10 shot 6 inch S&W 617

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OtterBob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    West Monroe
    Looking for one. I've got a nice S&W 17-3 and would like to replace it with a 617 6 inch 10 shot. Any thoughts.

EDIT BY WHITSEND:

User is not looking to trade, sell or buy. Looking for comparison information.

Last edited by a moderator:

atc26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2007
    Livingston, Louisiana
    Smith & Wesson's model 17 is a really nice revolver. They are nicely finished, well balanced, mechanically sound and very accurate if memory serves me correctly. And, sadly, I do not now own one.

One the other hand, I do own a model 617 - 5 (six inch barrel, six shot revolver). Stainless steel (not as pretty as blued but nice) mechanically sound and more accurate than I will ever be. Nice revolver but with the lug running the length of the barrel I find it is a bit nose heavy.

Which would I prefer ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I find a model 17 looking for a new home though self restraint might go out the window.

Good luck.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    I agree with atc on the 6" full underlug to be a bit nose heavy, I've got a 17-6 in a 4" that seems to fit my hands perfect, especially with the combat grips. I've shot a few 617's and they are just as accurate but I'd try to get one pre internal lock if I could find one for a decent price.
    Here's one of mine:

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
      IMG_0241.jpg
      224 KB · Views: 83
    • IMG_0238.jpg
      IMG_0238.jpg
      225.7 KB · Views: 86
    Top Bottom