't want anyone to know that I'm a LEO when I'm off duty.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I also hate those lopsided emails.
    It all comes down to Officer safety, We all want to go home at the end of our shift.
    Gumbo Great post.:cool:
    The only bumper sticker on my truck says Marines
    I don't have one of those blue line stickers on my truck because, I don't want anyone to know that I'm a LEO when I'm off duty.

Is that the sticker I see with the blue bar through the black? So it looks like two black bars surrounding a blue bar? I always wondered what that was.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Is that the sticker I see with the blue bar through the black? So it looks like two black bars surrounding a blue bar? I always wondered what that was.
    That's it, the thin blue line. And they also have wrist bands like it.
    The last thing I want someone to know when I'm off is, that I'm a Police Officer.

If I need to let someone know, I will.;)

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Police Officers LOOK like Police Officers even when they are off. So go ahead and tattoo "I'm the po-po". We all know you are anyway. ;)

I agree. Question: what do leopards rely on between dusk and dawn to eat? STEALTH.

Be safe.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    That typewriter font is highly annoying and difficult to read.

Back on topic, I say it almost every post, keep your mouth shut if the cops ask you about your guns!

With a CCP you are required to inform an officer in an official capacity. Plus if you are pulled over when the officer calls checks you out on the computer it comes up you have a CCP. And he will ask if you are armed.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That's it, the thin blue line. And they also have wrist bands like it.
    The last thing I want someone to know when I'm off is, that I'm a Police Officer.

If I need to let someone know, I will.;)

Like the guy I work with that years ago worked for a very SMALL dept. he has I think 13 or 14 blue line stickers on one of his vehicles. His daughters car has retired LE plates his married son's truck has blue line stickers and a star. And the new truck he just got has blue line plate on the front a sticker on the back with his either LE or retired LE plate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom