EBR Sheriff Election

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm not touching this thread... I dont live in EBR anyway. Sid did send all the deputies a letter earlier this week that was kinda nice.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Just imagine the strength of the ERSO if it was civil service, like the PD.

Although I can appreciate the good ol boy mentality and southern tradition, As I grow older and wiser, I see the need for some sort of checks and balances, instead of an almighty supreme.

Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2007
    Gregg Phares and the RKBA

What is the 411 on the candidates running for E. Baton Rouge Sheriff?

I work with Greg Phares on the NRA Committee and he seems like a nice guy that supports our RKBA. What about the other candidates?

Greg Phares apparently believes in and supports the RKBA only as long as he gets to decide who gets to keep and bear those arms, and where.

Here's a flashback to 10/14's Sheriff's Office request prompts ban on guns at FEMA housing in Baker 10/14/05:

…But a top sheriff's official said that while [keeping guns out was] a "close decision," public safety became the most-important concern rather than constitutional rights.
    "I'm a member of the NRA and a firm supporter of the NRA in most instances," said Col. Greg Phares, chief criminal deputy for the Sheriff's Office.

"But in this instance, I had to balance the responsibility of the Sheriff's Office with constitutional rights," Phares added. "I think it's the right decision. It wasn't a comfortable decision, but it is right."

He said the proximity of the 572 "thin-walled" trailers — situated only 8 feet apart — created a dangerous situation.

Either you believe in the RKBA or you don't. Greg Phares apparently doesn't. The Constitution is not a Burger King menu. You cannot have it "your way", no matter what you think of trailer parks and the people who live in them.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    And yes, he signs my checks. But I'm in a unique position; I'm retired from state service and don't depend on this job. I work for the sheriff's office because I choose to, yet I owe Greg loyalty because he IS my employer. None of that prevents me from saying what I think, unlike those who DO depend upon their job and keep their mouths shut...

Well put...

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'm going with Phares. The several times I met Sid G., I came away feeling slimy. STAY IN BAKER, SID.
    Over the past few yars I have interacted with Phares. He has handled himself well. He gets my vote.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Hmmm... I had forgotten about that. Still, it was special circumstances. It had nothing to do with trailer parks; it had everything to do with the majority of those who inhabit those parks. I'm not saying it was right; but its easy to be critical when YOU don't have to face the heathens;or answer to why they are butchering each other on your watch.

What about the law abiding citizens forced to inhabit those trailer parks, even if there was just one or two? How were they allowed to defend themselves.

Circumstances, Shmirkumstances, I call ********. If he doesn't support the constitution, specifically the RTKBA, which he obviously DOES NOT, then he has no business in office.

Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2007
    New EBR Sheriff

If he doesn't support the constitution, specifically the RTKBA, which he obviously DOES NOT, then he has no business in office.

Exactly, and you were the only other user in this forum to support me on that.
    We've seen Orleans Parish and Jefferson Parish run roughshod over citizens for years. The confiscation of guns from law-abiding citizens after Katrina and denial of rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment was just one glaring example. FEMA and Phares tried it in Baker.

I doubt many of the EBR voters yesterday voted against Phares for that reason, but I know a few did. I hope Gautreaux has more respect for the Second Amendment and the citizens than Phares did or the user in this forum who wrote "But he knew how those animals were going to act." When you're in law enforcement with an attitude like that, the Constitution and citizens are going to suffer.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Just for the record:

Sid opposed the concealed carry bill back in 1996; Greg Phares was a supporter.

Unless there is a legal reason against it, Phares approves Class III forms. What will Sid do? If he was against citizens carrying concealed firearms, my guess is that he will be against suppressors, short barrels, & full auto.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Well, Mr. black-and-white/no-gray-area (whom I suspect has never had to deal with this particular sort of vermin)... you have your wish.

Greg Phares was defeated last night in the run-off election.

I'm sure Sid will be a paragon of citizen's rights; regardless of the circumstances.

Wonder how many Class III/suppressor/SBR applications will get approved now???

I used to be safe and secure in my narrow-minded vision.

Enjoy yours.

First off, let me say that I don't live down there so I really didn't have a dog in that fight. I helped put the Sherrif that I wanted into office up here.
    He's a Democrat, but he is solid on the 2nd, so I pitched in.

As far as Black, White & no Grey, well fine. When it comes to denying citizens the RTKBA, you can't get much darker grey than that. My take is that it is Pitch Black. Nagan used the same excuse when he grabbed them for "The Safety of the Community". For the greater good, you know, its for the children you see. Hogwash! You either have rights or you don't.

I believe you when you say he is a good guy. Additionally, it is certainly a plus that he regularly signed off on class III stuff. But he made a wrong decision when it counted the most. I belive you when you say the new Sheriff probably won't be as pro 2nd as Phares. Maybe you would have been better off with him.

What I wish had happened is that his "Gun Grab" had been made a major issue during the election and his loss had been attributed to that. I wish an example had been made of him as a warning to other politicians. I wish I stocked up on SA .308 battlepacks too, when they were so cheap last year. The **** fills up my other hand quicker.

BTW, I wasn't "calling ********" on you. I was calling BS on his excuse for denying firearms to citizens. IMO there is NO excuse. None, no matter how restless the natives get.

Pretend for a sec that you are not a LEO. You had no support base and had to place yourself and YOUR FAMILY in that FEMA trailer park. The natives' war drums grow louder and suddenly the Sherrif shows up and takes your guns to "make things safer". Everyone there is seeing things in "Black & White" but not quite how you meant it.........

For what it is worth, I highly value our LEOs. It is a job I could not do, especially in todays climate were you are hamstringed and second guessed at every turn by people who have no business doing so. I also have some experience with the "scum" you and Phares had to deal with. I saw firsthand some of these characters when they located them in a hotel less than 200 yards from the house I was living in. In my job, we still have to deal with them. I feel your pain. God bless you for the job you do, I mean that!

I still believe the needs of the many do not outway the needs of the few when it comes to grabbing guns.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Exactly, and you were the only other user in this forum to support me on that.

I'm supprised "Louisiana Carry" didn't beat me to it. He is even more of a strict Constitutionalist than I am. He takes alot of flack for his stances here and at other boards. He is either on vacation or tired of getting hammered and practicing alot of self control at the moment.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Let the ******** begin. I feel we lost a sheriff that had genuine concern for pubic safety and are getting one that is more worried about what makes him look good in the eyes of the media.
    Wonder why the Baker PD didn't put out a commercial in support of Sid?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    And your analogy of "what would you do if you found yourself in one of those parks" won't hold water. I wouldn't be found there for the same reason YOU wouldn't; we both would do what was necessary to take care of our families, as opposed to sitting on our dead ass, waiting for the government to do it.

This is true. Honestly, I don't really know who occupied those trailers at the time. I wasn't sure if refugees were placed their kinda like they were placed in the dome and the Centurytel Colliseum up here in Bossier or if they were alot of people who couldn't get out in time and got herded in. The ones they stuck in Centurytel were not allowed to leave. For a number of days they were in fact prisoners. Don't get me wrong, we didn't want them out either. Day two after the hotel next to our house filled up, our neighborhood lost 3 lawnmowers and a bunch of bicycles. After that, we didn't want anyone else "let loose".

Too, they could have called those FEMA trailers "federal property" and then legally you wouldn't have been permitted to have a firearm on the site. But I will say this, if I lost my home in a major disaster and didn't have the family support base that I do, one of those FEMA trailers would have looked really appealing to me until I found more work and got back on my feet. I guess what I am hearing from you though is that the good element found work and moved on ASAP or did they ever end up there in the first place?

Top Bottom