10 Year Old Shoots Intruders in Port Allen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No, I don't. Also, my child is not 4 years old yet.

You can rest assured by the time he is 10 I will not have any qualms about it.

The problem with kids and guns is that if you hide them, keep them some big secret, some thing they should be afraid of, etc, etc, they will naturally become more curious and more inclined to "play" with them. Whereas, if you teach them safety, respect, shooting, etc they will, in my opinion, be less inclined to do things they know they shouldn't since their inquisitive nature is already satisfied by you letting them shoot/touch/clean/handle the guns when you are around.

I agree with this, I guess I am just not sure about leaving it obviously accessible for a ten year old. My nephew is only 7, so like I said before, maybe I am just not realizing the maturity of a 10 year old.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    My parents had a loaded gun in the house as long as I can remember well within my reach. Instead of playing with the gun, I played with the phone (may have called china once or twice ;) ) I was taught shooting and safety very early and at 8 I had my own shotgun (albeit in pieces), bb gun and Bow. I think my dad took my gun to a smith when I was 10 and had it worked over and assembled. I also knew my dads .270 was in the closet with the ammo right next to it. Never once did I go playing with the pistol, or rifle that weren't mine. I have a little sister and I'm sure I was left alone for short periods at 10 and progressively longer periods as I got older.

If the mom just tucked the gun away without teaching her children about it and safety I have a problem with her actions.

If the mom was anything like my parents, I don't have any problem with what happened.

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    I agree with everyone's point here. I feel sorry for the dirtbag that comes into my home and meets my 14 year old daughter. The kid can shoot better than I can. I was not allowed to be around guns as a kid and the first time I found my brothers sidearm (.45) I shot myself in the upper left leg. My son and daughter were allowed to be around firearms their entire lives. I made sure they were trained and understood what firearms could do and what they were for. They can shoot anytime they want. She is competing now and doing well. She is a member of the Alex Police Explorers and she has plans to attend the academy when she is older.

With all the latch key kids out there, we run into this type of situation a lot. Each kid is different in their approach to firearms and I believe that there are many that are going to be able to handle such situations. But there are many that are not. That is why it is up to us to ensure our children are well equipped to handle them whether it is at your house or the kid down the block.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Parenting plays a large role in maturity of children.

Duh...:squint:

I mean the way I read the story, the kid was smarter than mom and it ended well.

I tell people to do what hey want of course with their kids, but remember that other people and kids visit, so if your kids can reach it, so can others. I just don't see the need to ttrain a 10 year old for self defense in this context, and I doubt that is what the mother did. the kid poointed the gun, shot and got lucky.

i don't think I would leave a 10 and 8 year old home alone. That may just be me.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I started staying home alone at 9, manly because I kept getting kicked out of daycares for fighting. Anyway I use to walk home from middle school around 3 o clock and my parents would get some around 6ish so I was home 3 hours or so without supervision. I knew exactly where my dads 357 smith and wesson revolver was and never once had any desire to play with it when my parents weren't home. Its funny too because my dad never even taught me about guns. Actually I dont even think he knew that I knew he had one. I was with him the day he bought it and remembered exactly where he put it. Every once in awhile I would go in his closet and see the box and just kinda knew it was there. Not once did I touch that gun or even ask about with my dad. Actually the first time I even put a finger print on it was when I was 18 and decided to clean it because my dad was letting it sit there and get rusted.

Like said above I think its parenting the reason I didnt have any desire to play with the gun was because I knew my dad would take the leather dog leash to me and I respected him. He taught me well and I have alot of appreciation for that now.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom