10mm Auto

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCantu357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Just bought a Glock 20 last month. I wanted an auto with the same versatility as a .357/.38 sixgun and the 10mm seemed to fit the bill better than a .40 or .45. Can anyone recommend good home defense rounds for this caliber? LGS sold me some 200 grain Hornady XTP at 1050fps, which seems good enough, being heavy and subsonic. I know the EBR Sheriff's Department carried 10mm for a while when Sheriff Litchfield was in office , anyone know what was issued?

Last edited:

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    1961469_10201719112525080_949844556_n.jpg

CCantu357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. While I have heard of BB and Underwood, I will probably use those full power loads for field use. I was thinking a subsonic load similar in performance would be better for home defense, indoor range use, and for the CC permit class. Academy sells a 10mm Hydra-Shok, but I do not know much of it

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    CCantu357, let me give some caution on just using the Underwood and Buffalo Bore ammo straight up...The factory recoil system may not be up to the task of the higher impulse ammo. That being said the Glock can be tuned by recoil system for the higher impulse ammo (read 10mm ammo).
    Let me invite you to drop by the 10mmFirearms forum here http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php

There are sections on factory and commercial ammo results and details, there are sections with videos for various bullets as they react in gel blocks with supporting details and if you are interested to learn what is inside to make them go fast the is a pull-down section with documentations and picture details.

There is a ton of info and great people to answer your questions, who share the passion that is 10mm guns and ammo.

CCantu357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks Shadow, I will be checking out that 10mm Forum. I will surely caution using that hot ammo. I know the factory ammo is more on the .40 level, but I am still interested on how it performs as a defense round.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have owned a Glock 20 Gen 2 since 1994. It has had over 1000 rounds through it with no issues. Yes, most of the rounds were 200gr or more. Keep in mind that the G20 was made for 10mm. it was not a .45 that was converted to 10mm like the Colt or Smith frames. I still plan to replace the factory guide rod with a Lone Wolf steel version very soon. I load mine with 175gr Silvertips for now.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    You've received some good advice but I, personally, wouldn't shoot Underwood in any of my 10mms, Glock or 1911. They really push the envelope in a way I feel is totally unnecessary with the round and it doesn't take much research on the gun forums to find people who ran into problems, particularly with unsupported chambers, like in the Glocks or Delta Elite. On the other hand, Doubletap has been in the 10mm load development game for a long while and, in my experience, stays on the reasonable side of the power curve: DT's 180 gr SXT loads are some of the most accurate in my Glock, the Gold Dot loads, not so good, FWIW. The Hydro-Shok loads will be on the lower side of the power curve and should make a fine and easier to acquire self defense load. If I already didn't have DT in the ammo locker, I would try either that or the Hornady loading (Critical Defense?? I think it's called) and see how they shot in my pistol. Nothing wrong with the subsonic loads for what you need it for: the so-called .40 Lite loadings for 10mm work fine…a Honda Civic will get you around just like a Shelby Cobra if you're just going to the grocery store.

If you use the more powerful loadings, either go to a steel guide rod or be prepared to replace the stock one often: it will get beat to crap. Mike McNett at DT has worked out spring rates that work well with Glocks, which he used to develop and test his pioneer loadings back in the day. Check his website or shoot him an email for some good advice.

Last edited:

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    CCantu357, you are welcome, I have developed my passion for the 10mm in the 1980's as it was being brought out into the limelight. I have handloaded this cartridge since 1990, sharing information with other enthusiast for years on several forums, Like Handloads, GlockTalk. 10mmTalk, Smith & Wesson Forum and 10mmFireArms which has been the best platform commercial free and totally free forum to the public.

One of the good things on the 10mmFirearms forum we have sections with ballistics gelatin video testing on most of the ammo that has been sold, http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10mm-ammo/10mm-gel-tests/

More recently I have been doing pull-downs of the commercial ammo that is sold and documenting the data with pictures, tested velocities, powder type, charge weight if known and all the data needed to handload it to match. http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10mm-ammo-pull-downs/

Also there are spreadsheets of the ammo as tested and documented by members over their use of the commercial 10mm ammo;http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10mm-ammo/10mm-factory-ammo-master-sheet/

So there is a wealth of knowledge available to anyone looking to learn just about any aspect that deals with 10mm ammo, guns, gear, accessories and even the companion cartridges spawned off the 10mm itself.

Those interested in this cartridge will find the experience educational and a place of comradery.
    So feel free to stop by or even join the forum.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    For self defense, buy the round, in which you can manage the recoil & stay on target. All of pistols in the photo are 10MM'S factory & conversions. The round is inherently accurate & it penetrates all that in a semi auto pistol

Top Bottom